BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Letter to the Editor says 'ex-pats' should set an example by stopping at stop signs
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:11 PM
Letter to the Editor says 'ex-pats' should set an example by stopping at stop signs

Page 16 of last week's Baja Citizen
http://www.bajacitizen.com/Editions/November202013115.pdf

"Could you please let your readers know that a stop sign is a stop sign and it means STOP? It doesn’t matter what others do. Where I come from, we stop and most ex-pats know better. I have seen way to many car accidents because drivers don’t stop. We need to be the example and stop.
Thank-you for your time.
Susan H."
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:14 PM

Apart from being "the right thing to do", it just might save a life.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:15 PM

Have you been to La Paz? I stopped at each stop sign, and locals cruise right by and seem to think I just arrived from another planet! LOL :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:17 PM

Make a complete stop at a stop sign to set an example and get rear ended by the guy behind you. Sure thing.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
We need to be the example and stop.
Thank-you for your time.
Susan H."

Susan H. is a totally offensive idiot.
What Mexicans repel from most, is the great, self-righteous, northern neighbor telling them how to act.

Read some history books, Susan.....you total mo-ron.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:21 PM
Setting an Example

For the LOCALS ?

Yeah, Right.

I've lost count of the number of times I've come close to being rear-ended by a local when I've stopped at a stop sign with no cross-traffic.

The ultimate, of course, being when they roar past making gestures and mouthing BAD words.

They "apparently" missed the lesson.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena
Apart from being "the right thing to do", it just might save a life.
It might also get you rear-ended.:lol:

"The future ain't what it used to be"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:44 PM

In Mexico, a stop sign is just a suggestion. I've actually had people blaring their horns because I didn't proceed through a red light when there was no opposing traffic.:?:

"The future ain't what it used to be"
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:51 PM

So, what do you guys in Bahia Asuncion do at the stop sign in front of the Police Department, and what do the locals most often do?

Just curious.:lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:58 PM
Don't THEY say ?

"When in Rome, do as the Dagos do ?"

AND in Baja ?

I'm always reading and hearing that, as foreigners, we should respect and follow local custom to avoid insult and embarrassment.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 06:37 PM

Stop signs? Red lights are suspect to interpretation.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 07:07 PM

well, the stop sign in front of the police department...I pretty much almost stop at that one...my tires may stop rolling for a second sometimes but mainly I come to a near stop, look both ways and continue on through...learning from the locals who set the example for me.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
well, the stop sign in front of the police department...I pretty much almost stop at that one...my tires may stop rolling for a second sometimes but mainly I come to a near stop, look both ways and continue on through...learning from the locals who set the example for me.

my son got a ticket (request for mordida) for rolling through that sign on his quad.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
Page 16 of last week's Baja Citizen
http://www.bajacitizen.com/Editions/November202013115.pdf

"Could you please let your readers know that a stop sign is a stop sign and it means STOP? It doesn’t matter what others do. Where I come from, we stop and most ex-pats know better. I have seen way to many car accidents because drivers don’t stop. We need to be the example and stop.
Thank-you for your time.
Susan H."

Welcome to the group apple. As you can see we are an expressive group!!

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by bacquito]

bacquito
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 09:25 PM

Here is my rejoinder to Susan H. as printed in the Dec. 9th edition of the Baja Citizen. Note that I had to bite my tongue and temper my usual sarcastic demeanor to get this printed.
Susan H.
I am afraid you have failed to consider the traffic patterns in La Paz through the eyes of the people that live here. We have been driving in La Paz since the early 90's and have observed the "system" of treating a stop sign more like a yield sign actually works quite well. It does take a bit of rethinking but once you get the hang of it you will be amazed at how well it works. It's a no brainer to slow down and look to see if anyone is going to arrive at the crosswalk before you. If not, just proceed without stopping. I know it's not the way we do it up north but look around, we're not "up north". Increased accidents??? The statistics say no, for the most part people respect the "system". You will encounter the aggressive driver that pushes on though he may not really have arrived first, no problem, just defer and smile. There is a side benefit here too. Many thousands of gallons of gasoline are saved and large amounts of pollution are avoided by this system. This is not a joke and a relaxation of the strict "full stop behind the sign" rule could and should be adopted up north saving millions of gallons of fuel and pollution. But at $300 per infraction in LA (I looked it up) it ain't gonna happen. Some other things you should know about La Paz: 1) Always come to a full stop on Revolucion at the corner of Degollado. This particular corner is a known $$$$ trap for unsuspecting miscreants. (look for the cop hiding behind the Telcel trailer) 2) Be on high alert at night and on Sundays when the drunks are out. They can be very aggressive and/or distracted. Read dangerous. 3) Be very careful that the cross traffic has a stop sign. This is one place I have seen a number of accidents. (some study required) I recommend you integrate with caution but adapt rather than criticize. You really are mucking up the system as well as aggravating people when you come to a full stop. The Mexican people are very practical. Their lives are based on something we could use a whole bunch more of in the US and Canada - common sense! Saludos, Bobby Ray
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Originally posted by shari

my son got a ticket (request for mordida) for rolling through that sign on his quad.

I'll bet he stops next time. Every so often, they will check for seat belts, too.:light:

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 11:01 PM

In La Paz I stopped for all the stop signs and also for pedestrians, I figure you have to show how a civilized citizen acts, they will learn, remember when there was all the trash along the highways?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 07:52 AM

Bola has hit the big time, our main road through town is now complete and there is a new wall to represent a malecon. Along with all that we now have 7 stop signs going north and 7 going south. There is even a stop sign for a driveway. The locals here many times don't even slow down. I usually stop unless there is a local behind me then I only slow a little cause I know he will rear end me if I stop. There is so little traffic in this town that I don' blame the locals for running the stop signs. They are a lot of overkill.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
Bola has hit the big time, our main road through town is now complete and there is a new wall to represent a malecon. Along with all that we now have 7 stop signs going north and 7 going south. There is even a stop sign for a driveway. The locals here many times don't even slow down. I usually stop unless there is a local behind me then I only slow a little cause I know he will rear end me if I stop. There is so little traffic in this town that I don' blame the locals for running the stop signs. They are a lot of overkill.
Larry

7 stop signs each way in BOLA? That's ridiculous!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:05 AM

As an engineer I look at it from the standpoint of numbers, cost benifit... would love to see numbers on accident and deaths per mile driven with this system vs others..

From my observations this method does not appear to be any more dangerous. I just have never seen an accident at a 4 way stop sign intersection in LaPaz or in the USA. But that is anecdotal, so we need the numbers from a real study. then we can calculate the net benifit is reduced wear and tear on brakes and human efficiency in point a to point b and gas savings less pollution.

I saw a presentation on the web by ted forum on this subject.

found it
http://www.ted.com/talks/gary_lauder_s_new_traffic_sign_take...

his calculation is a stop sign each direction costs a society 2 million a year in the usa.

He did not take into account the wear and tear on the car.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by laventana]

Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.