Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Coming to a beach near you
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 10:12 AM
Coming to a beach near you

http://news.yahoo.com/radioactive-groundwater-under-***ushim...

TOKYO (AP) — Deep beneath ***ushima's crippled nuclear power station a massive underground reservoir of contaminated water that began spilling from the plant's reactors after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami has been creeping slowly toward the sea.

Now, 2 1/2 years later, experts fear it is about to reach the Pacific and greatly worsen what is fast becoming a new crisis at ***ushima: the inability to contain vast quantities of radioactive water.

The looming crisis is potentially far greater than the discovery earlier this week of a leak from a tank used to store contaminated water used to cool the reactor cores. That 300-ton (80,000 gallon) leak is the fifth and most serious since the disaster of March 2011, when three of the plant's reactors melted down after a huge earthquake and tsunami knocked out the plant's power and cooling functions.

But experts believe the underground seepage from the reactor and turbine building area is much bigger and possibly more radioactive, confronting the plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co., with an invisible, chronic problem and few viable solutions. Many also believe it is another example of how TEPCO has repeatedly failed to acknowledge problems that it could almost certainly have foreseen — and taken action to mitigate before they got out of control.

It remains unclear what the impact of the contamination on the environment will be because the radioactivity will be diluted as it spreads further into the sea. Most fishing in the area is already banned, but fishermen in nearby Iwaki City were hoping to resume test catches next month following favorable sampling results. Those plans have been scrapped after news of the latest tank leak.

"Nobody knows when this is going to end," said Masakazu Yabuki, a veteran fisherman in Iwaki, just south of the plant where scientists say contaminants are carried by the current. "We've suspected (leaks into the ocean) from the beginning ... TEPCO is making it very difficult for us to trust them."

To keep the melted nuclear fuel from overheating, TEPCO has rigged a makeshift system of pipes and hoses to funnel water into the broken reactors. The radioactive water is then treated and stored in the aboveground tanks that have now developed leaks. But far more leaks into the reactor basements during the cooling process — then through cracks into the surrounding earth and groundwater.

Scientists, pointing to stubbornly high radioactive cesium levels in bottom-dwelling fish since the disaster, had for some time suspected the plant was leaking radioactive water into the ocean. TEPCO repeatedly denied that until last month, when it acknowledged contaminated water has been leaking into the ocean from early in the crisis. Even so, the company insists the seepage is coming from part of a network of maintenance tunnels, called trenches, near the coast, rather than underground water coming from the reactor area.

"So far, we don't have convincing data that confirm a leak from the turbine buildings. But we are open to consider any possible path of contamination," said TEPCO spokesman Yoshimi Hitosugi.

The turbine buildings at the ***ushima Dai-ichi plant are about 150 meters (500 feet) from the ocean. According to a Japan Atomic Energy Agency document, the contaminated underground water is spreading toward the sea at a rate of about 4 meters (13 feet) a month.

At that rate, "the water from that area is just about to reach the coast," if it hasn't already, said Atsunao Marui, an underground water expert at the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology who is on a government committee studying the contaminated water problem. "We must contain the problem as quickly as possible."

TEPCO, nationalized and burdened with the astronomical cleanup costs, has been criticized for repeatedly lagging in attempts to tackle leakage problems. As a precautionary step, it has created chemical blockades in the ground along the coast to stop any possible leaks, but experts question their effectiveness. After a nearly two-year delay, construction of an offshore steel wall designed to contain contaminated water has begun.

The utility has also proposed building frozen walls — upside down comb-shaped sticks that refrigerate surrounding soil — into the ground around the reactor areas, but that still has to be tested and won't be ready until 2015 if proved successful.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe earlier this month announced the government would intervene and provide funding for key projects to deal with the contaminated water problem.

"This is a race against the clock," said Toyoshi ***eta, a commissioner on the Nuclear Regulation Authority.

Compounding TEPCO's problems is the new leak discovered this week. Most of the 300 tons is believed to have seeped into the ground, but some may have escaped into the sea through a rainwater gutter, said Zengo Aizawa, the company's executive vice president.

That, too, may be a harbinger of more problems ahead.

Some 1,000 steel tanks built across the plant complex contain nearly 300,000 tons (300 million liters, 80 million gallons) of partially treated contaminated water. About 350 of them have rubber seams intended to last for only five years. Company spokesman Masayuki Ono said it plans to build additional tanks with welded seams that are more watertight, but will have to rely on rubber seams in the meantime.

Shinji Kinjo, a regulatory official in charge of the ***ushima disaster, said the rubber-seam tanks are mostly built in a rush when the contaminated water problem started, and often lacked adequate quality tests and require close attention.

Workers have already spotted two more questionable tanks during inspection Thursday.

"It's like a haunted house, one thing happening after another," said Nuclear Regulation Authority Chairman Shunichi Tanaka, referring to the spate of problems at the plant. "But we must take any steps that would reduce risks to avoid a fatal accident."

Leaks of highly contaminated water from the aboveground tanks aggravate the groundwater problem.

"Any contamination in the groundwater would eventually flow into the ocean. That is very difficult to stop even with barriers," said Ken Buesseler, a marine chemist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts. He found that radioactive cesium levels in most fish caught off the ***ushima coast hadn't declined in the year following the March 2011 disaster, suggesting that the contaminated water from the reactor-turbine areas is already leaking into the sea.

But TEPCO hasn't provided the details he and other scientists need to further assess the situation.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 10:36 AM
More good news

In the following years, the tracer cloud (of contamination) continuously expands laterally, with maximum concentrations in its central part heading east.

While the northern portion is gradually invading the Bering Sea, the main tracer patch reaches the coastal waters of North America after 5–6 years, covering a broad swath of the eastern North Pacific between Vancouver Island and Baja California.

.......After 10 years the concentrations become nearly homogeneous over the whole Pacific, with higher values in the east, extending along the North American coast.......with a maximum off Baja California.......

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/07/radiation-in-west-coa...

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 05:25 PM

:no:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 05:49 PM

the fishing cooperativas are very concerned about the effects of this on the abalone fishery..life as we know it may change drastically in the next few years on the coast.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 08:35 PM

Denial, denial, I'm in a state of denial. Hope it turns out differently.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 08:44 PM

This is a tragedy of world-wide proportions.
It seems an inter-national/trans-Pacific collective effort at handling this would be in order, PDQ.

I've seen the graphs showing the flow of the contamination and I'm unclear if its moved that far, or is a projected trajectory or if its malarky. Anyone?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 08:59 PM

If I had anything to do with the ocean and ocean products (fishing, diving, sailing, restaurants, tourism....) I would be looking for a back-up plan. Remember how the press went nuts with the "swine flu epidemic" in Baja several years ago. This will be about a zillion times worse.........even if it doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
the fishing cooperativas are very concerned about the effects of this on the abalone fishery..life as we know it may change drastically in the next few years on the coast.

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
It seems an inter-national/trans-Pacific collective effort at handling this would be in order, PDQ.

I've seen the graphs showing the flow of the contamination and I'm unclear if its moved that far, or is a projected trajectory or if its malarky. Anyone?

Seems like we had an international trans-pacific collective effort based on climate change evidence. Look how far that got. If there is evidence that the giant multinational corporations stand to lose any money because of this radiation, THEN, there may be some action. I recall two other big radiation spills in Japan, in the 40's. Now, this one threatens the USA. Karma? :lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Quote:

Seems like we had an international trans-pacific collective effort based on climate change evidence. Look how far that got. If there is evidence that the giant multinational corporations stand to lose any money because of this radiation, THEN, there may be some action. I recall two other big radiation spills in Japan, in the 40's. Now, this one threatens the USA. Karma? :lol:

I was thinking the same thing.....

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 07:31 AM

So there will be higher levels of radioactivity but what does that translate to in terms of toxicity? What levels are considered dangerous? We get a dose of what, 5 millirems(?) a year just from being in the path of the sun. X-rays, security scans, cellphones, power lines, etc. also emit radiation.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 08:19 AM
REALITY CHECK

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Quote:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 08:46 AM

Quit eating lobster, shrimp, clams, oysters, abalone and mussels.

If the fish you caught glows, throw it back

Do not swim or dive in the ocean, do not let you dog swim in the ocean

Have another Pacifico

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Quote:

Very true and well said. Science be damned, profit rules.

DK --- those pictures are quite sick and not a reality check as they make it look like we did Japan a favor and tells nothing about why Detroit is in such bad shape. :barf::barf:

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 09:00 AM

Diana, it looks like a normal DK lame/ignorant attempt at a political statement. Just ignore it
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 10:05 AM

Correct, learned in Rad 101 and HazMat tng

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Time, distance, shielding, right?

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Diana, it looks like a normal DK lame/ignorant attempt at a political statement. Just ignore it

It seems to me that DK's post is only "political" if that is what you CHOOSE to interpret it as. (if the shoe fits, and all that). To me it is a snapshot into reality, and VERY appropriate, and illustrates the question of why the city fathers etc. let Detroit decay, and the Japanese made a choice to rebuild their cities into something bigger and more grand than before... The "politics" of it all is secondary, and may just be coincidental :rolleyes:

Barry
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

It seems to me that DK's post is only "political" if that is what you CHOOSE to interpret it as. (if the shoe fits, and all that). To me it is a snapshot into reality, and VERY appropriate, and illustrates the question of why the city fathers etc. let Detroit decay, and the Japanese made a choice to rebuild their cities into something bigger and more grand than before... The "politics" of it all is secondary, and may just be coincidental :rolleyes:

Barry

And just what does that have to do with the subject of the post? Lame Barry!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

Barry

And just what does that have to do with the subject of the post? Lame Barry!

The Japanese have a pretty good history of cleaning up their messes, no matter the cause-----------that's how it relates to this thread, but I was specifically replying to your caustic comment concerning DK, and as always wondering why a few folks DO that? Differences of opinions are normal and healthy-----why get nasty about it? (tho I admit your post was not THAT nasty). :spingrin:

Barry
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 01:40 PM

I worked at the San Onofre Nuke Plant, 5 mi. so. of
San Clemente for parts of 25 yrs., the major owners of the plant, Edison, recently deceided to shut down the plant
for good 3 months back, after replacing major components
that cost 750 mil $, that have not preformed as expected.
When I was there, or now, I would never believe the Company propaganda they put out
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 02:55 PM

Japan has no natural resources for energy production so they chose nuclear. But it is dead center on the Pacific Rim of Fire. Earthquakes go back in Japanese recorded history for more than a thousand years. Nuclear in Kansas or Nevada makes sense, on top of a major fault? With all their sophisticated wisdom where is the massive solar voltaic effort in Japan? This is curious.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.