Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Whew, What a Relief!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 03:22 PM
Whew, What a Relief!

Many Nomads are vitally interested in the subject of medical services, especially in Baja. In our experience, we have received excellent treatment from doctors south of the border for a variety of things.

But, for the last two years, hubby has been undergoing several courses t at the VA in San Diego for prostate, basal cell skin cancer and reconstructive wrist surgery.

Setting appointments for exams. treatments and surgery and getting to the VA takes time, but the level of care across the board has been excellent.

He received advanced, experimental treatments for his prostate (referred out to UCSD) and by all recent tests, he shows up as cancer free.

Today, he got skin grafts on his beak (nose) and ear after several months of cancer treatment and the expectation is for complete recovery. He told me that his entire head is wrapped in bandages and I joked that it was too bad that we missed Halloween - we would have scored big on candy.

The reconstructive surgery on his wrist is scheduled for next month. They have made such advances in orthopedics these last few years, a sad legacy from current events, but at least the doctors have alternatives to fusing his wrist bones now.

His service dog has been with him every step of the way, including in the X-ray room - they just put draped a lead apron over the pooch.

This, fellow Nomads, is your tax dollars at work.

[Edited on 11-7-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 03:25 PM

Just curious, what service does the dog provide?

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 03:37 PM
The Service Dog is a Great Dane

And hubby is 6'5" with an inner ear disturbance, so he has trouble with his balance.

The dog is strong and stable enough to act as a walker and has hauled my husband to his feet (teeth in underwear) when he has fallen down. (Insert "ultimate wedgie" joke here.)

[Edited on 11-6-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 04:29 PM

What a story! Whew is right.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 05:03 PM

Trying to get appointments at the Long Beach Va Has been a real pain for me. Have to return early Dec for a biopsy. They have already done 4 endoscopes hopefully this is the last. I've spent way to much time NOB this year.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 05:48 PM
Russ, Hubby Agrees With You

This former someone something in the U.S. military doesn't use foo-foo words like homesick, but the longing to come home came across in our conversations today.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Trying to get appointments at the Long Beach Va Has been a real pain for me. Have to return early Dec for a biopsy. They have already done 4 endoscopes hopefully this is the last. I've spent way to much time NOB this year.

Just walk into urgent care and tell them you are so frustrated and worried about your condition that you're considering suicide.

Believe me..... that gets their attention. :light: Yes...it does.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 06:04 PM

I spent 7 weeks this summer playing their game. The morning I got back the doc some how got me on my US cell and said she wanted another MRI. After the MRI I called and called trying to get an appointment to review the MRI and finally came home. A week later they called my sister saying they can now do the biopsy. Of course it isn't the same doctor because the first one "rotated out". Of course without the VA I wouldn't be able to afford any health insurance. So, although I'm really frustrated I'm very fortunate to have health care.
I don't care if "home sick" is a "foo-foo" word I'm home sick before I leave now. Just don't know how long they'll keep me now.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 06:45 PM

Hang in there Russ. Bless you brother.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.