Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Marine biologists and mangrove research
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 03:13 PM
Marine biologists and mangrove research

We recently had a group from the Smithsonian stay with us. They are studying mangroves around the world. One of the angles of their studies is to show that mangroves are moving. And they are moving north.

This was their first night with Joaquin. They had his famous salad, fish and lobster. The smiles tell it all!

And this was them enjoying drinks at Las Cabaņas afterwards

And this is them working hard at categorizing plants, leaves and water to test once back home.

Agua from various locations

Plants

[URL=http://s848.photobucket.com/user/BajaBlanca/media/Marine%20biologists%20Nov%202013/image-2.jpg.html][

And these last two are the leaves

This was my first time seeing marine biologists at work and it was very interesting

[Edited on 11-13-2013 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 11-13-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 04:16 PM

Eggheads! We don't need no steenkin biologists! We've been living here for years. Next thing you know they'll be tellin us what to do with our land. We know more about our waters than they ever will. Get them outta here. I'm warnin you - this is just the start. Their poison will infiltrate the minds of our kids. Probably atheists and commies, the lot of them. From the Smithsonian - that says it all. Bah.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Eggheads! We don't need no steenkin biologists! We've been living here for years. Next thing you know they'll be tellin us what to do with our land. We know more about our waters than they ever will. Get them outta here. I'm warnin you - this is just the start. Their poison will infiltrate the minds of our kids. Probably atheists and commies, the lot of them. From the Smithsonian - that says it all. Bah.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Yes, DOWN with science! Besides, man cannot have anything to do with what happens to the mangroves.

Blanca, some of the most fun we had was when Chris from Berkeley stayed with us in BA and brought along other researchers. It was always interesting times.

One of the things we regretted about selling the house was it had been his to use whenever he wanted.

HAVE fun.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 05:00 PM

Isn't that the best! Years ago at San Nicolas we were lucky enough to be there when two groups of Geologists arrived there from both north and south to meet and discuss what they'd seen in the previous week!
That was about the best night around a campfire that I've EVER experienced. What I could understand of it was just amazing, plus we could ask questions about the ground we were standing on.

I know I'm getting old when I identify their kids in your pictures, but where are the biologists!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 05:27 PM

That means Snook in California in 37,000 years ?

YAAAAYYYYYY !!!!!!

D.~
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 08:22 PM
same old stuff

early this year I watched a you tube "doc" from some ya hoo's ImO that got grants to go out of san Bruno and document what they thought about humbolt squids...first time here (Baja) and I died watching it...you could see it in the panga owners face many times...stupid gringos...whats wrong with these fools..never did they ask him or anyone else about the squids...myself have no time for "marine biogist" ask the local fish/dive folks....for god sakes !! I love the fact that today SO MANY KIDS ARE TAKING COURSES on marine bio ...But if you think for a sec,, you can argue with the folks that spend their life on the water...it cost me big bucks to travel,boat fish,dive,snorkel...and yet some kids get paid to say...come down to baja and say with a straight face "I'm a marine biologist" No,, you are some one that has not spend time in/out on the water and have no clue.......nothing to fight about this simple fact !!!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 11:56 PM

On the contrary, Captn. Those young people will contribute something new whereas your tired old posts are always the same.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 06:56 PM
Thank you Igor

But,,I thought you was a guy....But, your b-tchen like a old women !! I give you permeso to skip my post's......LOL>>>>LOL:lol: just a day ago you gave "GOTOBAJA" a rash of crap....He stood up with photos and and proof of helping the oceans and sea....Do I need to do the same for you ?? I think not !! my life is helping !! If I were to argue with you...that would make two fools....Have a great day and enjoy Baja and its great folks....K&T:cool:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2013 at 12:50 AM

You misunderstood, Captn.

Gonetobaja's spearing of large female groupers was and remains wrong. But he practices so much good conservation in other areas that it outweighs the bad. That's how I see it and that was pretty much his argument.

His pictures had nothing to do with the benefits of spearing big females.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-15-2013 at 03:39 AM

Groupers actually change from female to male as they grow larger.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2013 at 07:45 AM

Really? Do they really change gender ?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

smile.gif posted on 11-15-2013 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Really? Do they really change gender ?

Yep!:)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.