Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Canelo Alvarez
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 07:47 PM
Canelo Alvarez

Can't believe there are no Canelo fans here!

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 08:16 PM

Fun fight to watch. A great time for all. Mayweather is a good entertainer. Canelo is too slow, young and made a ton of $$$$. Nothing wrong with that.

I had hoped Canelo would bully his way around the ring, but Floyd is too good for that.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 10:08 PM

The same Judge that scored the fight even gave the Pacquaio fight to Bradley....and a woman. I disagree with her decision on both fights, and I saw both of them. I was also a fan of Canelo, but Mayweather clearly outclassed Canelo. I didn't like his attitude when the US National anthem was played and he came out looking like a rapper with Justin Bieber on one side and little Wayne, as my daughter pointed out, on the other side. Looked more like the VMA awards, minus Miley Cyrus.

Watched the fight outdoors in Tecate, front row seats. Needless to say the many Canelo fans were disappointed. But Canelo lived and didn't get KO'd, I'll say that much for him.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 10:51 PM

Not really. He held his own but lost the fight.
Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Cinnamon got toasted.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 11:23 PM

Badly to me is like Pacquaio in his last fight beat to a pulp and then knocked out. I didn't give him any rounds but the scoring was close and no I am not saying he is Mayweather's league because he is not. But it could have been a lot worse, certainly.

A little bit of history, back in the 70's when Foreman and Ali were fighting my dad took my mother, my sister and I to Waterbury Connecticut to a closed circuit movie theatre because in those days there was no HBO or cable purchase for fights in the home or in other establishments. My dad worked on South Beach in Miami and Ali's gym was right near where he worked, and he got to know him well, in fact invited him and my sister on his party bus to Orlando.

I remember being one of the only women out of about 400 men there were only about 10 women including my mother, my sister and I in the Waterbury theater. We were all avid boxing fans way back from the Ali days.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 11:37 PM

Well to each his own. I have seen too many fighters mop the floor up with their opponent. Canelo protected himself to a certain degree and didn't make any stupid moves to get knocked out. Is there maybe a happy medium between being a floor mop and being a brilliant opponent?
Quote:
Maybe badly means something different to you.You don't score points for beating someone to a pulp.Fat lips and black eyes are not scored like knockdowns.Losing every round or at best a couple of draws is what I consider "badly".
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 11:45 PM

That's pretty cool!! BTW, here's a quote from Mayweather about Canelo, interesting perspective:
“I’m not in control of the judging,” Mayweather said in the ring afterward. “Canelo is a young, strong champion. Listen, a guy like that will take the loss and bounce back from it. I’ve been doing this for 17 years and just because I beat him doesn’t mean he won’t still have a good career. I’m still going strong. I took my time and I think if I had pressed the attack I could have gotten the stoppage. But there were a couple of rounds where we kept bumping arms and my arms hurt so I had to pull back and take my time."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/easy-money-may...
Quote:
I lost my lunch money when I bet on Sonny Liston in junior high.Sugar Ray Robinson was from around my neighborhood.Use to see him taking kids around with his organization.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 04:33 AM

I love boxing. I was a fighter myself till I got a detached retina. You might remember me from the tube. I went by Manos de Caca.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 07:58 AM

I think Canelo wanted a street fight, but met a boxer. I wonder how Canelo would fight him again knowing he has nothing to lose because he can't outscore Mayweather.

Hey Doc thanks for filling in the info on the judge that scored it even.

I look forward to Canelo fighting in the future, it sure makes my family/neighbors happy when he fights and wins.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 08:21 AM
OLD Doc ?

Foreman - Ali was 39 years ago.

How old was the Doc ?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 08:45 AM

Mayweather's entourage ringside was Justin Bieber and Lil Wayne. For that reason alone I retroactively rooted for the other guy :lol::lol::lol:

Truth be told, I don't follow fighting so was only vaguely aware that 2 guys were trying to beat up each other in vegas. But after seeing the Biebs I knew who to root for after the fact,...
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 10:00 AM

You remember living through World War 2 and recall the history of that era regarding the Japanese prisoners of war, I don't have that claim of living any of my life during world war 2.Heck I wasn't even alive during the Korean War. What year were you born in Bill?
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Foreman - Ali was 39 years ago.

How old was the Doc ?

[Edited on 9-16-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 10:23 AM

He always seemed like a very nice guy, I guess I was thinking Sugar Ray Leonard!!
Quote:
I was too young to see Sugar Ray Robinson fight in his prime but my dad said pound for pound he was one of the best.I took his word for it.
There was a mom and pop market across the street from the motorcycle shop I was involved with.That was where I would see him buy candy and ice cream for the kids.From across the street I would yell,"hey champ!"and he would always wave back.

[Edited on 9-16-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 10:39 AM

No I don't but I wish I had seen it. If you can remember the name let me know. I would like to look it up.
Quote:
That was a great time for boxing.Leonard,Hearns,Duran,Hagler,etc.
Do you remember a reality show with Leonard as the host?It was about aspiring middle weights.I really liked that show but was replaced with "Dancing with the Stars".I hate that show!!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 12:21 PM
Remembering and otherwise

Doc can't find a single statement in which I ever stated anything about WWII events as a witnessed event.

Unlike her, I DO study history (including a current selection regarding the North African campaign), as opposed to simply looking items up on the Web and getting them hysterically wrong as she does.

HOWEVER, SHE stated a first-hand memory regarding Foreman-Ali that sounds suspiciously like BS:

".........I remember being one of the only women out of about 400 men there were only about 10 women including my mother, my sister and I in the Waterbury theater. We were all avid boxing fans way back from the Ali days.........."

I THINK she's LYING.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 03:04 PM

Really Bill? And what in your esteemed brilliant deducing mind skills makes you think that?
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Doc can't find a single statement in which I ever stated anything about WWII events as a witnessed event.

Unlike her, I DO study history (including a current selection regarding the North African campaign), as opposed to simply looking items up on the Web and getting them hysterically wrong as she does.

HOWEVER, SHE stated a first-hand memory regarding Foreman-Ali that sounds suspiciously like BS:

".........I remember being one of the only women out of about 400 men there were only about 10 women including my mother, my sister and I in the Waterbury theater. We were all avid boxing fans way back from the Ali days.........."

I THINK she's LYING.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 06:06 PM

If we can bring the discussion back to the fight this past Saturday, I'll chime in that Canelo did not win a single round on my card. He was beaten badly for a "prime contender". Prior to the fight I was on the wall about whether he would become The One. He very obviously did not make that accomplishment.

Any time the judges can call the fight, it's open to problems. The best quote I heard was from a Canelo fan and ESPN boxing analyst, Teddy Atlas who stated that after reviewing the female judge in question he thought she was either blatantly incompetent or corrupt.

BTW, I remember the Liston/Clay fight which I listened to in a blow by blow live radio broadcast in a Greyhound Bus station. What a great memory! Thanks for stimulating that neuron.....;)

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
The same Judge that scored the fight even gave the Pacquaio fight to Bradley....and a woman. I disagree with her decision on both fights, and I saw both of them. I was also a fan of Canelo, but Mayweather clearly outclassed Canelo. I didn't like his attitude when the US National anthem was played and he came out looking like a rapper with Justin Bieber on one side and little Wayne, as my daughter pointed out, on the other side. Looked more like the VMA awards, minus Miley Cyrus.

Watched the fight outdoors in Tecate, front row seats. Needless to say the many Canelo fans were disappointed. But Canelo lived and didn't get KO'd, I'll say that much for him.

Yes, I agree with you, Mayweather clearly outclassed Canelo. I was surprised because Mayweather is 13 years older than Canelo. I also agree that he was disgraceful when he chewed gum during our anthem and his supporters did not respect our national anthem.
Note, Canelo and his grout also sang and showed respect during Mexico's National anthem

bacquito
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 08:50 PM

Quote:

Yes, I agree with you, Mayweather clearly outclassed Canelo. I was surprised because Mayweather is 13 years older than Canelo. I also agree that he was disgraceful when he chewed gum during our anthem and his supporters did not respect our national anthem.
Note, Canelo and his grout also sang and showed respect during Mexico's National anthem

bacquito
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 09:08 PM

I had never seen Mayweather fight before, so when he got all dressed up and looked like a rapper, I thought he looked ridiculous. Then I saw this crazy guy next to him and my daughter said, "Look mom, there's Justin Bieber and Little Wayne" I guess my evaluation of his being more of a rapper than a boxer was pretty accurate. Canelo looked like a boxer the whole time, but I didn't understand what he kept doing with his jaw like he was forcing a smile. Yes, Canelo was very respectful of the Mexican National anthem and sang like you said. I couldn't believe how classy Mayweather boxed considering the costume he had on. Looks are deceiving, like they say.
Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Quote:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.