BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Wayno shares pics of Coco, Gonzaga Pavement, etc.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 10:09 AM
Wayno shares pics of Coco, Gonzaga Pavement, etc.

Just received photos from Wayno of BB Bait in Blythe...

Vados south of San Felipe being filled in (not all, yet... so keep your speed down until Puertecitos)!

New bridge just north of Papa Fernandez' turnoff.

End of Pavement, south side of new bridge... No new work south of here, road getting very rough from lack of grading.

Military Checkpoint south of Papa Fernandez' road.

Rancho Grande Bar

Coco

Coco's Quad

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 10:20 AM

basically identical to how we found it 2 weeks ago. from just before Coco's to H1 it is getting bumpy. from the Pemex south about 10 miles it is mostly 35-40mph.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
from just before Coco's to H1 it is getting bumpy.

I was copied on the emails. He noted that he felt they hadn't graded the road between Coco's and H1 for quite some time.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 11:16 AM

Nice post. Nomad style . . .

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
cocoscabana
Junior Nomad

Mood: Que sera, sera!!!

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 01:46 PM

We travel to Mulege every october, and are interested in travelling thru Gonzaga to Lake Chapala this year (we always go Mex1). Picture #4 shows a fairly level surface with rocks. How much worse than this does it get? Chevy dually, 4x4 with 11ft camper (fully loaded by the wife). We are familiar with Baja side roads, as we take an annual trip from San Ignacio thru El Datil down pacific coast to San Juanico. How does this compare to the Gonzaga road, in regard to the road surface?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 02:28 PM

Without a culvert that vado will last about 5 minutes during the first storm

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Without a culvert that vado will last about 5 minutes during the first storm

In my experience, if they built those "Texas crossings" (no culvert) correctly, they would last indefinitely and they would save the price (and maintenance) of a "culvert". But "texas crossings" are not often for "high-speed" roads, which none of us expect in Baja anyway------right??? :tumble:

If you remember, or have travelled the Imperial County section of Highway 78 between Ocotillo Wells and Highway 86 (southwest of the Salton Sea) you might have noticed that it has a half-dozen + "Texas Crossings" (no culverts) and they have lasted for years with minimal repair and much over-flooding, and the road is fairly 'high-speed'. There are examples of these 'texas crossings' all over the Mojave Desert and the Southwest USA deserts. Culverts, unless they are huge, are a real pain in the A-- to maintain in the desert, and they almost always plug-up and overflow in flash-flood conditions, often ruining the road bed above them.

Just my 2-cents.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cocoscabana
We travel to Mulege every october, and are interested in travelling thru Gonzaga to Lake Chapala this year (we always go Mex1). Picture #4 shows a fairly level surface with rocks. How much worse than this does it get? Chevy dually, 4x4 with 11ft camper (fully loaded by the wife). We are familiar with Baja side roads, as we take an annual trip from San Ignacio thru El Datil down pacific coast to San Juanico. How does this compare to the Gonzaga road, in regard to the road surface?
:coolup::coolup:

It is a 2wd graded dirt road. 38 miles from the pavement to Chapala. Washboard surface to rough rocky surface so slow driving. Any car except low sportscars can get through. I would suggest no motorhomes or trailers until it is regraded or paved.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
In my experience, if they built those "Texas crossings" (no culvert) correctly, they would last indefinitely and they would save the price (and maintenance) of a "culvert". But "texas crossings" are not often for "high-speed" roads, which none of us expect in Baja anyway------right??? :tumble: Barry

Yup, no doubt they built those vados correctly.......just like the one immediately south of Cataviña.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

It is a 2wd graded dirt road. 38 miles from the pavement to Chapala. Washboard surface to rough rocky surface so slow driving. Any car except low sportscars can get through. I would suggest no motorhomes or trailers until it is regraded or paved.

now that the master has spoken..... forget the drama. if you can make the salt flats to SJ then this road is a dream!:light:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

now that the master has spoken..... forget the drama. if you can make the salt flats to SJ then this road is a dream!:light:

-------and "SJ" would be what???

----and if you mean by "master" one of the most Baja-educated individuals on the board, and the most helpful, then I heartily agree. :spingrin:

------what "drama"??? :?:

---by the way, I have never personally met DavidK.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 06:57 PM

Yah, Woody... what did I say in that post that isn't accurate or contained drama?

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 07:48 PM

cocoscabanas said something to the effect "we travel thru Datil to SAN JUANICO" = SJ... sorry if it wasn't clearer than your vision.

the master said, " I would suggest no motorhomes or trailers until it is regraded or paved." perhaps i read something into his post where he "SUGGESTS" a dually might want to heed his commands.

i know, i'm reading WAAAY too much into it.:rolleyes:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 09:31 PM

Correct. If a motorhome or travel trailer uses that road as a shortcut, it won't be without a mess or breakage as it is not a smooth, saltflat road. Better to plan on rough and find it smooth than the other way around, yes?

cocoscabana
Junior Nomad

Mood: Que sera, sera!!!

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 09:49 PM

Appreciate the two points of view. When we travel San Ignacio/Datil/San Juanico it is not all salt flats. Having said that, we do not have the Lance camper on when we do that trip. Do not wish to shake the camper to pieces, however. We have a air compressor, so would be able to air down for the 40 miles.

Big decision. We will be coming down this year from Santa Fe, not California, so the shortcut is very tempting!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
"Texas Crossings" (no culverts) and they have lasted for years with minimal repair and much over-flooding, and the road is fairly 'high-speed'. There are examples of these 'texas crossings' all over the Mojave Desert and the Southwest USA deserts. Culverts, unless they are huge, are a real pain in the A-- to maintain in the desert, and they almost always plug-up and overflow in flash-flood conditions, often ruining the road bed above them.

Just my 2-cents.

Barry

"texas crossing?"

i have always called them "arizona crossings"

just my 4 cents!

p.s you can also call them a "concrete paved ford" and thereby avoid thinking about unpleasant places like arizona and texas :lol::lol:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2013 at 07:06 AM

it took us 1 1/2 hours in a loaded tundra. didn't air down. just go.....

edit: BTW, it is nothing like the middle or upper roads.

[Edited on 8-18-2013 by woody with a view]

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2013 at 08:10 AM

Or call them "fair weather crossings". Highway 101 has one just North of Ventura where the highway crosses the Ventura river. When the river really gets going, and washes out the campground there, the water actually comes up over the highway and crosses it. Big long low spot, kinda hard to see, but it's there. Seen it happen.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2013 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Appreciate the two points of view. When we travel San Ignacio/Datil/San Juanico it is not all salt flats. Having said that, we do not have the Lance camper on when we do that trip. Do not wish to shake the camper to pieces, however. We have a air compressor, so would be able to air down for the 40 miles.

Big decision. We will be coming down this year from Santa Fe, not California, so the shortcut is very tempting!

If you decide to take this route just be careful as I'm sure you will be. Last Nov. I came upon a guy pulling a trailer and he buckled his trucks frame rails and broke one of the trailers leaf spring shackles. Here is my trip report. I wound up pulling his trailer with my full size truck and I just took it easy. He did not think the rough road did the damage but the dips before Puertecitos. He was not aware of the dips until too late going too fast. Another thing to remember is there are several holes on the side of the road from Cocos to hwy 1, don't get too close. Watch for the 18 wheelers too. Trip report below.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64258
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2013 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Watch for the 18 wheelers too.

Some of the trucks are REAL big.

Fortunately, the pilot truck stopped us and the other vehicle before we entered the narrow mountain part of the road. We had to wait quite a while as they were REALLY slow, but we were really happy that we did not cross paths with them on the main highway. :yes:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.