Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Basurero Magico
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 08:46 AM
Basurero Magico

If you live near San Pedrito and woke up with burning eyes and a scratchy throat, don't worry it's just the dump burning. (again)

Happy New Years from the department of public works!

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 08:58 AM

Eau de Mexico:barf::barf::barf:
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 09:41 AM

Is it unusual for the smoke to linger over land instead of going out to sea? My wife and I will be spending a week in San Pedrito in less than 3 weeks and hadn't factored in the "ambiance". :(
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena
Is it unusual for the smoke to linger over land instead of going out to sea? My wife and I will be spending a week in San Pedrito in less than 3 weeks and hadn't factored in the "ambiance". :(
The prevailing winds here are offshore during the night, putting the dump directly upwind from San Pedrito. It usually clears out during the day when the wind shifts to the northwest, blowing the smoke over the town of Pescadero instead. Don't worry, it will be out by the time you are here, the longest that I have seen it burn is 2 weeks.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
The prevailing winds here are offshore during the night, putting the dump directly upwind from San Pedrito. It usually clears out during the day when the wind shifts to the northwest, blowing the smoke over the town of Pescadero instead. Don't worry, it will be out by the time you are here, the longest that I have seen it burn is 2 weeks.

@monoloco - thanks for the quick reply. It's good to know that it will be out by the 18th, which is when we arrive. On the other hand, we are seriously thinking of moving to the Todos Santos area and have looked in Pescadero and Las Tunas already to try to familiarize ourselves with the different areas. We really need to be mindful of the fact that we need to get used to the full range of the Baja experience - not just "going on vacation". :coolup:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@monoloco - thanks for the quick reply. It's good to know that it will be out by the 18th, which is when we arrive. On the other hand, we are seriously thinking of moving to the Todos Santos area and have looked in Pescadero and Las Tunas already to try to familiarize ourselves with the different areas. We really need to be mindful of the fact that we need to get used to the full range of the Baja experience - not just "going on vacation". :coolup:
Don't let my post about the dump deter you from Pescadero, it's still pretty darn nice here and we're working on getting them to stop. It's gone from a monthly occurrence to a bi-annual event, so it seems like we're making progress.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 04:47 PM

bi-annual? no wonder it takes 2 weeks to burn out!

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
bi-annual? no wonder it takes 2 weeks to burn out!
The 2 week burn occurred when then old dump was completely full, and was deliberately started. I'm not sure if they are always started on purpose, sometimes garbage heats up and spontaneously combusts. This most recent fire looks to have mostly burned itself out, I can only see a very small plume of smoke rising from it now.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Don't let my post about the dump deter you from Pescadero, it's still pretty darn nice here and we're working on getting them to stop. It's gone from a monthly occurrence to a bi-annual event, so it seems like we're making progress.

@monoloco - don't worry, we're not deterred. In fact, as much as we like upscale-but-laid-back Las Tunas, we love the more Bohemian vibe of Pescadero, which is why we're spending a week in San Pedrito and will likely spend a lot of our downtime in Pescadero and Cerritos Beach. :cool:
nobodylikesyouanyway

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 08:25 AM
Pescadero/Todos Santos Dump

Does anybody know if they have closed the dump to the people....????
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by nobodylikesyouanyway  
The dump's closed, now they just pile the garbage on the road into it and burn it on a daily basis.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by nobodylikesyouanyway  
The dump's closed, now they just pile the garbage on the road into it and burn it on a daily basis.

Progress! Viva Mexico! :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 06:58 PM

Laugh to keep from crying!? Don't know where all the trash is going now? Arroyos? Mountains? The Hotels and restaurants don't seem to care. :?::?:Se la Vie. Tio

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.