Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Not just Dennis
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 11:11 AM
Not just Dennis

Not Just Dennis

Get well Dennis!! That’s easy to say but it will be a long and painful rehab with that kind of damage and all we can do is hope there are no complications.

I don’t have insurance and I can’t afford the trip to the VA so if and when I get sick or hurt real bad I won’t be in a hospital somewhere where Nomads can send me “Get well” wishes like they did for Dennis and Pompano and others. So I guess the hospital thing is the trigger here.

Looks like I’ve been missing out on all the good wishing because all my health problems are here at home. At 77 I’m starting to get all kinds of bad things to contend with – I can still afford Dr. Ruffino most of the time but I don’t have the money or the patience for tests he says he needs. I buy him off with big juicy dorado steaks nicely protected in Vacu-Seal bags.

Also it depends on what you post that are health emergencies, chronic conditions or just old peoples’ b-tching.

I didn’t bother the board when I got a vicious case of the Wobblies that made me think I was stroking out. Then there were those nasty months of dealing with “Old People Dry Elbow” --- weeks on end watching TV with both elbows stuck in bearing grease.

For every kind of killing bug, Ruffino gives me antibiotics which kill all the good bacteria in my gut and intestines while robbing me of the joy of eating grapefruit and dairy products. They invariably kill all the good bugs in my mouth leaving me with a Thrush tongue (like wearing a grayish brown sock on the tongue) --- that stuff makes the tongue unprotected and makes me cry with every gulp of Oso Negro gin I struggle to enjoy.

My enlarged spleen is bigger than a two year old Yorky – it accretes blood platelets and causes my body to reject all iron. One year Ruffino gave me 14 raw iron shots in my butt which never reached my bloodstream --- 3 years later Lynda walked into the bathroom as I was getting out of the shower and said “I know where the iron is”. Up till now I have kept that a secret lest some would begin to jest about it somehow.

Medicine for me is no problem. The doc gives me these instructions and I follow them to the letter. Some times I have busy schedules so when he says take this 3 times a day, I just set it up in the morning, take one at 9, one at 10, one at 11. All done. Simple as that. You don’t need those little plastic pill keeper things with the days/dates on em.

Anyway I just thought I would plant the seed “Could your sympathies be somehow misdirected? I’m just sayin’.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 11:19 AM

Sorry Osprey it's only because Dennis is high profile and riles things up on the board. But I am sorry you are suffering. Where exactly are you living? If you have a life threatening emergency you can get treated in the US under the EMTALA law. I don't think Dennis is asking for attention, in fact he shuns it most of the time. I think he enjoys it however. You take care of yourself. And remember, as I do, no man is better than the other man. You are just as important as a Nomad as Dennis is and I am sure others wish you well. I know I do!! BTW, you might want to join Seguro Popular and get referred to a surgeon and get that nasty spleen out, sounds like it's time.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 12:11 PM

OSPREY you get your butt to the USA ASAP! Por Favor :)

Ensenada Dr. is absolutely right on the money. Go to the hospital social services dept and ask for help and assistance. The have counselors there with magic up their sleeve. You will get your tests and bagsful of medications.

Feed that freakin' spleen to the gulls!

Do it for your fellow Nomads amigo!

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 12:15 PM

Jorge mi amigo...... SALSIPUEDES. You owe it to yourself.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 12:17 PM

Osprey I hope you feel better. With age there seems to be a whole new set of medical problems to experience. Did I tell you my left shoulder quit hurting and now my right shoulder started hurting, the heat pad does help.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 12:42 PM

Jorge,
nothing wrong that an extra dose of Oso won't cure, believe me. Even your elbows if you soak them
Don't consume too many, just use a larger glass.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 01:17 PM

You ALL take care of yourself's ... well, if you want to :):)

Wiley

[Edited on 1-11-2014 by wessongroup]

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 01:21 PM

tough spot to be in

so I will wish you a full recovery, get well soon

I do understand about not having insurance

I went for over 10 years with out being able to get insurance here in the USA,,, I was repeatedly denied insurance as I as on a low dose of blood pressure meds
thank god for Medicare, when I reached 65
I had a lot of catching up to do,, guess you call it deferred maintence
I hopefully will get caught up some day
3 stints, laser on prostate that I suffered for years with
and various other problems, that has keep me close to home for a number of yrs now,,

you say that you cant afford to go to the VA, surely there must be options for you
I sat here for several years unable to get help

I am sure some help is available not only here on Nomads but also NOB
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 02:25 PM

Osprey
WOW
Just what we need...seriously!
THE ACHES AND PAINS FORUM

I have had this pain in my shoulder for over a month....blah, blah, blah.

Everyone stay well out there!

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 03:10 PM

Osprey - I'm new around here, but I hope you feel better soon. In a week's time I will be staying at a casita in San Pedrito with your name on it. :cool:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Osprey
WOW
Just what we need...seriously!
THE ACHES AND PAINS FORUM

I have had this pain in my shoulder for over a month....blah, blah, blah.

Everyone stay well out there!

Could call it "THE MOAN AND GROAN" forum.

I can fill a couple of pages.:saint::P:lol:

Air Evacuation go to
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 03:19 PM

We're all going to get there. New aches and pains, which one will it be that takes us out. At 77 I hope I can still get to the bano and be able to crap. That is if I get to 77. I know a whole lot that didn't make 55.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 03:24 PM
This is Such a Valuable Discussion

Last month, our friend of many years told us he was thinking of selling his house in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, and moving to Las Vegas, where his wife has family and he would be closer to medical assistance.

He was very distressed about the idea of leaving his beloved home, but he said his medical insurance was now costing about $4,000 a year and it keeps going up for him.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
OSPREY you get your butt to the USA ASAP! Por Favor :)

Ensenada Dr. is absolutely right on the money. Go to the hospital social services dept and ask for help and assistance. The have counselors there with magic up their sleeve. You will get your tests and bagsful of medications.

Feed that freakin' spleen to the gulls!

Do it for your fellow Nomads amigo!

Isn't free medical care great.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 03:56 PM

Yeah, especially when a person pays 330,000 dollars in taxes to get free care. Or maybe you don't remember the days of 92.4% income tax on incomes greater than 60K?

1981. Gross income 84,000 dollars, net income 16,000 after all deductions. Oh yeah it was all sure as hell free. The only thing that saved my butt was a corporate expense account. Today's "WHINERS" earn 100,000 and scream epithets when they have to pay 10,000 dollars. Doesn't matter if their elders paid TEN TIMES then what they do in tax now.

It's all the ME ME ME GIMME generation. GO FOR IT

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 04:38 PM

David

I was earning an income well before 1981 and never have seen an income tax rate of 92% in our country. ANd where did you ever get enough deductions to go from $84,000 to $16,000. Thats some creative accounting there.

Quote:
Yeah, especially when a person pays 330,000 dollars in taxes to get free care. Or maybe you don't remember the days of 92.4% income tax on incomes greater than 60K?

1981. Gross income 84,000 dollars, net income 16,000 after all deductions. Oh yeah it was all sure as hell free. The only thing that saved my butt was a corporate expense account. Today's "WHINERS" earn 100,000 and scream epithets when they have to pay 10,000 dollars. Doesn't matter if their elders paid TEN TIMES then what they do in tax now.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 04:40 PM

Quote:

Do you really think that it was your tax dollars that earned you free care?
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 05:02 PM

Osprey, I do hope this is another bit of fiction. If it is not, live your life your way.
We all get a answer to the big question one day.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 05:34 PM

Much of my medicine is OITs, Old Indian Tricks >> guaco vine for bites of all kinds and skin problems and rashes, plumeria sap to stop bleeding, moringa seeds for blood pressure, lomboy for skin cancer. It's all free, either from the desert, my neighbors or my garden.

I've carried around the big ugly spleen for many years so I'm used to it. I'm just careful not jump off roofs or ride dirt bikes fast because it's so heavy it could tear loose, bleed and I'm about 70 minutes from San Jose for help and about twice that to La Paz. I wouldn't know about the sepsis till I was close to bye bye so it wouldn't really be a bad way to go.

I've lived 77 years longer than a stillborn child >> that's my only and best point of view about the whole thing. Thanks for your concern. I wasn't lookin' for solace, just a few chuckles.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
I wasn't lookin' for solace, just a few chuckles.

How come I knew that.:?::biggrin::biggrin:

Air Evacuation go to
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.