BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: First post , long time lurker !
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 07:54 PM
First post , long time lurker !

Hello all !

Been lurking here for many years , figured it was time to sign on . My Wife and I have been going to the East Cape since 2005 by air . We are driving down in a few weeks for the first time , with stops in the Abreojos/Campo Rene area , headed to La Ribera for a couple of months . I will post updates to the trip thru December and a full report when we return to the States in January .

Also wanted to say THANK YOU to all here for the 'interesting' threads I've read , and all the helpful tips I've picked up over the years here -

David
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 08:11 PM

Welcome to the board......

I hear the whales song
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 08:20 PM

Nice to see you here, David. You folks have a great Baja trip, and keep us posted.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 09:01 PM
David, Hola & Bienvenido

Have great trip and I don't hear too often of La Ribera as a go to spot?? You didn't spend any pesos on a slip/house in the marina I hope !!..." Keep the greasy side down,,,And the shiny side up !!!:cool:...PS.... La Ribera means "waterside" riverside" and so forth..One of the many drainages on the eastern side of the serria de la lugunas...but it used to have a lot of water...not..so,Today !!

[Edited on 11-10-2013 by captkw]

[Edited on 11-10-2013 by captkw]
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 09:42 PM

Thanks , all !

captkw - When we first went to Baja , we stayed at Hotel Punta Colorada . We make Friends with most of the staff and loved beach fishing the area (we're at 42? species of Fish off the sand now) . La Ribera is just the right speed - not many tourists in Winter , good beach fishing , really nice locals , and has pretty much everything we could need or want .... so we rent houses from Friends who live there . I've yet to see the real 'bush' Baja , but with our coming trip I hope to see more of the places I've read about over the past 30 or so years . I can only imagine what the 'old' days were like !

It IS a shame that the Estero has been replaced by a Marina .... just my opinion:( .

D.~
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 10:10 PM

DJL,

Welcome aboard and hope to hear more from you!
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJL
Thanks , all !

captkw - When we first went to Baja , we stayed at Hotel Punta Colorada . We make Friends with most of the staff and loved beach fishing the area (we're at 42? species of Fish off the sand now) . La Ribera is just the right speed - not many tourists in Winter , good beach fishing , really nice locals , and has pretty much everything we could need or want .... so we rent houses from Friends who live there . I've yet to see the real 'bush' Baja , but with our coming trip I hope to see more of the places I've read about over the past 30 or so years . I can only imagine what the 'old' days were like !

It IS a shame that the Estero has been replaced by a Marina .... just my opinion:( .

D.~

Hey David,

We started at the Punta Colorada in Oct 2005 (celebrated our 25th anniv. that trip). We were with Cabo Fishing Tours and the two Jims. We loved it so much we went back in May 06 and Oct 06 and then bought a house and settled in Bahia De Los Angeles. But our Baja affair started at the Punta. Loved all of the people there and was sad to hear of the Hotel closing.

Best Wishes on your first drive tour, enjoy life!! And welsome to the board. Connie & Brett
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 07:06 AM

Welcome!

-the other DJL whose name is David
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 07:18 AM

Don't have the J & L but I'm a David too :lol: Welcome!!!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 09:04 AM

Welcome and way to go David for coming out of the shadows and starting to post! Always nice when folks introduce themselves in their first post...look forward to your contributions!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 09:16 AM

Welcome and while you are at campo rene, please come and introduce yourself to us in La Bocana!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 10:06 AM

Ateo , David and David (Jeeeeez .... surrounded by Davids' here ...) - Thanks !

Connie and Brett - Happy belated 33rd Anni ! We still visit Punta every year to play on the beach there , kind of sad to see it empty though ....

Shari - now that I'm 'out' here .... I'll probably pester you with fewer questions on Facebook ! Jejejeje ...

Blanca - We will drop in to say HOLA , and see if we can mooch your Kayaks for a few hours to explore the Lagoon (Pretty please ?) .

Thanks again , all !

D.~;)
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 10:42 AM

Welcome, have a great trip,k

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 11:04 AM

One more David saying HELLO and HOLA! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 11:12 AM

kayaks hmmmmm we don't have any! But the local ecotourism company DOES rent them out and I will get the price on that for you.

Our locals Scott and Kim have kayaks but I bet you have to stay with them to use them??? Not sure on that so here is their contact info:

http://www.vamanossportfishing.com

See you.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 11:32 AM

Lurking was fun but a stinging reparte to express yourself is better. I watched and read a few years before I couldn't resist! Welcome aboard. Tomas
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 11:42 AM

and I had heard about bajanomad for years from toneart before I fianally joined. Someone asked why it had taken me so long and I answered:I was BUSY ....

and it was true!

Here are the prices for the BOCANA ADVENTURES kayaks:

HOLA BLANCA QUE TAL LOS KAYAK SON PO 100 PESOS LA HORA EL KAYAK DOBLE Y 50 PESOS EL SENCILLO O BIEN 400 PESOS EL DOBLE POR 5 HORAS Y 300 EL SENCILLO POR 5 HORAS

100 pesos an hour for a 2 person kayak and 50for a one person kayak

or

400 pesos for 5 hours on a 2 person
300 pesos for 5 hours on a single kayak

Come visit La Bocana

DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 01:24 PM

Keri , David K , and Tio - Thanks !

Blanca , thanks for doing the Legwork ! We will make sure to visit you when we're in the area (November 26-30) . Renting a 'Yak and fiddlin' w/ the Fishes should be amusing . I mentioned the Tandem to my Wife .... she said "Great , I'll be the motor:no: . Are the Biosphere bracelets available in the La Bocana/Abreojos area ?

Beside posting updates/full report here , we're doing a Facebook page with live updates/video/photos while on the road . I'll post a link when it's up -

D.~:D
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 02:06 PM

Sitting in San Jose del cabo trying to figure out why you aren't flying?

Or maybe you are going to fly down without wings?

Either way, have fun
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Sitting in San Jose del cabo trying to figure out why you aren't flying?

Or maybe you are going to fly down without wings?

Either way, have fun

Two reasons for our driving. Number one is that airfares have risen dramatically over the past decade. We used to be able to fly, especially on Aerocalifornia for just about $200. Recently, for what is in season rates, I've seen fares over $600.

Second reason is that there are so many people to meet, hotels to enjoy, restaurants to enjoy that thr addition time is more than made up for by the experience.

That said, I was wondering with respect to the earlier post by DJL, about the estero being replaced by a marina, if he was referring to the new San Jose marina that totally screwed one of my favorite places.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.