BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Abortion "Weeks after" Pill legally available in Mexico without a prescription
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 11:48 AM
Abortion "Weeks after" Pill legally available in Mexico without a prescription

Just a few years back, in my medical school ethics class, abortion was legal only in DF (Mexico City area - Distrito Federal), A woman contacted me a few weeks ago and asked me where her niece could get an abortion in Mexico.

I contacted a very highly thought of Obstetrician/Gynecologist in Baja and they told me this:

Mifepristone (it's available in Mexico now legally) Tradename ZACAFEMYL 200-400mg single dose vaginally followed by oral misoprostol 400-800mcg and she should start bleeding and be eligible for a D&C in any hospital without any legal problems. This treatment was indicated for a woman who was 6 weeks pregnant.
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 11:22 AM

For a dominant 'catholic' country, this is a great step forward. Hopefully it will help to avoid those large numbers of teenage 'mothers.'

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 11:52 AM

As a physician, my job is to inform and educate the public. My job also is to stay non-biased and open to the patient individuality and wishes, whether they be cultural, physical or emotional.

Most importantly, informing the patient of ALL options is paramount.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
For a dominant 'catholic' country, this is a great step forward. Hopefully it will help to avoid those large numbers of teenage 'mothers.'

It'll only be as good as education and availability. Perhaps the medications should be part of a voluntary sterilization package.....not contingent upon it, just an available part.

"Spay and Neuter ...What the Pope doesn't want you to hear."
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 12:24 PM

Touchy subject, but it's a big step forward. Religion is the problem again. Thanks for the info Dr.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 12:27 PM

Dennis, as I am sure you know, a morning after pill or six weeks after pill in this case, does not come under a sterilization category. Sterilization is preventative, not after the fact. However, now that you bring it up, as part of the prenatal program for all pregnant women in Mexico is to sign a contract to have their tubes tied or to have an IUD placed right after childbirth. Pregnancy prevention is very proactive in the Seguro Popular program.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Pregnancy prevention is very proactive in the Seguro Popular program.

Glad to hear this. It may come as a surprise to those who think Mexico is a Vatican satellite country.
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 03:54 PM

Isn't that
-sign a contract to have their tubes tied or to have an IUD placed right after childbirth-.
not a bit AFTER the facts when it comes to unwanted/ or teenage pregnancies?

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 09:22 PM

well, they do have a big candy jar on the Social worker's desk full of condoms, in the Seguro Popular clinic I worked in, and teenagers from the streets come in and help themselves...they also have an extensive free contraceptive program, anyone can walk in and get pills, bimonthly injections, or get set up for IUD's and tubal ligations, after seeing a doctor and getting a referral from the physician.

[Edited on 5-14-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 09:29 PM

They need the morning after pill as well. All the options should be on the table.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 09:55 PM

It appears it is available without a prescription in Mexico, here is an article in Spanish

http://mexico.cnn.com/salud/2011/03/22/la-pildora-del-dia-si...

It is saying that women are taking it the night before relations to prevent pregnancy as well...well what do you know!!

[Edited on 5-14-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
SwissFrank
Banned

Mood: lovable

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 08:25 AM

EnsenadaDr, Are you a doctor in Mexico or US?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 08:44 PM

I am a Doctor in Mexico, though I do plan on taking the US Boards since my school is eligible under the IMED regulations.
Quote:
Originally posted by SwissFrank
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 05:20 AM

Quote:
I am a Doctor in Mexico, though I do plan on taking the US Boards since my school is eligible under the IMED regulations.
Quote:

Is a medical doctors education (degree) in MX, on a par with a medical doctors degree from the USA?
SwissFrank
Banned

Mood: lovable

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 08:50 AM

Ensenada Dr, Where is your office located?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 01:10 PM

I am in the middle of negotiations right now for a clinic in Ensenada.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
As a physician, my job is to inform and educate the public. My job also is to stay non-biased and open to the patient individuality and wishes, whether they be cultural, physical or emotional.

Most importantly, informing the patient of ALL options is paramount.

Thanks for the information EnsenadaDr, and your position to remain non-biased and open to the patient individuality and wishes is the correct one to take.

I'm personally glad to see Mexico move forward with offering young women the option of of taking Mifepristone. (formerly known as RU-486) Yes Mexico is a catholic country, but the USA is also known as a Christian country and it's good to know both the USA and Mexico are moving out of the dark ages and into the modern world. For example in Japan an abortion is considered a simple medical procedure, that gives women in that country a choice, but that's not the case in the US and Mexico where religion plays a big part of our lives and influences goverment polices.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 03:48 PM

Health care and religion shouldn't mix, but it does in certain situations. And that is why as a nurse and a doctor, the healthcare provider is trained to respect and most of all learn about cultural and religious differences. I remember I had a patient who was dying from myomas or non-cancerous tumors of the uterus. They were causing her to have heavy bleeding during menstruation. The gynecologist told her that unless she had a few blood transfusions before the surgery she could not have them taken out, which would have solved her problems. Yet she was a Jehovah's Witness, and staunchly refused. The doctor discharged her with a near fatal hemoglobin count, but said she had been living with it that low for a long time and there was nothing to be done. The lady was so weak, in this case I felt she should reconsider, and told her my thoughts, but in the end it was her decision. A nurse can recuse herself from patient care if it conflicts with her religious or ethical beliefs, only if she has another nurse willing to take over. From what I am reading in the medical ethics part of the US Medical Boards is that a physician can NEVER ethically drop a patient, only the patient can choose another doctor. MD's don't get off that easy!! As far as abortion being an "easy" procedure, there is always the D and C part of scraping out the uterus to make sure no fetal parts are left, as graphic as it seems. The problem with leaving any of the placenta or remnants of any pregnancy product is that the uterus continues to try to expel the foreign body and continues to bleed. With the aspiration method, there is always a chance of puncture to the uterine wall that may cause hemorrhage. I don't think any abortion is easy and always has associated risks, unless the pill is taken immediately after contraception or the night before.

[Edited on 5-15-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 04:07 PM

The exams to pass the US boards are 20 times harder than the exams to pass the Mexican boards JMHO...
Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
Quote:
Quote:

Is a medical doctors education (degree) in MX, on a par with a medical doctors degree from the USA?
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
The exams to pass the US boards are 20 times harder than the exams to pass the Mexican boards JMHO...
Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you, but I was referring more to the actual education time for the doctor's degree in MX vs the USA.

Would you agree that "20 times harder" board exams would be a good thing, when it comes to knowledge in the profession of medicine?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.