Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LORETO REPORT/US Ag Inspection
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 02:08 PM
LORETO REPORT/US Ag Inspection

I have posted this report here becasue of the Ag inspection crossing the border..

Fished Loreto July 28,30 and Aug 1 with Torres Sportfishing out of juncalito. Good service, good captains only the Dorados were missing. Caught only a few each day on both the troll and Sardines largest one about 10lbs.
Stayed Villa del Palmar south of Juncalito. No problems on the way down and back, easy military check points. Went down via San Felipe , some rd work going on by the salada and la ventana, rd now paved almost to Rancho Grande only about 3 miles to go.
Returned to US via Calexico east only 10 minute wait in Ready Lane. We declared our fish and the agent smiled and said you are "now participating in operation fish fry", I think he made up the name but nonetheless we were sent to secondary to have our catch inspected by the Ag agent.. Well we were thoroughly searched all coolers were opened as well and any type of box. We were repeatedly asked if we had any totuaba, we said no... Asked them what the fine was and they did not know, asked how they could identify it said they did not know if it were filleted but they were looking for totuaba parts with scales or gall bladders.. They were friendly and polite but took their time well over an hour.. They came equipped with their own cooler with ice, a knife and a couple of trays for samples. Had some skipjack and they did not know what it was, had to tell them it was skipjack.
Beware if bringing fish back... We were informed this was a new inspection just recently instituted. Told them they were easy in their enforcement and that we have caught
totuaba in the past but released them because were more afraid of PORFEPA than them... BTW we had a total of 4 agents review our catch. I wonder how mcuh that cost the tax payer
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 02:44 PM

Don't you just wish there was some way, when one's entire future is in the hands of some government paper-pusher, that one could ask why it takes FOUR highly trained, armed, law enforcement officers to look at a fish fillet they don't know how to identify!

And we pay them to do that!

Point out their wastefulness and one could spend ALL DAY watching your fish spoil.:fire::fire::fire:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 05:20 PM

They took my ham sandwhich one time coming home , i just made it and was going to eat as i crossed . The line was short so i hadn't finished it . Sent me to secondary and spent alot of time asking where i bought the ham .

It's really sad to see how they do their jobs ....

Just guesssing but after this post i'm sure i'll be seeing secondary again .

Good luck finding the real bad guys . :lol:
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
They took my ham sandwhich one time coming home , i just made it and was going to eat as i crossed . The line was short so i hadn't finished it . Sent me to secondary and spent alot of time asking where i bought the ham .

It's really sad to see how they do their jobs ....

Just guesssing but after this post i'm sure i'll be seeing secondary again .

Good luck finding the real bad guys . :lol:

Don't even get me going about my last crossing at Tecate. Basically, we were sent to Secondary because I said I had some left over meat I had grilled the night before.

The agent who looked at our cooler kept asking me if I planned on eating the meat:?: No, I just thought I would pack it up. He said a "little" meat is okay. I expressed my frustration about the vague nature of the regulations. He said they were very clear and proceeded to show me the pamphlet that was created a long, long time ago.

He said something to the effect that cooked chicken was okay as long as they could tell it was chicken. So I suggested that I should not buy a chicken salad sandwich before crossing. He said, well, that probably would not be a problem:?: After getting him to contradict himself a few more times, I shut up.

I suggested he did a good deed by confiscating the cooked pork loin chops that were purchased at Costco in Mission Valley, San Diego.
Whatever.....

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 04:59 AM

It has gotten beyond frustrating, hasnt it? I am grateful that I dont cross but once every 18 months or so. The truely sad thing is the level of ineptness that prevails through many of our govt agencies. Visualize this: The last year we owned the ranch, I spent almost 2 hours trying to convince a USDA agent that sprouting milo, was not corn. He didnt know the difference. Whats happening to us?

cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 05:41 AM

From Chuckie - "what's happening to us?"

This gives you a hint - the border problems are the least part of it - just another bunch of government employees trying to justify their empires!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/04/congres...
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 12:09 PM
remember the good old days?

...Before the Department of Homeland Security even existed?
You could bring in all the pork you wanted to since you obviously were not a Muslim terrorist.

Bob Durrell
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 12:48 PM

With what's on the plate, it's only going to get stupider. Bureaucracy is relying on black and white compliance of vague regulations rather than insisting employees be screened for a minimum level of common sense before being hired.

Laws are less and less intelligent regulation than they are "Revenue Enhancers"

The USA is flooded in crude oil but prices keep increasing because of "revenue generation" in the tax base. Does government have an interest in controlling the PRIME number of inflation? Jajajajajajajajajajajajaja...........................

The USA is eating itself, becoming a service oriented economy and society. BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! A paranoid, drug addled, over-regulated, violent service oriented society.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.