BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Health Emergency "Stabilize Then Head For The USA"
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 10:22 AM
Health Emergency "Stabilize Then Head For The USA"

I have been recommending this for years and now I have to swallow my own medicine. My old USA internal medicine MD in the USA told me yesterday...

"I cannot give you medical advice, but from your description of the symptoms, you likely have a life-threatening medical emergency. Get to a hospital ASAP".

I check with the MD's at the local clinica. They agree 100%. I told them of my plan to spend 14 hours on the bus then cross the border then go directly to Scripps. The MD's said "OK but do not delay"

So I am on the bus later today. Probable impending kidney failure.

No need to panic no need to have Air Evac which probably would only save several hours. Heart problems of course are another matter.

Stabilize then flee. Hope I get to check out of the hospital without being covered by a sheet :)

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 10:33 AM

Get well and get back soon . . .

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 10:47 AM

I thought by the title of the thread you were giving advice to others...oh my...have a safe journey and enjoy the care in the good ole USofA...I hope they can fix what ails you so you can return to your beloved country.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 11:02 AM

Keep us posted, okay? And post if you need anything.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 11:10 AM

This reminds me of Roger's harrowing tale of bailing out of Mulege and barely making it to San Diego in his motorhome.

Good luck David! I hope that in retrospect you don't regret not flying north.

Earlier this winter we were traveling with old friends, and one had a major heart attack. It took over 22 hours to get him out of country and into a Miami hospital where he had several stents installed.

It turns out that a better alternative to the local clinic/hospital and then an air evac (which the insurance company took over 12 hours to approve) might have been to get on the first plane heading stateside and get yourself to a hospital.

Airlines won't let you fly if you are in the midst of a diagnosed medical emergency. In the case of our friend, he would have had to wait 6-weeks to fly out commercial unless he could get a doctor to sign off.

Again, David, good luck getting north and then finding a solution to your problem.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 11:11 AM

Let us know when you get to the US and where you are and if you want visitors. I was going to ask how you were doing but I figured I wouldn't bring it up hoping you would feel better!! Have a good trip and don't take the scenic highway from Ensenada to Tijuana!!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Keep us posted, okay? And post if you need anything.

Nice offer, dasbergeek
Get better DE
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 11:22 AM

SAFE journey, David. I am glad you are headed north for what sounds like some well needed health care!

I do hope you are better SOON.

Diane
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 11:38 AM

Grobble grobble grumble. snort...

Maybe if I don't feel better by the time I get to Ensenada, I WILL take Mex 1-D, north at 90 mph.

Fever came back with a vengeance. Doctors think I may be getting septicemia. This will be an interesting ride if nothing else.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 11:42 AM

You might want to stop and see a Farmacia Similares doctor and get the strongest antibiotic IV to prevent the septicemia until you arrive to the US>
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 12:00 PM

How long before you are on the bus? Are you taking the little bus to Vizcaino? Sure wish you were on your way!

I know the clinic in BA is very limited, but maybe they could fill you full of antibiotics??

[Edited on 12-30-2013 by DianaT]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 12:08 PM
Did You Call

Did you call Sharp??

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 12:13 PM

Hey guys...
Through U2U David and I have had some communication. He has my phone number and will call me either from the ABC bus terminal or on this side of the border. I live in IB and can get him to the Scripps Hospital on H street no problem. It sounds though as if I should get to the ABC bus terminal and bring him across myself. I expect with a 14 hour ride to TJ (what about the road damage?) he won't arrive until sometime in the early morning hours.
If he is not here until rush hour (4am) is it best for him to ride the bus and do the quick bus passenger line over...or for me to get him and maybe end up hours in line?
Also upon crossing at possibly 2am or so...does anyone know a good directions to the ABC bus station...I have no idea where it is.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 12:20 PM

If it is covered, why doesn't David just ask for an ambulance to meet him at the border and take a taxi to the border from the bus station in Tijuana?
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Hey guys...
Through U2U David and I have had some communication. He has my phone number and will call me either from the ABC bus terminal or on this side of the border. I live in IB and can get him to the Scripps Hospital on H street no problem. It sounds though as if I should get to the ABC bus terminal and bring him across myself. I expect with a 14 hour ride to TJ (what about the road damage?) he won't arrive until sometime in the early morning hours.
If he is not here until rush hour (4am) is it best for him to ride the bus and do the quick bus passenger line over...or for me to get him and maybe end up hours in line?
Also upon crossing at possibly 2am or so...does anyone know a good directions to the ABC bus station...I have no idea where it is.

Latest reports are that the road damage is only adding 15-20 minutes to the trip.

Which ABC station? There are two: the border one and the central camionera. I don't know whether the border one serves south Baja; it may just be Ensenada.

The border bus station ("ABC Línea") is at Plaza Viva Tijuana. ( Google Maps link) From the gates, you will make a left onto José Ma. Larroque and then a right. It's just past the McDonalds... if you click the Earth link on that map I linked, you can see all the buses lined up.

If he's coming into the Central Camionera, that's further inland. (Google Maps link) It's easiest to get there from the Otay crossing, which will also be faster going back. Once you cross over, you'll head toward the airport (any of the first three "major" rights is fine, Bellas Artes, Alejandro Humboldt, or Blvd. Industrial) and then left onto Vía de la Juventud. Follow signs for C. CAMIONERA... there'll be a huge hill on your left. You'll have to pass the bus station, then loop around for a second onto the Vía Rápida and loop back onto Lázaro Cárdenas going the other way to peel off right into the station. It's very well marked.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 01:10 PM

Didn't I read somewhere here that if it is a medical emergency there is a way to cross the border with no wait? I may be incorrect, but I think it was Blanca who posted something about it.

If it needs to be in an ambulance, can Sharp International help with maybe arranging for an ambulance at the Tijuana Bus station? Or maybe paranewbi can arrange a quick crossing through the police?

It seems that time is very important for the condition he is describing.

[Edited on 12-30-2013 by DianaT]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 01:17 PM

That is what Sharp does:

http://www.sharp.com/international-services/index.cfm

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Didn't I read somewhere here that if it is a medical emergency there is a way to cross the border with no wait? I may be incorrect, but I think it was Blanca who posted something about it.

If it needs to be in an ambulance, can Sharp International help with maybe arranging for an ambulance at the Tijuana Bus station? It seems that time is very important.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 01:27 PM

When a bus traveler reaches the TJ terminals he/she can then buy a ticket to any destination NOB and get a "bump-to-the-head-of-the-line-thru-customs" crossing into the US on foot.

DavidE would have to be coming via Mexican ambulance to the border south-to-north in order to expedite crossing to a waiting US ambulance, I believe. He isn't doing that-- yet. I surely wish he were pumped up with antibiotics right now.

Good luck, DavidE. I hold thoughts for reserve of strength for the journey, safe and swift passage, prompt treatment and rest. May your feet find you back home to your chosen country that you so dearly love.

Godspeed, my brother.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 01:59 PM

Hang tough ... safe trip

Wiley

[Edited on 12-30-2013 by wessongroup]

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 02:19 PM

Thanks dasubergeek!

DavidE didn't say in his U2U I received which station he would be coming into but I'm printing out both directions you provided just to be prepared. I don't know anything about the Sharps conversation going on here but in his message to me and as above, he is headed to Scripps. My wife is a nurse at Scripps Mercy and I have been at both the Hillcrest one as well as the South Bay one for kidney stones...I don't know how he's functioning, I was in a fetal position most of the time with mine.
I guess I'm just going to wait for his call and then see how he wants to handle the cross border thing. Thank you all and I will keep checking the board to see if any of you have any better ideas.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.