BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Link to IMSS (Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social) health insurance in English
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-26-2013 at 12:15 PM
Link to IMSS (Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social) health insurance in English

http://www.imss.gob.mx/english/Pages/default.aspx
Nan&D
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 12:53 PM

We have just completed all the steps in our IMSS applications. We started the process in Bahia Asuncion, went to G Negro admin office for further paper work and payment, then completed back in BA. N

Visit us for info and pics of Bahia Asuncion and Galaria Bahia at http://www.nancypridham.blogspot.com
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 06:46 PM

Thanks!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 08:57 PM
Seguro Popular

Signed up for Seguro Popular in Ensenada about 3 weeks ago. Took about 15 minutes, no cost, no exams.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 09:22 PM

Seguro Popular isn't Seguro Social (IMSS)

The coverage of Seguro Popular is, arguably, inferior to Seguro Social unfortunately.

Seguro Popular is Mexico's socialized medicine, one might say. It's available at no cost to anyone legally residing in Mexico. At the satellite clinics in the smaller towns you'll be seeing a resident, not full-fledged licensed doctor. Coverage is limited. Medicines are scanty.

Seguro Social (IMSS) is a step up from Seguro Popular. It is offered to employees and their dependents of businesses and to others who can meet the premiums, I believe. Coverage is better than Seguro Popular.

Perhaps someone with more direct experience than I can lend their voice, please.

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 09:26 PM

Yup, but it is good as a back up and initial coverage here, before we go to San Diego for anything serious

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

The coverage of Seguro Popular is, arguably, inferior to Seguro Social unfortunately.

Seguro Popular is Mexico's socialized medicine, I believe. It's available to anyone resid

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 10:51 PM

I'd like to suggest that you go to the local hospitals that actually take these types of Mexican insurance and see if you REALLY want to go there. Talk to other people who have gone there out of necessity and who are knowledgeable about health care. In our case, the answer is a definite NO.

But, if cost is your bottom line when it comes to insurance, have at it.............

Remember that contracting infections while be treated has become a major issue in hospitals everywhere. The IMSS and S.P. hospitals are abysmal in this regard over here.

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by Hook]

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 05:27 AM

One thread which gives you some good information and delves into the differences between IMSS and Seguro Popular is this thread:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69315#pid8458...
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 05:38 AM

I suggest you do a search for IMSS or Seguro Popular Mulegena on Baja Nomad. We have discussed the pros and cons in great detail of both health care services and maybe one day Doug might decide to subdivide the topic in a Medical services and programs available in Mexico category.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 05:44 AM

I don't agree with this. IMSS is overloaded with workers/patients from the general population. And I have seen many patients being refused at IMSS because they are losing their jobs and then come to Seguro Popular. I have seen patients piled up in the ER, and heart attack patients waiting for a bed in IMSS Ensenada. The doctors are good but the system is way overloaded. Coverage in IMSS for extraneros costs more than Seguro Popular, and there are several restrictions as outlined in the other threads I linked above. The links are not that long to read and provide unbiased personal experiences from both healthcare organization.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

Seguro Popular is Mexico's socialized medicine, one might say. It's available at no cost to anyone legally residing in Mexico. At the satellite clinics in the smaller towns you'll be seeing a resident, not full-fledged licensed doctor. Coverage is limited. Medicines are scanty.

Seguro Social (IMSS) is a step up from Seguro Popular. It is offered to employees and their dependents of businesses and to others who can meet the premiums, I believe. Coverage is better than Seguro Popular.

Perhaps someone with more direct experience than I can lend their voice, please.

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by Mulegena]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 03:09 PM

Yes I have worked in a clinical capacity at IMSS Ensenada. I personally attended to a patient in the ER that was having chest pain but had been left on a gurney for 36 hours in the ER. Of course this happens in the US, but not usually with chest pain. The hospital was very run down and the EKG equipment was full of gel that was stuck to the electrodes and was very dirty. I am spoiled though, I am used to working with state of the art equipment in the US.
Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I don't agree with this. IMSS is overloaded with workers/patients from the general population. And I have seen many patients being refused at IMSS because they are losing their jobs and then come to Seguro Popular.

Have you actually worked in an IMSS clinic or hospital? I'm curious what happens if one is away from one's home clinic and needs medical care...
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 07:56 PM

as long as if they go to an IMSS facility yes. Obviously you are not covered outside of Mexico. We had many patients from Sonora come with an IMSS membership card to Baja Norte and they were accepted in the system, even though the card looked different.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-23-2013 at 06:48 AM

Where are you right now? Do you expect to be away from your "home" hospital? I don't think changing home hospitals or clinics for non-emergencies would be a problem, but rules vary in different parts of Mexico, at least with charges for Seguro Popular. Baja Sur charges for signing up with Seguro Popular while Ensenada does not. Why not take the time if you are in the area and talk to the membership department at your local IMSS and find out?
Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
as long as if they go to an IMSS facility yes.

Thanks. I heard somewhere that non-emergency stuff requires that one be "home", you ever run into that?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-23-2013 at 03:26 PM

Only because the rules change so much from place to place and from person to person. Better to get it from the horses mouth. Nothing is 100% sure in healthcare in Mexico!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.