Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: First hand report on experience with Amerimed San Jose
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 12:18 PM
First hand report on experience with Amerimed San Jose

This took place a couple of months ago:
We had a family reunion planned for the week of June 15 at our home in Buena Vista. We had 14 family members coming from Pennsylvania, I don't think any of them had ever been to MX.

As soon as they arrived at their motel in Buena Vista my 79 year old aunt walked into her room, the curtains were drawn and she didn't notice that the kitchen was a step down from the living room. She fell and broke her hip, not the best start to a week in Baja.

I arrived at the motel to greet them just as the accident happened. We lifted her into a vehicle and took her to the local Amerimed clinic in Los Barriles. There she was X-rayed and it was determined that her hip was broken. They took her to the hospital in Cabo for treatment.

My cousin Teresa (her daughter) was the person who spent the most time dealing with the situation so I asked her to give me a first hand account of her treatment and transportation back to Pennsylvania for surgery. She gave me permission to copy and paste her story here:

Finally had a chance to talk with mom about events at the clinic and hospital and our opinions. Here are a few of our thoughts:

The staff at the little clinic in Los Barriles was professional and as thorough as possible considering the limited technology available. The doctor was compassionate, kind and knowledgeable. The nurse/EMT was also very professional and they tried to keep mom as comfortable as possible.

They did their best to get her to the hospital safely and quickly in the ambulance. After our arrival at the hospital they checked in with us before they left to be sure mom was comfortable and cared for.

The receptionists at Amerimed did their best to fill our needs although the language barrier was often a problem. The doctors were knowledgeable and tried to assist us in making decisions regarding mom's treatment options although after admission she received little follow up attention from the physicians unless a specific request was made.

When it was determined that she would need hip replacement we began trying to find a Medevac service that could transport her back to the USA for surgery. We began searching on Saturday afternoon and using the Internet we located a service in San Diego that was able to transport her. It wasn't until Monday afternoon that I received a phone call from Amerimed's own English speaking transportation coordinator, Char, informing me that the hospital itself had a Medevac service. For some unknown reason none of the hospital staff, doctors or nurses, had bothered to mention that this service was available or that there was even a transportation coordinator. She was quite upset when told that we had chosen another provider because we weren't made aware of the hospital's plan. Obviously medical needs don't stop for weekends and the hospital should have had someone on staff to make this information available when needed.

Mom was admitted on Saturday and no English speaking nurses were available until Monday. I'm sure this was the biggest cause for the delay in her being cared for correctly. During Saturday and Sunday Mom was almost completely ignored by the nursing staff who spent most of their time congregated around the nurses' station. There seemed to be no one officially in charge of the nurses to be sure patients received proper care. Handwashing among staff was very infrequent. Food trays repeatedly sat at the nursing station for hours before delivery to patient rooms and were always cold. Mom arrived at the hospital at about 3:00 p.m. on Saturday and wasn't given a meal until 10:00 that night. Washcloths and towels were never offered during the weekend and we had to used a package of antiseptic wipes I had in my purse.

There was no monitoring of her liquid and food intake or urine output. As a result she experienced a backup of urine and her abdomen got bigger and bigger. After mom passed no urine for over 24 hours I finally insisted through a visitor who was bilingual that a catheter be inserted.

During the nights she was left alone for hours without being checked on. During the night on Monday her bladder was again painfully distended and the catheter line was kinked or blocked in some way because the urine bag was completely empty. Mom repeatedly rang the call bell from 2:00 am until 6:00 am when a nurse finally came in to the room. When the catheter line began working again the urine bag completely filled with backed up urine. I arrived in her room right then and Mom was upset and crying from fear and pain.

She was nauseated and had diarrhea all day Sunday. The nurse couldn't find an emesis basin so Mom was twice given a heavy blanket and told to vomit into the folds. When aides had to clean her some would very unprofessionally roll their eyes and make faces during the process.

On Monday an English-speaking nurse finally arrived and care improved slightly. Mom was finally given a bath and her bed was changed. Vitals were also checked more frequently. This may have been because the hospital was aware that the outside Medevac service would be arriving to pick her up soon.

All in all, the entire visit to Amerimed was very traumatic for my mother and now, two weeks later, she is experiencing nightmares about the treatment she received. With no one to understand her needs she felt abandoned and scared. Besides the pain from the broken hip she also suffered the pain of being unable to urinate, being left alone during the nights for hours at a time and the humiliation of being cleaned by people who obviously didn't want to care for her.

With the hospital being located so close to a famous tourist area more attention definitely needs to be given to having translation services available at all times, including the weekend. In addition, the physician and nursing staff needs to be made more aware of services the hospital can provide so the information can be made available to patients and their families. Improvement in cleanliness and professionalism is definitely needed on the part of the nursing staff as well.

Pretty long winded, I know. But feel free to edit as needed. I get quite irate when remembering what went on and mom still can't talk about the experience without crying. If anything we relate helps others avoid problems that would be good.

RE: Amerimed costs

Before Amerimed would treat or admit my mother they insisted on a guarantee of payment. They requested we provide a credit card guarantee of $10,000. They explained that, in general, insurance companies refuse to pay directly to providers in foreign countries so patients have to pay their costs out of pocket and then be reimbursed by the insurance company after submission of the claims. They further explained that the card would not actually be billed unless necessary.

The evening before she was to be released they provided a detailed printout of all medical expenses incurred at the hospital as well as the clinic/ambulance charges and physician charges. The expenses were, of course, in Spanish and totaled $14,200. When I expressed concern that the charges seemed excessively high considering the additional cost my mother was having to incur being transported back to the states the billing secretary agreed to review the charges and see if any cuts could be made. The following morning she provided another printout with reduced charges totaling $13,050. She stated they cut costs by not charging for the prior day's stay and charges incurred the morning of her departure. The credit card guarantee was used to pay the bulk of the bill and the amount over $10,000 was also paid by credit card. As mom was being wheeled to the ambulance the credit card slips were brought to her for signature.

We did not receive an offer of assistance with submitting the bills to mom's insurance company and do not know if this should have been expected or not. We ended up submitting them ourselves and are hoping for the best.

RE: Binational

Celia Diaz of Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee was extremely helpful in arranging transportation for mom. I had to call her repeatedly during the weekend and each time she patiently answered all my questions. In fact, three of my calls to her were made when she was at home enjoying a family celebration. Each time she willingly took time away from her family, stepped into a quieter room to talk and care for our needs. Her assistance was quick and thorough and was greatly appreciated by us during an unusually difficult time.

She made arrangements with AeroMedevac of San Diego to transport mom from Amerimed to a hospital in Pittsburgh, PA. Also, she explained that Medicare would not pay for any medical costs incurred outside of the USA and mom's supplement would not pay until Medicare made an eligibility decision, therefore payment for the transport would have to be made up front.

RE: AeroMedevac

When I dealt with the AeroMedevac representatives by phone they were professional and knowledgeable. They promised to provide safe travel for mom and they followed through. At various times I spoke with Jesse, Jerry, John and Adam and each was helpful and patient. When they were made aware of mom's travel needs they quickly provided a cost estimate and a tentative time for transport. Initially we were told she could fly out on Monday but due to a full schedule her flight was delayed until Tuesday which was disappointing because of mom's declining health.

On the day mom was to be transported the ambulance service hired to take her from the hospital to the airport was late to arrive. I called Jerry at AeroMedevac who quickly contacted the ambulance service and called me back to explain that they had gone to the wrong hospital but were now enroute to pick up mom. They arrived an hour and a half late but did a good job of moving mom into the ambulance with a minimum of jostling and pain.

I asked Jerry to keep me updated throughout the day as mom was transported from Mexico to Pittsburgh and he did so, letting me know when the plane left the Cabo airport, when it arrived in Laredo and when it arrived in Pittsburgh. Mom said the flight was smooth and fast and the crew was thoughtful and professional.

The cost for the flight was high - initially $37,200 which was then lowered to $36,500. But given the circumstances it was necessary to get proper medical care for mom. AeroMedevac offered to assist in submitting the insurance forms but we were told by mom's insurance company that we would have to submit them ourselves since the services took place in a foreign country. The forms have been submitted and, again, we are hoping for the best.

Mom's getting better quickly and is due to be released from rehabilitation on 7/5/13. Again, thank you both so much for your support through her ordeal. You were both so helpful. We miss you both and your beautiful coastline (PA just can't match it)!

It was an eye opening experience for Jill and I, we thought we would know how to handle such a situation but found that we were just winging it. There was talk in the beginning about her having the surgery in Mexico, the Mexican doctor said it wasn't possible as she was Jehovah's Witness and blood transfusion was prohibited. I was thankful for the help of Gene Grillo (the only local Witness that I know) and his wife in getting them in contact with the local representatives from their church. I called him from the hospital in Cabo and was surprised to see he and his wife come through the door an hour later. They were very helpful and a source of comfort for the family. Another big help was Celia Diaz of BEMC. We weren't members but she took care of us anyway. She was instrumental in getting my aunt home to Pennsylvania and admitted to their hospital of choice. If you aren't a member you should be, we are now.......dt

[Edited on 8-12-2013 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 02:30 PM

Wow! What a story, hope mom is OK now. Have heard of the outrageous prices by that hospital, assumed the care would be excellent. Thanks for the heads up.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 02:36 PM

Which Amerimed hospital was this?
San Jose or San Lucas?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 02:39 PM

I have Medicare part A and B, and Medigap/Medicare Part "F" program..............

"..........Up to specific limits, this gap plan also covers for some costs related to Foreign Travel Emergency......"

http://medicarepartguide.com/f.php

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
San Jose or San Lucas?

San Jose.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 04:04 PM

Similar to Jack, I have heard of and read stories about the outrageous costs. Since this first started in or near Los Barriles, I can understand that she ended up in San Jose. For future reference for those in the Cabo area, there is an excellent alternative located on the sea side of Mex 1 just outside of Cabo called Blue Medical.

Anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that they are at least as well equipped, and their charges are much lower.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 04:09 PM

I hope your aunt is feeling much better soon. I am wondering if La Paz was ruled out because it is closer to the airport?

Thanks for posting this...makes me think about better preparations. Best to you and your family,
W

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Similar to Jack, I have heard of and read stories about the outrageous costs. Since this first started in or near Los Barriles, I can understand that she ended up in San Jose. For future reference for those in the Cabo area, there is an excellent alternative located on the sea side of Mex 1 just outside of Cabo called Blue Medical.

Anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that they are at least as well equipped, and their charges are much lower.

I have heard that they are good but only second or third hand info. I plan to insist that I go there in the event of a medical emergency. I would like to hear a first hand report from someone who has had the misfortune to need their services. They are located across from the Home Depot.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl
I hope your aunt is feeling much better soon. I am wondering if La Paz was ruled out because it is closer to the airport?

Thanks for posting this...makes me think about better preparations. Best to you and your family,
W

Thanks windgirl.
I guess the biggest reason that she ended up at Amerimed is that she was in their ambulance, at the time we didn't have an alternative. If I had more intel on the local medical facilities I could have recommended that they take her somewhere else. The family would have had to have her transported from Amerimed to another hospital. As she was going to be taking a plane ride soon it probably would have been a moot point.

It's always easier to think what you would do when it's all over but when faced with a crisis you have to do something. I really don't think I would do anything different until I do some more research.

karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I have Medicare part A and B, and Medigap/Medicare Part "F" program..............

"..........Up to specific limits, this gap plan also covers for some costs related to Foreign Travel Emergency......"

True, but it only covers the first sixty days out of the USA...which in the case would have helped if she had Part F coverage.

DT...It seems like both place are bad. Maybe you change the title for Cabo to San Jose so people want be confused. Wishing your aunt a speedy and pain-free recovery.
Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 04:27 PM

Glad it worked out.

We've spent a lot of time at Amerimed in SJC. Without question they are like any other hospital, try not to have an emergency nights or weekends.

http://ideas.time.com/2011/08/29/why-you-dont-want-to-get-si...

They are expensive and always remember to tell them you live in BCS and not just the admitting person. Tourists pay more and the bill is done by whoever is working the desk when you check out.

This is true of just about anywhere but people tend to not realize it that there is almost no direct billing to insurance providers in foreign countries. If something serious happens you could be looking at a $50,000 bill real fast.

We've also been hearing that people have been having good experiences at Blue Net in San Lucas. Maybe the new hospital in San Jose that's under construction will be a better SJC option.

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 04:28 PM

WOW..those numbers seem really, really high..when my then 79 yr old mother in law fell and broke a hip in our house south of Rosarito the red cross folks picked her up in an ambulance, took her to their clinic, stableized her and transported her to border to be transferred to Scripts in La Jolla...Total bill $120.... I am glad yours is now in good hands...I would stop credit card payment and try and work some much lower numbers with them..

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 04:45 PM

The accolades for Celia Diaz and her Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee are good to know. The former postings about her and her services need to be revisited along with current information.
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
San Jose or San Lucas?

San Jose.

I don't dispute your story, but my experience at Amerimed in San Jose is completely different.

Two years ago, I had a medical emergency and was transported to Amerimed in San Jose. They did not ask for any prepayment in cash or credit card when checking in. I was put into intensive care with a private room for almost 24 hours. The night nurse checked in with me every 15 minutes. I had X-rays and an ultrasound attended by three doctors. They brought me a menu for breakfast with American items. I said I wanted chilaquiles which was not on the menu and they said no problem. Breakfast arrived within 10 minutes and was hot and delicious. Shortly thereafter the night duty doctor checked in with me and said he was going off duty and was there anything he could do for me immediately to make me more comfortable. He said the day duty doctor would check in with me and 15 minutes later he did. I then went through all the tests and they gave me more pain killers and antibiotics. ALL the staff spoke with me in English, even the night nurse (although somewhat limited). All the facilities were spotless and all the staff practiced good hygiene. Upon check out (I was in a wheelchair) my wife spoke to the check-out staff in English and asked for the bill. They said 10,000! I thought at that point my wife was going to be admitted with a heart attack! The staff said no, no senora, 10,000 PESOS! The total bill for 24 hours in intensive care, X-rays, ultrasound, medications, THREE attending doctors was US$800. As I left the day duty doctor gave me his business card and he wrote his HOME phone number. He said he thought they had taken care of the problem on a temporary basis but I should have it checked out as soon as possible in the US, if not I should call him at home at any hour if I had any problems in the interim. He handed me a 7 page report in English and a folder with X-rays and ultrasound reports. A couple weeks later, I returned to the US and had surgery, the diagnosis at Amerimed had been spot on. Later my Medicare insurance (Kaiser) reimbursed me for US$750 (there was a US$50 deductible) of the charges at Amerimed, no questions asked.

Six months ago we were walking back to our casa from a neighbor's house in the dark and my wife stepped into a hole and turned her ankle. We both thought the ankle was probably broken. I took her into Amerimed in San Jose. She was there about two hours while the attending physician X-rayed her ankle. All communications were in English. The doctor determined the ankle was not broken but a bad sprain with torn ligaments. She was given some pain killers and we were sent on our way. Total for everything was 1300.......PESOS! A couple weeks later she was pretty much back to normal

Again, I don't dispute your story, but I recommend Amerimed in San Jose to our acquaintances because of our personal experiences there. We are 100% satisfied. I can't explain the discrepancies. (We have absolutely no connections with Amerimed company or staff)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by karenintx
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

True, but it only covers the first sixty days out of the USA...which in the case would have helped if she had Part F coverage.

DT...It seems like both place are bad. Maybe you change the title for Cabo to San Jose so people want be confused. Wishing your aunt a speedy and pain-free recovery.

I'm only out of the US for 32 days.....at a time :lol:

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl

W

It's always easier to think what you would do when it's all over but when faced with a crisis you have to do something. I really don't think I would do anything different until I do some more research.

Absolutely correct - there is no value in hindsight. I have thought about this and explored emergency evac services beyond medical evac. On the other hand...the Home Depot option is appealing...one can do much with duct tape and power tools.

[Edited on 8-13-2013 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2013 at 09:26 AM

I am so sorry that your family had to go through this. One lesson to be learned, try not to stay in hotel rooms where they have the split levels - they are very common in Mexican hotels. Between room and bathroom, step down. Not a good idea AT ALL.

Sounds like Celia Diaz is an angel.

I notice that no one slept with your aunt at the hospital, do you know if it was against hospital rules?

Again, sorry for the terrible situation, and it is clear that a translator is vital in these situations. Perhaps you can all form an emergency group, bi lingual, who can serve as go-betweens?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2013 at 09:52 AM

Wow DT what an experience to go thru. Thanks for sharing it, hopefully it will help others.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2013 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

I've read stories here as well but don't know which Amerimed it was -- and part of the story had to do with paying $10,000 by credit card up front.

So, how is Blue Medical an ''excellent alternative?'' You've had personal experience with them?

What does ''anecdotal evidence'' mean? How do you define ''charges are much lower?''

I've dealt with Amerimed in Cabo but it wasn't a major emergency. A surfing accident caused a herniated lumbar disc -- MX MD wanted to do a spinal procedure to help with pain -- I passed. X-rays and exam was minimal costs.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2013 at 10:21 AM

PTSD from a hospital? That's bad.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.