[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 10:17 AM
ISON !!

Today is the Day !!:?:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 11:20 AM
Ya Gotta be Kidding !!~

Am I the only one here that's watching the biggest space thing of my lifetime....around 1:00 EST time is the magic number !!!
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 11:21 AM

Chances are quite high that it may totally disintegrate due to its super close pass to the sun. Its due to be at perihelion around 11 PST. Tomorrow the NASA data will tell us if it survived.

http://cometison.gsfc.nasa.gov/index/kiosk/dataset/one_0171

If it does survive then we may be a good show of it just after sunset probably starting around the 1st of Dec.

fingers crossed...

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 11:37 AM
Its Today

11/28/13 says the nasa website I just left...1:44 EST...Cool !! I just hope nasa and the cameras don't get overloaded like Other Gov sights !!!..But IT IS TODAY !!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 11:37 AM

I've been a fan and have been waiting for NASA to tell me to look up!

Hope it survives. Really, really hope it survives.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 11:44 AM
Other web sites

Im stupid when comes to uploading a link !! But If you bounce around the web your find some really CooL live time stuff !! they also sent a few sat's just for this !!! Hope she makes it back around and sling shots past us without any problems here on this spinnin rock !!
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 11:45 AM

the NASA link I gave seems to be overloaded with requests so try this one:

(I made a shorter link with tinyurl cause it was stupid long!!

http://tinyurl.com/l3lv323

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 11:50 AM

Hope it doesn't survive all the way to my back yard.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 11:51 AM

Heres the best image taken of ISON so far by amateur Damian Peach from last week:

http://www.damianpeach.com/deepsky/c2012_s1_2013_11_15dp.jpg

Douglas Adams

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 12:19 PM
David E

If This baby comes back to your yard (possible) all of Baja will be gone !! this isn't a lttle rock size comet !!!! the smallest estimate I saw is 3 miles wide and some put it a hell of a lot bigger...Yikes !!makes me kinda think of wiley the coyote !!LOL just ckd the san fran cron and nothing on it..so I think they are trying to keep on the quiet side ...when I was a kid I saw all kinds of BIG holes in the ground in mexico and was amazing as a kid..and don't forget what happened in Serbia...Knarly!!
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 12:38 PM

Cap: it is not even remotely possible that remnants of ISON will hit Earth. Its actually solid core (not the coma which is the bright portion we see) is only 2km across (not miles) --compared to Hale Bop which had a core of 30km diameter!!

BTW latest data seems to indicate that its disintegrated.... but it was traveling,
360km/second, thats 1500 X's faster than a jet and faster than any man made probe ever made!!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/11/21/comet_is...

Douglas Adams

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 01:03 PM

I think it would be best to re-name ISON comet Icarus!!

Douglas Adams

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 01:05 PM
Actual IMage Of Ison Before It Got To The Sun

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 02:53 PM

1. Timing: ISON will be brightest in the hour before the sun comes up. You can calculate sunrise time for your area here.

2. Clear skies: ISON will not be visible if there is too much cloud cover. Clear Sky Chart is a 48-hour astronomer’s forecast that can predict whether the sky will be clear and dark at a certain location.

3. Dark skies: City lights can obstruct viewing of ISON, and it will appear brightest in the sky away from city lights. Dark Sky Finder shows light pollution in and around North American cities.

4. Where to look: Look east toward where the sun will rise. Comet Watch is a free app that points users in the direction of ISON, updated by the minute. “The easiest way to find it is to look for Mars, and then draw a line down to the east — right where you think the sun is going to rise,” said NASA’s Comet ISON Observing Campaign (CIOC) coordinator Carey Lisse to the LA Times.

SEE RELATED: Comet ISON: Will it be “the Comet of the Century?”

5. Perihelion: Comet ISON 2013 has a live countdown to perihelion, set to happen on November 28 at 18:37:45 (1:37 pm EST).

According to Universetoday.com, on the morning of November 28, ISON will be about 2.5 degrees from the edge of the sun, which will decrease to .5 degrees by perihelion around midday in the U.S. ISON will be difficult to see at perihelion because it will be very close to the sun and viewers risk eye damage.

6. Risk of eye damage from the sun on perihelion: U.S. observers risk eye damage if they stare into the sun at midday on Thanksgiving to catch a glimpse at ISON. Instead there are several websites that will broadcast the event live.

7. Latest news and data on ISON: CIOC has regularly updated data and news on ISON their website. Comet ISON 2013 also has a live feed of ISON’s speed, distance from the sun, distance from the Earth, and estimated magnitude.

8. No time like the present: As several observers have stated, while ISON may be currently visible during the hour before dawn, its core could break up at any time, so if you want to see it, do it now.

9. Patience: It takes your eyes about 20 minutes to adapt to the darkness, so give yourself plenty of time before dawn to get outside and get comfortable. If you don’t see ISON where you should, give it a few minutes, look at other parts of the sky and try again.

10. Luck: Several news outlets have speculated that ISON may be breaking up and won’t survive its trip around the sun, as observers Tuesday reported ISON is getting less bright. However, other observers, including some at NASA’s STEREO spacecraft state that there is evidence that ISON’s core is still intact.

Read more: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/world-ou...
Follow us: @wtcommunities on Twitter

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 04:47 PM

DavidE: number 10) LUCK: we're out of it, ISON is now ISOFF it has disintegrated....

[Edited on 11-29-2013 by astrobaja]

Douglas Adams

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 05:37 PM

Bummer.
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 06:06 PM

well now 6 hours after perihelion, something has emerged from the other side of the sun, maybe some piece of it has survived after all, only time will tell.

Comets have a way of confounding even the best of "experts" After all we are only semi evolved simians!!

Douglas Adams

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
DavidE: number 10) LUCK: we're out of it, ISON is now ISOFF it has disintegrated....

[Edited on 11-29-2013 by astrobaja]

I so want to see a good comet this month that I am adopting the climate-change-deniers approach to life: always assume nasa or any govt employee, especially the scientist, is lying. Commie scientists say the comet dissolved? I say it exists, and exists even bigger!
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-28-2013 at 06:34 PM

Ahhh goat, the devil makes you say this.:saint::saint:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 11-29-2013 at 10:23 AM

NASA thinks it may have made it...:D Time lapse video:

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/comet-ison-may-have-survived/#.UpjK9dOIYuo

this has happened before but the comet broke up 3 day later. Let's hope that's not the case this time.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.