Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Unnerving Border Crossing Experience
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 04:54 PM
Unnerving Border Crossing Experience

I had a rather unsettling, if not unnerving, experience with CBP this past Friday night when I was crossing north to return home after a dinner meeting. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar and what the outcome was.

It was late, probably around 11 pm +/-. I was on foot with a friend and, as usual, cleared immigration just fine. The x-ray machine was off-duty and in it's place a drug sniffing dog. You guessed it, the drug dog took an inordinate interest in me. What happened next was, at least for me, like something out of the Twilight Zone. I was handcuffed and taken to a separate building, frisked from top to bottom including incursions into what are generally called one's private parts. My pruse was searched and my money counted. The searches yielded nothing as I have zero interest in drugs, and would never knowingly transport them. I was given a "sorry for the inconvenience" and sent on my way.

What does concern me is that one of the officers had to complete paperwork and I did see that he marked the results as negative. I did, however, fail to ask what happens to the paperwork and where it ends up. Does anyone know?

I did manage to remember to ask the agent who took me back to the main building if this incident would have any affect on my SENTRI and she said it would not. Accurate?

Anyone know how accurate those drug detecting dogs are? I know they are supposed to be highly trained, but how often do they make an error? The one Friday night clearly did.

And finally, if anyone wants to read the whole story in sordid detail, I did blog here so that I could organize my thoughts about what had happened.

My concerns are that this "drug" stop will show up every time I cross back on foot and/or that it might mean an automatic diversion to secondary when driving back across. I am also wondering if it makes me a target, so to speak, for more frequent and thorough inspections. All I really want to do is to be able to go to Baja, have fun or take care of any business and cross back with a minimum of hassel and fuss.

Has anyone had a drug dog falsely react to them? If so, what happened on subsequent trips SOB?

And no, I have no idea what scent the dog may have picked up or what may have been on my clothes to pique it's interest

TIA, but inquiring minds really would like to know.

[Edited on 7-7-2013 by Kalypso]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 04:59 PM

As unpleasant as it was, I don't think this will follow you. You did nothing and nothing was found.
Just keep an eye out for drones around you house. :lol:
Jes kiddin'.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 05:27 PM

yes. Just about everything that happens to you when crossing the border is recorded.

This last time I crossed the agent said Mr... you have a new vehicle that hasn't crossed before..I answered affirmatively and she made some notations in the computer. She then asked if I still had a house in Mexico. I answered affirmatively. So they keep quiet a few records on you from previous crossings.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 05:36 PM

I think if a dog smells something on you again you will go thru the same thing again, that's the proceedure. Don't take it personal, it's what they do. If you bit*h and complain they will just make it harder.
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
As unpleasant as it was, I don't think this will follow you. You did nothing and nothing was found.
Just keep an eye out for drones around you house. :lol:
Jes kiddin'.

Thanks Dennis, that's what I'm hoping happens

And you're right, I did nothing wrong and they found nothing, so it should be a non-starter. And I'll keep an eye out for those drones :O
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
yes. Just about everything that happens to you when crossing the border is recorded.

This last time I crossed the agent said Mr... you have a new vehicle that hasn't crossed before..I answered affirmatively and she made some notations in the computer. She then asked if I still had a house in Mexico. I answered affirmatively. So they keep quiet a few records on you from previous crossings.

You're right, and that's the part that actually scares me more than anything. I have no idea what information they already have, which won't reveal much other than I cross frequently, and no idea what it will look like next time I cross.

Big brother is watching...as Edward Snowden has so unfortunately shown.
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I think if a dog smells something on you again you will go thru the same thing again, that's the proceedure. Don't take it personal, it's what they do. If you bit*h and complain they will just make it harder.

I did try not to take it personally. I knew they were just doing their job and I was being treated the same as everyone else. It's just a damn intimidating process!

The agent that took me back to the main building did say I was the nicest person they'd had in there all day. I'm sure they get some doozies.

I do wish I knew what set the dog off, though
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 06:21 PM

Handcuffed ? seems a bit over the top. My thinking is some of the Border Agents are acting a bit - 'out there'
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalypso

Probably the same hormones that set off a sixteen year old kid.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

I did try not to take it personally. I knew they were just doing their job and I was being treated the same as everyone else. It's just a damn intimidating process!

The agent that took me back to the main building did say I was the nicest person they'd had in there all day. I'm sure they get some doozies.

b-tch and Complain Loudly to anyone who will listen. How the heck do you think we got in this fix .We didn't complain loud enough.

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by J.P.]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 07:06 PM

wow....handcuffed? I would not be a happy camper :no:

Thanks for sharing and I hope it never happens to me.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Probably the same hormones that set off a sixteen year old kid.

Dennis, you just made my day :spingrin: Thank you
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Handcuffed ? seems a bit over the top. My thinking is some of the Border Agents are acting a bit - 'out there'

It certainly caught me off guard. The agent said it was for both our protection.

Really? Like I'm really going to overpower or escape from a police officer who was at least 6" taller than me, 30 years younger with multple weapons?

The room they take you into is in a separate building and you have to cross the lanes exiting the vehicle inspection lanes, so they want to make sure they've got you firmly under control. Plus the gate to get into the other buiding is combination controlled so they can't keep both hands on their victim all the time. Had they just asked I would have gone with them with no hassel.

Never having been handcuffed before I found it to be a pretty disconcerting experience.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 08:39 AM

I do not believe it will be an issue for your sentri. Why? because drug dogs are not 100%. I have been boarded on my boat many times when entering San Diego. I asked the CBP officer why they don't just bring a dog instead of trying to peek in every nook and crany. He replied that the dogs can be easily distracted on the boat, also they can be overwhelmed by different scents. Also at the border, dogs get bored and tired. If the incident is recorded, you would think having tested negative would be in your favor for future inspections.

Being handcuffed is a safety issue and in my opinion a good thing for everyone. What if you were a bad gal and the dog alert was for explosives and not drugs?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2013 at 09:05 AM

"Handcuffed ? seems a bit over the top. My thinking is some of the Border Agents are acting a bit - 'out there' "

You were arrested - the justification being the dog's "alert". Was your treatment "excessive force"? I worked on a case where a police department dog "alerted" on a safe in a jewlery store, whose owner was suspected of illegal activity due to the number of nefarious looking patrons that came and went. He was handcuffed and questioned - and he filed a lawsuit claiming infringement of his civil rights. The safe was empty, but they searched his entire store without warrant. It's a fine line - a judgment call. Other factors must come into play, i.e., "the totality of the circumstances." In your case, IMO, I think they erred on the side of caution - but they erred.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 7-10-2013 at 09:22 AM

Be glad you weren't wearing your turban and very thick coat. HS and CBP are disconnected from reality. Their rewards and promotions come from paranoia and suspicion. They know more about you than you do.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2013 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico

Being handcuffed is a safety issue and in my opinion a good thing for everyone.

In public, it would be humiliating for most people I know. In this case, perhaps some of that nasty "Profiling" would have gone a long way in the PR response.
Of course, we're the only enemy some of those a-holes get to play with for an entire career, so they must be bored.

[Edited on 7-10-2013 by DENNIS]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-10-2013 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
You were arrested

Actually, investigative dention, not an arrest.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2013 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Actually, investigative dention, not an arrest.

That's like calling an ass-whipping, "Tough Love."
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2013 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico

Being handcuffed is a safety issue and in my opinion a good thing for everyone.

In public, it would be humiliating for most people I know. In this case, perhaps some of that nasty "Profiling" would have gone a long way in the PR response.
Of course, we're the only enemy those a-holes get to play with for an entire career, so they must be bored.

Cuffed people are less likely to run. If an uncuffed and detained person ran, officers would be justified in shooting. Mayby not. So, safety is important.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.