BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A "luxurious" expat's healthcare insurance for the New Year
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 11:09 AM
A "luxurious" expat's healthcare insurance for the New Year

We are 70 (he) and 65 (she) respectively and carry unlimited major medical coverage with AXA, a major international insurance company underwriting health insurance policies in Mexico and many other countries. We are insured by their Mexican subsidiary headquartered in Mexico City and our insurance agent works out of their Guadalajara office. We carry this insurance coverage to protect us from catastrophic illness that could ruin us financially even in Mexico where medical care costs a small fraction of what it costs in the United States. Together, our annual premium works out to about the equivalent of $500USD a month at today´s Dollar/Peso exchange rate - my wife´s costs much less than mine because of our differing ages. We try to minimize premium costs by carrying a $25,000 Peso deductible per event. We initially purchased this coverage when I was 61 and my wife was 56. We were able to purchase the coverage without medical examinations. Now that I am 70, I don´t know that it would be available to me if I tried to start today although I believe my wife could still commence coverage at age 65. Coverage includes temporary emergency medical care and evacuation flight expenses back to a top hospital of our choice anywhere in Mexico if we become ill and in need of emergency treatment in the United States or Guatemala with a limit of $50,000USD (yes, USD, not Pesos). In the event of the need for hospitalization, the policies guarantee private rooms in the best hospitals in Mexico (and many are the best I have ever seen in North America or Europe) and the top attending physicians and surgeons available locally of our choice wherever we are hospitalized in Mexico.

Now, that annual premium is not cheap at the equivalent of $500USD a month at today´s Dollar/Peso exchange rate but considering that, when we left the United States with COLA coverage in 2001, we were paying $1,100USD a month for HMO coverage at Kaiser Permanente in Northern California and we are now each 12 years older, that is comparatively a bargain for far superior coverage in a fully appointed private room versus some HMO dormitory with an assigned physician according to whomever is available.

We carry no Medicare "B" coverage since we do not live in nor ever visit the U.S. so that would be a waste of money. When deciding to forego Part "B" we figured that, with the 20% deductible we would have to pay under Part "B" in the U.S., the deductible alone might be as much or more than the whole medical bill might be at a top hospital with a top physician in Mexico. To say nothing of the fact that, when one is deathly ill and in need of immediate medical attention, one does not need to fly back to the U.S. and find a physician and hospital in the Yellow Pages.

We also do not participate in Mexico´s IMSS health or Seguro Popular coverage as many expats do. However, many speak highly of these programs but I would urge care in using these programs, espacially the latter one which is the equivalent of the community hospital system in the U.S. meant to serve those otherwise unable to afford private care or any care at all.

[Edited on 1-3-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 11:21 AM

Janeen, you don't provide the source for this information, nor what you edited.

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
We are 70 (he) and 65 (she) respectively and carry unlimited major medical coverage with AXA, a major international insurance company underwriting health insurance policies in Mexico and many other countries. We are insured by their Mexican subsidiary headquartered in Mexico City and our insurance agent works out of their Guadalajara office. We carry this insurance coverage to protect us from catastrophic illness that could ruin us financially even in Mexico where medical care costs a small fraction of what it costs in the United States. Together, our annual premium works out to about the equivalent of $500USD a month at today´s Dollar/Peso exchange rate - my wife´s costs much less than mine because of our differing ages. We try to minimize premium costs by carrying a $25,000 Peso deductible per event. We initially purchased this coverage when I was 61 and my wife was 56. We were able to purchase the coverage without medical examinations. Now that I am 70, I don´t know that it would be available to me if I tried to start today although I believe my wife could still commence coverage at age 65. Coverage includes temporary emergency medical care and evacuation flight expenses back to a top hospital of our choice anywhere in Mexico if we become ill and in need of emergency treatment in the United States or Guatemala with a limit of $50,000USD (yes, USD, not Pesos). In the event of the need for hospitalization, the policies guarantee private rooms in the best hospitals in Mexico (and many are the best I have ever seen in North America or Europe) and the top attending physicians and surgeons available locally of our choice wherever we are hospitalized in Mexico.

Now, that annual premium is not cheap at the equivalent of $500USD a month at today´s Dollar/Peso exchange rate but considering that, when we left the United States with COLA coverage in 2001, we were paying $1,100USD a month for HMO coverage at Kaiser Permanente in Northern California and we are now each 12 years older, that is comparatively a bargain for far superior coverage in a fully appointed private room versus some HMO dormitory with an assigned physician according to whomever is available.

We carry no Medicare "B" coverage since we do not live in nor ever visit the U.S. so that would be a waste of money. When deciding to forego Part "B" we figured that, with the 20% deductible we would have to pay under Part "B" in the U.S., the deductible alone might be as much or more than the whole medical bill might be at a top hospital with a top physician in Mexico. To say nothing of the fact that, when one is deathly ill and in need of immediate medical attention, one does not need to fly back to the U.S. and find a physician and hospital in the Yellow Pages.

We also do not participate in Mexico´s IMSS health or Seguro Popular coverage as many expats do. However, many speak highly of these programs but I would urge care in using these programs, espacially the latter one which is the equivalent of the community hospital system in the U.S. meant to serve those otherwise unable to afford private care or any care at all.

:?:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 03:57 PM

I knew someone was going to mention that. I deleted the source accidentally, I am trying to find it. I didn't edit any part of it, just the spelling of particularly. I will do some more research on this insurance, sounds like something I would consider. The coverage in Mexico is phenomenal!!
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Janeen, you don't provide the source for this information, nor what you edited.

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

:?:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 04:43 PM

I just spoke to Marco Carrillo an AXA agent in Ensenada on 9th and Ruiz. The scenario is this: you go to one of the private hospitals in Ensenada with chest pain. You will have to pay the total bill before you leave the private hospital or you can get a Mexican Health insurance policy. You have a deductible from 5-20 percent that you have to pay depending on your policy and then an "exit fee" which is about the same. I am going to visit with him in the next month and see what the options are and the different policies available. His phone number is 011-52-1-646-947-5586 from the US or 044-646-947-5586 in Mexico. That is a cell phone number. Will report back but it appears to be a very good option.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.