Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  14
Author: Subject: Close call today on Highway 1 with bicyclists
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 04:48 PM
Close call today on Highway 1 with bicyclists

Traveling early and East into the sun at about 50 mph, I could not recognize two bicyclists thought it might be cows. The road was downhill dipping into a vado, then sharply uphill. A car in the opposite direction coming down the hill. When I recognized it was 2 bicyclists riding close together, I focused on the oncoming car trying to determine it's speed and whether I should do a hard brake or swerve around the bicyclists.

There was room for me to cross into the opposite lane and no problem.

My buddy following me had a different experience. He said he was blinded by the sun, too close to me and on the phone and by the time he saw the bicyclists and swerved to miss them, it was the closest he had come to having a head on crash with the other vehicle.

He was upset about the experience. He had witnessed a group of motorcyclists South of Santo Tomas who were off the side of the road with the police and it appeared that a member of the bike group might be dead as a person was on the ground covered up.

I told him it was his call as to whether to have a head on or crash into bicyclists.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
He said he was blinded by the sun, too close to me and on the phone and by the time he saw the bicyclists and swerved to miss them,

He was upset about the experience.

the bicyclists are irrelevant, could have been a slow truck, burro, cow or child walking to school. the lesson to take from this story: dont drive too fast for the conditions (sun in the eyes), dont tailgate, and dont talk on phone while driving (it's as bad as driving drunk). sounds like your friend should use this as a moment to think about driving more carefully. just my 2 cents
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
He said he was blinded by the sun, too close to me and on the phone and by the time he saw the bicyclists and swerved to miss them,

the bicyclists are irrelevant, could have been a slow truck, burro, cow or child walking to school. the lesson to take from this story: dont drive too fast for the conditions (sun in the eyes), dont tailgate, and dont talk on phone while driving (it's as bad as driving drunk). sounds like your friend should use this as a moment to think about driving more carefully. just my 2 cents

In theory you are correct. In practice, expecting the unexpected is difficult. Long stretches without vehicles and monotony has a way of relaxing some folks.

Speed is relative then. Too slow is the same as too fast.

My friend definitely learned a lesson. At least I hope.

That is all.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Cars going very slow are still faster than a bicycle. If the bike is in the car's lane, then only by the car swerving into the opposite lane will he avoid hitting the bike (if he even sees it, say going around mountain curves comes upon it).

Until the sections of Hwy. 1 south of San Quintin are widened to include a bike lane wide shoulder (as they have been doing in sections), riding on Hwy. 1 in central Baja is dangerous and beyond the design of the road made in 1970-1973. Engineers in those years did not dream of anyone crazy enough to ride a bicycle in the desert for hundreds of miles, on a highway that barely fits trucks, RVs, and boat trailers!

DSCF0034 copy.jpg - 26kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 05:22 PM

the marooons should ride into oncoming traffic. that way they will see the havoc being created by their presence and have the option of bailing into the cactus instead of forcing a driver to decide which path to take. totally irresponsible. especially, the ones draggin a baby cart. i KNOW they are only using them for storage and not kids, right?

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 05:25 PM

To me, it is just another example of an "extreme sport", only in Baja on THAT road practicing this "sport" without regard for others deeply involves innocent people who are NOT involved in that "extreme sport"-------incredibly rude, dangerous, and selfish behavior by the bycyclists, in my view. How they justify it is beyond my understanding. It compares with Drunk Driving-----presumably 'thinking' people with no regard for themselves and their fellow man coupled with rank stupidity----the essence of selfish arrogance.

I too have had several similar encounters that took years off my life, or at least it felt that way at the time.

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
riding on Hwy. 1 in central Baja is dangerous and beyond the design of the road made in 1970-1973. Engineers in those years did not dream of anyone crazy enough to ride a bicycle in the desert for hundreds of miles,

that's just a preposterous statement. i think you got no idea what engineers dream, now or in 1970. your hyperbole went a bit over the top with that doozy :lol::lol:

p.s. long-distance bicycling was a pasttime and sport before cars were around.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Yep, you got that right goat. Last time I was in Cabo and heading north towaeds Todo Santos I came upon an old station wagon down in a deep vado with the whole rear end out from under it. Fortunately I was able to slow go around it since there was no one heading south.
There was no one in the wagon and I parked on the other side of the vado to stack up some rocks as a warning to south bound vehicles. As a tractor trailer was headed towards me I tried to signal him to slow down but he hit the wagon and parts of both vehicles went flying all over the road. I guess the truck driver used his phone to call the police because they were there in about 10 minutes after the crash.

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
riding on Hwy. 1 in central Baja is dangerous and beyond the design of the road made in 1970-1973. Engineers in those years did not dream of anyone crazy enough to ride a bicycle in the desert for hundreds of miles,

that's just a preposterous statement. i think you got no idea what engineers dream, now or in 1970. your hyperbole went a bit over the top with that doozy :lol::lol:

p.s. long-distance bicycling was a pasttime and sport before cars were around.

The highway was not designed for a "pasttime" (?) or sport!

It was designed for ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

You may not have been old enough to remember these...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 05:46 PM

I bicycle Coast Hwy here in so. Orange Co., Ca., I talk
to loaded bicyclist headed SOB, as often as not they
are European Travellers who look a
map of Baja and see a Hwy down the Peninsula, not
knowing what little forgivness it provides
Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 05:57 PM

There are minimum speed limits in the US - Why? Because slow moving vehicles cause wrecks. Same with bicycles when using a road NOT designed for them. I have had several close calls with bicyclists here.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 06:03 PM

I've had the same exact conversation with bicyclists (yes, nearly always European but occasionally Asian) on the stretch of beach between the nuclear bewbs and the Las Pulgas gate to Pendleton. "Oh, we're going to bicycle to Ensenada."

"Fantastic. But you need to buy mirrors before you do that, because the road is narrow, high-trafficked, and dangerous."
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
To me, it is just another example of an "extreme sport", only in Baja on THAT road practicing this "sport" without regard for others deeply involves innocent people who are NOT involved in that "extreme sport"-------incredibly rude, dangerous, and selfish behavior by the bycyclists, in my view. How they justify it is beyond my understanding. It compares with Drunk Driving-----presumably 'thinking' people with no regard for themselves and their fellow man coupled with rank stupidity----the essence of selfish arrogance.

I too have had several similar encounters that took years off my life, or at least it felt that way at the time.

Barry

This is absurd. These people are just travelers using the highways like the rest of us. If you can't abide by the rules of the road by slowing down momentarily until it is safe to pass, then it is you who that is the menace. Your time is not THAT valuable that you can't respect the safety of another human life. Cyclists have just as much right to use the road as the rest of us.

and if you can't see what is ahead of you because you are blinded by the sun, SLOW THE flock DOWN
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

This is absurd. These people are just travelers using the highways like the rest of us. If you can't abide by the rules of the road by slowing down momentarily until it is safe to pass, then it is you who that is the menace. Your time is not THAT valuable that you can't respect the safety of another human life. Cyclists have just as much right to use the road as the rest of us.

and if you can't see what is ahead of you because you are blinded by the sun, SLOW THE flock DOWN

There is a reason that so many Freeways in the USA do NOT allow bicycles!!! As a cop for many years, I stick by what I said above. I have NEVER hit ANYTHING in Baja in over 50 years of travel down there, but the closest I have come has been several encounters with bicycles south of El Rosario and before Catavina. Being that startled and scared sorta ingrains it in one's memory, eh?? The cattle and horses are bad enough, but at least they sometimes try and get out of the way------not so with many bicyclists----in fact just the opposite.

Reads "death wish" to me, or just incredible stupidity.

Both my wife and myself are cyclists, but never on THAT road!

Barry
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 06:45 PM

I raced bicycles for 20+ years and have trained thousands of miles on public roads. I would NEVER consider biking Baja. BTW a saying we racers used to have "It's not if you are going to be hit; just a matter of when." And we rode on fairly safe roads here in Marin County, Ca.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 06:53 PM
missing the point

What I keep reading here is fools say "just slow down" it isn't about speed !! its coming around a corner and the bikes are a hazard....I've been driving this road since 77 and in the old days a cow jumping out in a vado or coming around a curve uphill you would run in to a old truck with the back LOADED with workers,,cows and trying its best to go up the hill at maybe 3kph...thankfully those are over...I don't think bikes on the road are safe for anyone........"driving the hwy 1 is like flying a 727,,,hrs of boredom with moments of shear terror"........ what I hear mostly on these post is most folks that drive it would rather not see bikes !! ...simply safety issue...............

[Edited on 1-8-2014 by captkw]
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 07:23 PM

I believe if you are not skilled enough to pass a bicyclist on the Baja road you are not prepared for the many other hazards.

Would I ride a bicycle on that road? Probably not. Too many marooonic drivers on their cell phones blindly staring into the sun going full speed ahead.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 07:46 PM

A bicyclist should remove himself from the road if a three-way (car north, car south, and bicycle) are even close to a meeting. This is done by checking your rearview mirror periodically and knowing your surroundings. So many times I have met people on bikes while I'm pulling a wide boat, and they have no clue of the harm they are putting us in. I have had several trips with less than experienced motorcycle riders that I have directed off the asphalt to let big rigs pass when approaching oncoming traffic. its a courtesy thing.
SC2BAJA

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
I believe if you are not skilled enough to pass a bicyclist on the Baja road you are not prepared for the many other hazards.

Would I ride a bicycle on that road? Probably not. Too many marooonic drivers on their cell phones blindly staring into the sun going full speed ahead.

Best post so far! Driving the Mex 1 requires 100% attention and knowledge of the ins and outs. We have all had close calls, be it cows, horses, bicyclists, road workers filling pot holes with no flags or cones out, broke down big rigs, can collectors, ect. Keep your eyes peeled. There are hundreds of hazards that can ruin your day at any moment.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by honda tom
A bicyclist should remove himself from the road if a three-way (car north, car south, and bicycle) are even close to a meeting. This is done by checking your rearview mirror periodically and knowing your surroundings. So many times I have met people on bikes while I'm pulling a wide boat, and they have no clue of the harm they are putting us in.

The bike should not get off the road, the car behind should wait until safe to pass.

How are you harmed by slowing down until it is safe to pass?
 Pages:  1    3  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.