Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Luck of the Irish
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 02:46 PM
Luck of the Irish

Do you believe in “Third Time’s a Charm?”

I may have just used up one of my nine lives. Yesterday I did some chores around the village in my rusty but trusty old Isuzu Trooper. About a block from my house on the soft dirt street my right front tire blew out. It didn’t make any noise, I was going slow and when I felt it mushed out I just slowed and pulled into my yard with the big tire whopping slowly around the rim. It no longer looked like a tire – more like a bale of thin wires had eaten a block of black rubber chunks.

I was (and am) amazed. That’s number three here in my yard (or close to it) since I’ve been down here over the last 20 years. That’s what I call The Luck of The Irish – any of those might have blown on the highway at high speed, at almost that speed on one of our local well graded ramals or at a lower speed way the hell and gone up the canyons where I go to get out of the summer heat.

The first one was on my 1975 Jeep which I brought down in 1994; it already had a zillion miles on the big tires as I remember counting over 300,000 miles on three of the jeeps that I mostly ran up in Arizona and S. Central Utah and on trips down here from Las Vegas. The second one was on my 1990 Ford F150 truck that let loose parked in front of my gate and yesterday was number three.

None of those tires were bald so don’t get on my butt about that. It does get hot down here but not nearly as hot as the Nevada desert.

Any other Lucky Irish out there who had steel belted radial tires go out in your garage while you were asleep?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 02:54 PM

Middle of Michoacan.

shimmy shimmy Shimmy Shimmy SHIMMY SHIMMY KA=FREAKIN=POW!

Rural area. Looked across the street. Llantera Astro 2000

"Uh señor I think you'd better come look at your other front tire."

Baseball size bubble.

Next llantera 22 miles straight ahead. No llanteras for 230 miles behind me.

They had my size. Twern't Cheap but I drove out. They even took VISA.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 04:53 PM

Not I, but a close friend. We had driven out and petted the whales at San Ignacio for a few days. All of us had campers, and trailers with toys. When we came back into town, my friend noticed his rt front was a little squishy. Pulled into the lantern on the highway across from the market just as the tire went flat. We shopped for fresh veggies etc and his tire was fixed. ----Irish------Kelley was his last name. :cool:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 08:58 PM
Luck of the Irish ............

Has (over time) been taken to mean other than what it originally was.

An Insult.

Meant to demean Irish-American accomplishments.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 11:56 AM

An insult is in the eye of the beholder. I know of some ethnicity that become murderously insulted if you are not their immediate family. That's their problem. A smiling fortunate individual or group is how I see "The Luck O The Irish" As they like to say in county Clerk, "If they don't like it it, fookem".

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 12:17 PM
From County Cork

Both of my Gran Bisabuelos came over this way from County Cork so I guess I can post this little joke.

irish.jpg - 44kB
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 12:34 PM
Irish Luck being an Irish Mutt

Being mostly of Irish heritage, As my Irish Grandmother used to say regarding my mixed-heritage:

"Always remember that whatever else you are, the BEST part of you is Irish."

Ironically, my male Paternal line traces backwards to 1635 when that antecedent left England for the colonies. His son being born in New England in 1636.

MORE of an irony may have been my first-generation CATHOLIC Irish-American Grandmother marrying a mixed English-Irish Mormon.

Which turned out to be a marriage made in Hell.

SHE hated him until the day she died.

I always thought that they were both pretty nice people, but Quien Sabe ?

I, of course, wasn't around when the Hate began.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 01:44 PM
"Irish Luck", a Pejorative?

I really don't know if I can contribute to this conversation in a constructive manner, but here it goes.

I am an Irish citizen by marriage and a Celtic person by heritage (a Gibson on my father's side).

I find that there is a doggedness and determination in the Celtic character to survive, provide and make things better.

To me, the phrase, "Irish Luck" always refers to the magical and, many would say, superstitional beliefs that pervade and underscore the the Catholic religion in Ireland.

Just take a look at the Book of Kells - it's online, they turn the pages daily and I find it instructional and inspiring.

Here is a link to Trinity College, Dublin where they turn the pages daily and post it on the internet:

http://www.tcd.ie/Library/bookofkells/

[Edited on 1-14-2014 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 02:31 PM
What It IS !

Has come to mean other than WHAT IT WAS !

Back in the days of the "Paddy Wagon" and other "Irish" references.

Which is WHAT I noted.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 05:49 PM
Luck

I have my own take on this

my great grand parents immigrated from Ireland/ Wales

the ones from Wales were coal miners, my mother was a coal miner daughter
my dad was a national Union rep,

they had nothing given to them ever,

luck was very hard work and dedication to better them self's

during this time,, I would put Italians and Jewish in the same boat,

none of my grand parents had any money or any body to fall back on or help,,

they made their own LUCK
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 06:44 PM

My friend in Loreto had the spare tire mounted to the boat trailer EXPLODE in the middle of the day in his garage. Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. Spare had never been used.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.