Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Shorties
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:47 PM
Shorties

So the halibut are biting here in BA. I suppose that's good news except I keep seeing a lot of shorties, you know 8, 10, 12 inches, being paraded around by the locals. It's really frustrating to sit back and watch the lenguado stock become depleted for lack of education.

Ni modo...I'll back to grilling....

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 06:04 PM

Get used to it. It is what it is. Same everywhere.:no:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 06:06 PM

give it another generation, there might not be any left. BTW, i saw this show on bluefin tuna last night that was pretty depressing too!

happy grilling!

Tod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 07:12 PM

We can barely handle managing fish stocks in the US after years of mismanagement and many other countries are in worse shape with even fewer regulations to protect stocks. Regulations suck but it is tragic to watch worldwide fish numbers continue to deplete because of inaction. It is the same story everywhere.....too tough of restrictions on the stocks will keep food off the tables of fisherman.....yet the number of fisherman making a living continue to shrink due to decreasing numbers of viable fish.

I love fishing any where but often feel that fishing will turn into a sport only the wealthy will be able to partake it....at reserved spot for a hefty fee.....hopefully surfing won't also take this route.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 09:36 PM

I thought the BA fishermen were more enlightened.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 11:06 PM

Same goes for the short lobsters that keep showing up, either in photos or descriptions from diners about those "2 lobster special dinners".

What really got to me was a poster that called my post "politically correct" when I complained about the lobster shorties being sold in Puerto Nuevo.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

That's what I read here, too.... ???:?:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 08:11 AM

Sad, that paper-thin filet from an 8 incher can't be worth the effort it takes to separate it from the bone and skin.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 09:02 AM

You know, you talk and talk and talk and one day, the light goes off. Don't give up the talking!

:light:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 10:24 AM

Walked thru one of the fish mks., TJ/Ensenada can't
remember, there were 9"-10" cabrilla stacked up,
been going on forever, I suppose it is difficult to
explain the object of conservation to a Mex fisherman
who is fishing to feed his family
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 10:38 AM
Time for a statement

Buzzbee International Newsletter

Dear Members; You all knew we would be catching some flack from all over with the announcement of our Second Annual Buzzbee Hummingbird Tournament. This one, June 12 thru 16 in Panama has lit up more boards than I could have guessed.

I expected a lot of noise from the Audubon people, a lot of bird huggers but Ducks Unlimited? Come on!! And the billfish people. I know I have had to mention some striking similarities between our tournaments and theirs in a few of my flyers and editorial pieces.

When they jump on us I send them the standard stuff in reply; a copy of our Certificate of Standardization for our mist nets and our scales. They all know we are after the smallest bird, not the largest and though our prey might be different in that respect, we follow the same kinds of game protection practices they employ — at times we exceed them. For example we allow no mist netting within 50 feet of a known nesting site.

I have been very clear and vocal with these groups. Yes, some birds are injured, killed in the nets. Yes, some birds are killed, harmed, eaten by raptors, shrikes, even spiders when tournament entrants can’t get to the nets quick enough. To the billfish tournament groups I submit that we lose far fewer birds than they lose billfish (per tournament).

The fishing people have harangued me to death about some things:

A.. Catch and Release, Catch and Release. We release every bird that’s unharmed, able to fly. Always have, Always will.

B. Charitable Contributions. All proceeds of Buzzbee Tournaments International go to charities chosen by the board at our annual meeting in October of each year. In 2001, our first year, we were able to give some $68,000 to several worthwhile causes around the globe.

C. Animal Protection. All the billfish organizations claim that their tournaments aid the fishery, help the fish. I don’t know how that can be. How does catching (harming) fish help the fishery, help the fish? The charity dollars go everywhere except back into the fishery to grow more fish. It seems to me that if you are successful at promoting fishing for billfish, more fish will be caught, killed, injured. The greater your success, the more fish you kill, injure.

Members, take heart. I will continue to keep the record straight with these groups. I’ll update them each time we add another protection service. In February I alerted them about our new rules concerning mandatory net alarms, weighing area enclosure standards, updated feeder placement regulations (including allowable nectar formulae).

Until next time, “Find the Wee One, Win the Big One”, keep the Bees Buzzin.
Osprey
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 10:57 AM

Print up some educational flyers in Spanish and post around town. You may want to do this in the middle of the night while no one's looking.

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho

You are correct but if it keeps up at this rate they won't be feeding their families that much longer.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Then, you werent noticing the pix posted each year by the locals.

Assuming those are CA halibut, I believe they need to reach 23 inches to have spawned.

I pointed this out a couple years ago, after seeing the proud "fishermen" pix and it was met with a big pffft!

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 04:07 PM

How many hummers do you need to make a decent stew?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 04:12 PM

i thought cali was 22".

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Quote:
Originally posted by sancho

You are correct but if it keeps up at this rate they won't be feeding their families that much longer.

i've literally seen a panga with 2 guys cleaning 9" cabrilla on the beach. i mean the ENTIRE panga was full to the rails. cats need to eat, also!

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i thought cali was 22".

yep....so only 10-12 inches short:?:

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 04:20 PM

If Mexico were to enact size limits for various fish species.....what do you think the compliance rate among Mexican fishermen might be?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i thought cali was 22".

Maybe it is. I've been gone a while.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.