Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Baja - 215 Million Years Ago
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2013 at 07:13 PM
Baja - 215 Million Years Ago

An interesting view of Baja from 215 million years ago.

Completely underwater(EDIT I WAS WRONG. BAJA WAS NOT UNDERWATER):

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/09/what-d...

I have not verified this with any geologists or plate tectonic dudes but I thought this looked interesting.

[Edited on 9-24-2013 by Ateo]

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-23-2013 at 08:05 PM

Actually it wasn't underwater---it would be attached to what would become mainland Mex....Baja didn't become a peninsula until starting around 10 million yrs ago. Interesting image---cool to see what things looked like back then.
OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2013 at 10:13 PM

That image is not of Baja, but rather remnant offshore islands off the coast of what is now Oregon, Washington and Vancouver. If you follow the link and study the progressive images, Baja does not rift off of Mexico until the third to the last image.

Very cool site though, especially the pre-Pangea artwork.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 04:47 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but completely not acceptable. First off, if you look at the overlain 'lines' of the continent to the right, it's showing the entire west coast of the U.S. and Canada, and Baja originated from the coastline of aproximately Mazatlan northward for about 1500 kliks. The faint image of present-day Baja at the bottom is fantasy. At 200 M. BC eastern Utah, Colorado and points north and south were inundated by a shallow sub-tropical sea, and the whole continental plate was situated sub-tropical, just above the equator and a living gaspacho soup of teeming sea-life and proto-dinosaurs like crocs and such, not to mention the megalodon shark. The map is total fantasy. Our continent had barely separated by a mega-continent including Africa, South America and western Europe, not to mention Australia and Antarctica. Wild stuff, huh! At 215m years my favorite formation, the Chinle, was deposited in Arizona, Utah, and surrounding areas, and gave us the Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, and the great uranium booms of the late 40's. At that time the area was an inland sub-tropical freshwater shallow lake much like central Florida today with huge Cyprus trees and lots of mud, volcanic ash and critters i'd hate to meet in person.

Baja didn't separate (much like the Great Rift Valley of Africa) until a mere 5m years ago, the Sea of Cortez is even younger, about 3 m. That's why much of Baja is covered with a basalt 'cake glaze' from all the vulcanism associated with the splitting...... it was one helluva place to roast hot dogs for a few millenia. Everywhere you look there are old volcanic cones, plugs and dykes, and some new ones. Every time i cross the Viscaino i always hope to see Tres Virgenes smoking a little... it ain't over yet. Most of Baja geology is less than 50 m.y.o., with much of it even quite a bit younger. There's a few parts of it older but not much. It's a fast moving sonofagun too, and is still scooting northward about as fast as your fingernails grow for the time being. Less than another 100m.y. and we'll get tacos at Fisherman's Wharf.

Other than that i really don't have an opinion on the matter.:spingrin

[Edited on 9-24-2013 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 08:04 AM

Thank you Ateo... very cool map... and it does show that where Baja is (and the U.S. states are) NOW. Baja now was the ocean then... As stated above, Baja broke away from Mexico much later and it and the Pacific Plate it is part of are moving north, away from the North American Plate (which the rest of Mexico is part of).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 08:15 AM

I stand corrected, and feel like an idiot for forgetting that Baja broke off of the Mainland.

[Edited on 9-24-2013 by Ateo]

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 08:19 AM

What I want to know is, did the dinosaurs speak Spanish or English was back then??
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 08:31 AM
Paleogeography and Geologic Evolution of North America

Here you go, this is the most comprehensive set of paleomaps of North America that I know of.
Ron Blakey, the creator is acknowledged as a leader in the field of Paleogeography
Paleogeography and Geologic Evolution of North America
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
What I want to know is, did the dinosaurs speak Spanish or English was back then??

Man was working with dinosaurs to make them bilingual then that whole meteor thingy happened near Cancun and messed it up.

Ateo/bajabuddha/Bwana- thanks for the links. I have always been fascinated with tectonics and the origins of the earth, at least the theory. :saint:

Fascinating reading, all of it. :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

You will find your answer in the Flintstones.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 11:04 AM

Here's another GREAT read for you: "Roadside Geology and Biology of Baja California" by John Minch, available at PO box 4244 Mission Viejo, CA 92690 (800)367-0117. It's a klik-by-klick of each road in Baja (16 different logs) and Mr. Minch is a geologist, so a lot of the info is waaaay over my head, but still there's plenty to glean out of it, and his wife is a biologist and talks also about flora and fauna along the way, giving kilometer-post #'s as they go... sometimes they're a little off (and sometimes a little more) on their marker-calling, and some of the highway distances have changed with the newer pavings.

It's a great book to have in the hands of a co-pilot as you drive; reading the chapters and details as you come to them. I almost got to see a few of them when not white-knuckled on Hwy 1, brief glances and scenic pull-outs help when possible. Tremendous details with a glossary of technical terms in the back for reading at camp in the evenings. Takes a little figgerin' out, he's definitely one o'them book-larnin' collidge types ya know. Anyway, the more you learn about Baja the more there is to find out.

Happy trails.
bb

86 - 45*

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 01:44 PM

Where pray tell did all the aquifer water come from? When did it manage to find its way to underground reservoirs? Was the Baja California peninsula inundated with -that- much rain at one time or another? Or was the peninsula a ten million year old fragment broken off near Mazatlan and the winter we drink in many places stored in aquifers ten million years old?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Where pray tell did all the aquifer water come from? When did it manage to find its way to underground reservoirs? Was the Baja California peninsula inundated with -that- much rain at one time or another? Or was the peninsula a ten million year old fragment broken off near Mazatlan and the winter we drink in many places stored in aquifers ten million years old?

The last Ice Age David... and that was like 'yesterday' in the history of the world, man was already afoot and even walked from Siberia to Alaska (to Baja) because sea levels were so much lower... this was about 13,000 and more years ago.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Here's another GREAT read for you: "Roadside Geology and Biology of Baja California" by John Minch, available at PO box 4244 Mission Viejo, CA 92690 (800)367-0117. It's a klik-by-klick of each road in Baja (16 different logs) and Mr. Minch is a geologist, so a lot of the info is waaaay over my head, but still there's plenty to glean out of it, and his wife is a biologist and talks also about flora and fauna along the way, giving kilometer-post #'s as they go... sometimes they're a little off (and sometimes a little more) on their marker-calling, and some of the highway distances have changed with the newer pavings.

It's a great book to have in the hands of a co-pilot as you drive; reading the chapters and details as you come to them. I almost got to see a few of them when not white-knuckled on Hwy 1, brief glances and scenic pull-outs help when possible. Tremendous details with a glossary of technical terms in the back for reading at camp in the evenings. Takes a little figgerin' out, he's definitely one o'them book-larnin' collidge types ya know. Anyway, the more you learn about Baja the more there is to find out.

Happy trails.
bb

Indeed... great book on the subject:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 02:15 PM
8 Million Years Ago

Baja moving away and north... Cabo was once connected to the Puerto Vallarta area of Mexico.

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 05:45 PM
OK I'LL BITE

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

The last Ice Age David... and that was like 'yesterday' in the history of the world, man was already afoot and even walked from Siberia to Alaska (to Baja) because sea levels were so much lower... this was about 13,000 and more years ago.

Ice age. Ice?. Moraine valleys?, Glaciers? 13,000 years ago was not that long ago and I will be damned if I see evidence of glacial action anywhere on the peninsula. Did rivers flow uphill from Nayarit and Colima and flood the peninsula? Fresh water. Aquifers with the amount that San Quintin had and what Cd. Constitucion and Vizcaino has did not form with piddlyassed yearly rainfall. What rainfall? Some parts of the jigsaw don't jibe.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 05:52 PM

The area was wetter.. and the vast underground supplies once benief the Vizcaino Desert (and Magdalena Plain?) were attributed to the Ice Age weather... I will try and find my source for that, if you like. I do believe I read it in the '70's?

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry to burst another bubble, but the water in the synclines of lower and middle Baja were deposited in the CRETACEOUS period 65 to 75 MILLION years ago back before Baja was a gleam in its' father's eye, even 50 m.y. before Baja decided to cecede from the continent. Synclines are filled-in geologic depressions, anticlines are lifts or 'bubbles' in the strata. When you have both, the water falls into the synclines forcing oil into anticlines (oil floats on water) known as "hydrostatic pressure". The synclines of the Viscaino and the Insurgentes areas hold water literally over 60 million years old, trapped there by impermiable layers underneath that don't let them go anywhere, hence a 'static' reservoir or huge underground lake. Then over the millenia it got filled in with sand and sediment. Cool, huh. Problem is, they mine the water for the huge agricultural areas, great soils, very clean waters, but when it's gone, IT'S GONE FOREVER and the whole area will return to its' desert-past-state, and never to return again. No replenishment. San Quintin has El Picacho Del Diabalo mountains to call upon, the rest of the current southern Baja ag. is doomed, and not too far into the future either. It's all in that book you posted. Great read.
bb

[Edited on 9-25-2013 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 05:59 PM

If you are correct, you aren't bursting any bubble... I welcome facts on the past!

I am just recalling a memory... I think maybe it is DavidE who you want to address with the pre-historic water idea...

Thank you for details... Hard to imagine that the location of water below today's ground level, was there for that long... is still below the ground at an accessible depth...?

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ice age. Ice?. Moraine valleys?, Glaciers? 13,000 years ago was not that long ago and I will be damned if I see evidence of glacial action anywhere on the peninsula. Did rivers flow uphill from Nayarit and Colima and flood the peninsula? Fresh water. Aquifers with the amount that San Quintin had and what Cd. Constitucion and Vizcaino has did not form with piddlyassed yearly rainfall. What rainfall? Some parts of the jigsaw don't jibe.

I can show you evidence of glacial action down here in the east cape, can't tell you when it happened but it is apparent.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.