Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 9 minutes at otay border
deanfootlong
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 02:34 PM
9 minutes at otay border

hey guys. first time poster here. Long time lurker tho. I swear I tried every day for 6 months to try to join bajanomad forums but it said the max number of registrations per day had been met. glad i finally got registered. Anyhow, I normally take trips down to san felipe and into the south campos (shell beach, rancho coloradito, etc. so David K's posts have always been a pleasure to read since I know he goes there often too) but this time I went to puerto nuevo for a friends 30th birthday party. entered through san ysidro which was a breeze. then decided to return through otay on sunday morning. I accidently jumped in the Ready Lane and couldnt turn around by the time I noticed it. All my wife and I have is a passport book, no passcard with RFID. It took a whopping 9 minutes to cross at 830am sunday morning. the CBP agent was cool about it and said it happens. I have heard about people getting the threat of being fined up to 5,000 dollars for accidently crossing in the sentri lane without a sentri pass. any such penalty for those of us newbies that jump in the ready lane by accident?
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 02:50 PM

If you do it on purpose and they recognize you, they can yell at you or punish you by sending you to secondary, but no, generally there's no penalty for accidentally jumping in the ready lane.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 03:31 PM

must be very common at san ysidro, the fast pass lane merges with the ready lanes soooooo..........
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 03:40 PM

It's about your screen name, señor........ "deanfootlong".
Explain.........innuendo here isn't lost, and my first impression is that it's inappropriate.

[Edited on 10-14-2013 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Explain.........innuendo here isn't lost, and my first impression is that it's inappropriate.

DENNIS,

Come on it's obvious, he owns a Subway franchise.

Ken

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

DENNIS,

Come on it's obvious, he owns a Subway franchise.

Ken

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. C'mon Dennis, get your mind out of the gutter.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. C'mon Dennis, get your mind out of the gutter.

OK....when "Deepthroat Baja Debbie" cums on board, I hope you guys remember this.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 04:48 PM

ever since he got that "honored" moniker under his name.............:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 04:54 PM

Welcome aboard dean... I guess when my passport expires in a couple more years, it will be replaced with the chip included one (that came out a year or so after I got my last passport)... Hope you had fun at Puerto Nuevo! I am not getting to either side of Baja much lately. Hope that changes soon!
For those trying to register, do so asap after 4pm PDT. I did hear that there were some changes on Nomad that will make it easier, however.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 04:56 PM

Willardguy,

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that before.

:O
deanfootlong
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 04:57 PM

Hahaha sorry guys. It's just a long time joke. I'll submit a request to change it if it offends anyone. No biggie.

Anyhow, yeah I need to get an RFID pass card next time. Or just get one now additionally to my passport.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deanfootlong
Hahaha sorry guys. It's just a long time joke. I'll submit a request to change it if it offends anyone. No biggie.

Anyhow, yeah I need to get an RFID pass card next time. Or just get one now additionally to my passport.

Avoid all of that and get a SENTRI

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 08:54 PM

FYI

Passports with RFID's are not accepted in the Ready Lane. It must be in the form of a card. You can order a passport card at anytime that will be associated with your passport and will expire on the same expiration date.

Here is the exact requirements from the DHS web page

What documents can I use to enter the Ready Lane?

WHTI-compliant, RFID-enabled cards approved by the Department of Homeland Security include: the U.S. Passport Card; the Enhanced Driver's License (EDL); the Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC); Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry and FAST cards); the new Enhanced Permanent Resident Card (PRC) or new Border Crossing Card (BCC). Ready Lane locations can be found here.

SENTRI and NEXUS lanes are reserved strictly for the use of SENTRI, NEXUS and Global Entry card holders.

All travelers in the vehicle over the age of 16 must have an RFID-enabled card to use the Ready Lane. Children 15 years old and younger may travel in the Ready Lane with adult travelers if all adults in the vehicle have an RFID-enabled travel card.

U.S. Passport Cards can be obtained through the Department of State.

NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST cards can be obtained through the CBP website.

Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDL) can be obtained from a local DMV or government office in the states of New York, Washington, Vermont, and Michigan, as well as in the Canadian provinces of Ontario, British Columbia, Quebec, and Manitoba. Note: If you applied and are waiting for the EDL, the receipt or temporary notice you may have received is NOT a valid travel document.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

[Edited on 10-15-2013 by CortezBlue]

[Edited on 10-15-2013 by CortezBlue]
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 01:27 PM

Yah, CortezBlue is right. I have to say, SENTRI is a good idea if you're going to cross more than twice a year... not least because it also avoids the Naked Scanners and the Governmental Testicular Cancer Exams at the airport and the ridiculous milling line at the international arrivals hall.
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 09:38 AM

I crossed by accident in the Sentri lane once at San Ysidro, I'll never do that again! I got into the lane by mistake and then could not get out! It was late at night, and my kids were with a babysitter and I could not call them due to lack of Mexico coverage on my phone. When I got to the border agent, he didn't care that it was accidental, he made me wait for quite awhile in secondary, then turned me around, sent me BACK into Mexico and made me wait in the border line again. I was hours and hours late picking up my kids, they were all freaking out. No, I won't be getting into the Sentri lane again. I've thought about getting a Global Entry pass, but the problem is that everyone with you also has to have it, or there's no point.

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. Henry David Thoreau
deanfootlong
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 11:30 AM

wow thats misrable. what a crappy experience.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
must be very common at san ysidro, the fast pass lane merges with the ready lanes soooooo..........

Not any more (though it'll change again soon, I'm sure, because they're still doing construction). There's always been bollards between the SENTRI and the Ready Lane (though no bollards between SENTRI and bus lanes), and this time we crossed in the rightmost regular lane and there were Jersey barriers preventing people from merging from regular into Ready and vice versa.
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 12:34 PM

So I'm confused. There is now another category called READY, in addition to SENTRI and regular-people-lanes.

Since I have a brand spanking new PASSCARD with chip, which is the READY lane northbound at San Ysidro?

Last crossing was April 2012 just a major construction was getting underway.

I already know about the new southbound entry into Mexico.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.â€
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 12:43 PM

the ready lanes are what used to be the east lanes, across the river. there's also a 4th option, the fast pass lane which is accessed from the col.fed. lane. (participating hotels and restaurants offer these if you spend some dough at their places)
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deanfootlong
I accidently jumped in the Ready Lane and couldnt turn around by the time I noticed it

Crossed at Otay a while back, wasn't paying attention,
the lane wasn't walled off by K rails or marked,
must have been 30 min.
in line, a sign overhead our lane, Sentri, no luck changing lanes, don't know if being sent to secondary was our
scolding or not
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.