BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: What is the Easiest to Pass on the Road?
Passing a slow RV with vehicle in tow --- 9 (25.71%)
Passing a herd of cows, burros, horses etc --- 3 (8.57%)
Passing a disabled vehicle in your lane --- 2 (5.71%)
Passing a bicycle --- 21 (60%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What is the Easiest to Pass on the Road?
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 11:39 PM
What is the Easiest to Pass on the Road?

Of all the hazards, seriously, which of these common situations is the easiest to pass while driving in Baja?

Edit to clarify subject

[Edited on 1-28-2014 by bajadogs]
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 11:49 PM

Of course a bike is easiest to pass. So feel free to pack up and ride, just remember to ring your gingle gingle bell to warn the truck drivers.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Of course a bike is easiest to pass. So feel free to pack up and ride, just remember to ring your gingle gingle bell to warn the truck drivers.

Ha ha. gingle? What's that? I would use a Jingle bell only if the road was closed off from all motorized vehicles.

My point is not that we should all feel safe riding a bike down that road. It is that the danger is caused by reckless drivers who don't understand the real hazards.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Of all the hazards, seriously, which of these common situations is the easiest to pass while driving in Baja?

Edit to clarify subject

[Edited on 1-28-2014 by bajadogs]

You should poll bicyclist about who are the worst drivers...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 06:23 AM

i pass gas, easiest while on the road.....

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 07:24 AM

I like passing a herd of cows or horses the best. They are usually well off of the road in a safe place. :lol:

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

yer sound like a real 'has bean(s)' :spingrin: :spingrin: :spingrin:

[Edited on 1-28-2014 by micah202]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 08:42 AM

You never mentioned passing one of those trucks. I've never had the courage to do that. Perhaps, once in 35 years and hated the experience. Of course, I'm always pulling a boat.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
You never mentioned passing one of those trucks. I've never had the courage to do that. Perhaps, once in 35 years and hated the experience. Of course, I'm always pulling a boat.

I never remember having to pass a big truck----------they are always passing me. :lol:

For me the easiest to pass is an RV towing a boat--------they are just as nervous as I am, and therefore always behave themselves and are predictable. The worse are horses and cows----totally unpredictable, and you have to almost stop before passing them.

Barry
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 09:09 AM

Yep, animals are bad news. Sometimes I see deer here in norcal at night by the side of the road and I never know when they'll leap out at you.

Dogs in the baja road towns that run next to or cross the highway at will are a concern. Don't want one of those road kills on my conscience.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

The worse are horses and cows----totally unpredictable, and you have to almost stop before passing them.

Barry

We find horses to be far worse than cows! It seems that once the cows see you, and you proceed slowly, they will leave the road. On the other hand, horses are apt to jump right out in front of you --- very unpredictable, or just really stupid. :biggrin:

Then again, if sheep are crossing the road, you just have to stop because they go where the dogs tell them to go. And while I think coyotes are really very intelligent, we recently had one commit suicide in front of our car.

It seems that all animals, including the human species are just plain unpredictable, and few are to be trusted. :biggrin:
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 09:16 AM

A good rule of thumb when passing cattle or horses along the side of the road is that if their heads are down you are probably ok to drive on by with caution of course. Heads up? That is another story. They are prone to move. So be on the brakes.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 09:16 AM

The cyclists I've talked to say that the RV's passing them is way scarier than the big trucks, here and in the States.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

How about the cannibal that passed his friend in Baja?

Bob Durrell
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

The worse are horses and cows----totally unpredictable, and you have to almost stop before passing them.

Barry

We find horses to be far worse than cows! It seems that once the cows see you, and you proceed slowly, they will leave the road. On the other hand, horses are apt to jump right out in front of you --- very unpredictable, or just really stupid. :biggrin:

Then again, if sheep are crossing the road, you just have to stop because they go where the dogs tell them to go. And while I think coyotes are really very intelligent, we recently had one commit suicide in front of our car.

It seems that all animals, including the human species are just plain unpredictable, and few are to be trusted. :biggrin:

Horses are just very emotional, but not stupid----- :O :spingrin:

I trust all humans until individuals prove my trust is misplaced. People make mistakes---------'trust, but verify' is the best policy, I believe. But when your life is at stake, crank up the "verify" mode, and be REALLY careful. :tumble:

Barry
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

You have never passed a truck with his left turn signal flashing?
I guess I trust them more than you but I know that someday that trust will be wrong.

Bob Durrell
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 09:46 AM

Quote:

I trust all humans until individuals prove my trust is misplaced. People make mistakes---------'trust, but verify' is the best policy, I believe. But when your life is at stake, crank up the "verify" mode, and be REALLY careful. :tumble:

Barry

Okay, their emotions get in the way of their brains, I guess. :biggrin:

As far a people go? Any more, I prefer to verify before I trust as too many people are experts at wearing disguises; been burned too many times. Ah heck, I still set myself up too easily by trusting others. :biggrin:

Be it emotions, brains, or no brains, human animals are very unpredictable on the highways no matter what type of vehicle they are riding or driving. Best, to expect the unexpected. :-)
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Barry

Okay, their emotions get in the way of their brains, I guess. :biggrin:

As far a people go? Any more, I prefer to verify before I trust as too many people are experts at wearing disguises; been burned too many times. Ah heck, I still set myself up too easily by trusting others. :biggrin:

Be it emotions, brains, or no brains, human animals are very unpredictable on the highways no matter what type of vehicle they are riding or driving. Best, to expect the unexpected. :-)

Yep, 'defensive driving' is always the best policy, no matter where you are driving. I wish bicyclists would practice it more----they are SO vulnerble.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 10:27 AM

If you come around a blind curve, driving the safe/ legal speed, and bump into the back of an RV or truck, you probably aren't going to instantly kill someone.

Nobody is advocating reckless driving, cell phone talking, speeding or hating bikes. It is pure logic and physics: two objects cannot occupy the same place at the same time! If we can physically 'hit the brakes' before hitting a bike in our lane, then we would. But, if rounding a curve south of El Rosario (in a section not yet widened) and a semi is in the other lane, we can't pass a bike. That is a section unsafe for bikes. Hopefully, they will hear the sounds of two vehicles coming from opposite directions and somehow get off the narrow asphalt as much as possible.

Obviously, there is an attempt at creating a new special interest group, award it some special rights or privileges, and make the others pay or be inconvenienced by them, instead of asking the tiny percentage of these recreational riders avoid a danger to them and others?

Instead of all that additional 'government', how about some awareness, that's all...? It would seem many of these recreational bike riders have never been south of San Quintin, had a clue there was no shoulder (paved or dirt), and don't mean to cause harm or panic to all the users of Highway One?

Common sense should make this a no brainer.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 10:42 AM
Like the Deer Caught in Your Headlights

To answer your quiz, soulpatch....Naturally, passing a bicyclist would be the easiest.

The Baja Road would be a lot safer if we could all avoid the 'deer knuckle' crowd wherever possible. The real menaces are the drivers who exhibit anxiety, fear, panic, surprise and/or confusion, or substance abuse...with widely opened eyes and a lack of motor reactions. Bad or incapacitated drivers simply cannot react properly to the sudden & deadly events they encounter...and the chances that they will be culled from the herd are high.

Headlights anecdote. This will provoke some critics to the core, but that's as it should be. My experience is many round trips each year from 2 years before the highway was completed past my home in 1973. From time to time I often drive long, lonely stretches of the Baja Road at night. Far less traffic and very serene. Has anyone had the extreme pleasure of driving slowly across very straight and wide-open stretches of the Baja Road on a bright, clear moonlight night? ...with zero traffic? The scenery is magnificent and shows so brilliant that you can turn off your headlights and still see everything very clearly. Much more so than with the lights on. (I learned this as a teen driving on starlit and moonlit nights in the bright white snowfields up north) Coyotes, deer, cattle, burros, horses...all busy being part of the rock & cactus landscape. Play a little Pavoratti at low volume...it blends well. I tell you, it's a rare experience.

Naturally, the scene is best enjoyed without other vehicles....duh. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 1-29-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.