BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Romance/honeymoons in Baja
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 09:59 AM
Romance/honeymoons in Baja

OK I think this topic will bomb, but sparked by the lovebirds new Nomads Practicallymarried and their quest to explore Baja, and the response of Vagabundo and his honeymoon, what is your most romantic moment you can recall in Baja? Believe it or not, mine was in a hospital hahaha!! But seriously, share your experiences friends and let us know!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 10:41 AM

My rookie marriage was in Ensenada in 1962. Honeymoon at Quintas Papagayo.

[Edited on 2-4-2014 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 11:43 AM

I'll be in trouble for letting this out, but hey, I'm no stranger to that.

It happened at night on the balmy Sea of Cortez while we were on our 3 month honeymoon.

Co-pilot and I were aboard my cruiser, Pompano, with the diesel shut down and just peacefully drifting far offshore ...about 50 nautical miles south of Pt. Conception.

We had made a great fish dinner & salad, accompanied by a fine cold bottle of chardonnay. Life was good.

It was one of those flat calm nights at sea when you heard every sound....like the big manta rays jumping way off. If you looking the right direction, you could see the splash before the sound reached you. Phosphorescence showed small fishes breaking the surface and leaving glowing rings on the surface...porpoise would make their friendly splashes...pretty magical place for lovers.

We lay there on the padded engine cover and looked up at the bright Baja night sky. A million stars tried to light up our watery world. Now and then, a meteorite would streak across the scene. We thanked our lucky stars above for giving us this special & romantic time together.

Then, off in the distance we heard the faint blowing of a whale...(whoosh)...what a nice treat to add to the pleasure of being here...close together.

The whale exhaled again...a bit louder this time.....Whoooosh....

The next blow of the whale was Really Loud....WHOOOSH!!....

...and we were showered with the most nauseating, foulest smelling, wettest, CRUDDIEST stink in the world.

True story. Nothing like a whale to bust up the party...

[Edited on 2-5-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 01:14 PM

Somehow I KNEW Pompano would have a story to make me laugh out loud :)
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 01:33 PM

Oh man, that blows!
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 01:36 PM

Anthony's, Summer of 1990.

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 02:12 PM

Proposing to my wife on Christmas morning at Agua Verde and then getting married, two times, once with the judge in Cabo and the other on an isolated beach near Elias Calles with our friends and family.

Plenty of other fond memories but these two stand out.

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 07:45 PM

Got married at Hospitality Point San Diego at 10am on a Saturday 2005. 75 of the 76 guests boarded two busses for the 1 hour ride up the 94 to Tecate. Busses parked on US side and all of us walked across the border and down into Tecate to the Bar Diana. We have friends in Tecate that wanted to see us get married so our friends at the Diana set up the fountain area out back and arraigned for a Judge to marry us in Mexico at 12pm! (of course we did all the legal stuff, blood test, etc.. the weeks before).
Mario of the Diana was the one to instigate all of this. They had an open bar, several venues of food, musicians, waiters, covered tables and an area for us to do the ceremony. With all of the friends and officials of the town we had gotten to know over the years...the place was packed! Our friend Carlos, the owner of the Diana, his sons and Mario all witness/signed our marriage license.
If you've never seen a Mexican Marriage License try to find one to take a look. It is way cooler than the US paper thingys and has a serpent running the complete border reminiscent of the one at Uxmal.
We didn't see our guests make their way back to the busses on the US side as we were the last ones to leave the bar and walk up the hill with a blind friend of ours. When we got to the immigration station they were pretty amazed at 75 people coming through all at once and told us a few of them could still walk a straight line.
OH YEA...we had a lady vendor in the zocalo make a hundred little shot glasses covered in leather and a little guy sitting against a cactus with our names and wedding date noted. That is what the FIRST shot was served in to our guests upon arrival for a souvenir. A good buddy of mine riding in the bus that we weren’t in, on the way back down the mountain took his wood leg off and they passed it around each telling a story of how they met us!
We have some friends in Guatemala that would like to see us get married to...gonna visit them in 2015, who knows?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Proposing to my wife on Christmas morning at Agua Verde and then getting married, two times, once with the judge in Cabo and the other on an isolated beach near Elias Calles with our friends and family.

Plenty of other fond memories but these two stand out.

:cool:

e67e.jpg - 19kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish
Anthony's, Summer of 1990.
Dennys '91, Paris de noche '92 Wet Lips '93, Cosmos '94 Hot Fox '95..........must be the city of love!:lol:
flyguy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 08:38 PM

In 2007 I went to Baja with my Fiance and her sister ... came back and got dumped a week later!! 7 years later I have met the true love of my life and we are tying the knot August 31st!! We leave shortly after for our honeymoon road trip to Baja as my quest for some Baja romance continues :bounce::tumble::?:

I'll let you know how it goes...
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 08:57 PM

Sigh..what a nice response and so glad to hear there are many romantic male Nomads out there...chivalry is not dead in the 21st Century!! I guess when you are a person that appreciates nature and beautiful scenery it's only natural to want to enjoy it with a beautiful woman or handsome male..Good to throw back the bad fish waiting for an awesome catch.
Quote:
Originally posted by flyguy
In 2007 I went to Baja with my Fiance and her sister ... came back and got dumped a week later!! 7 years later I have met the true love of my life and we are tying the knot August 31st!! We leave shortly after for our honeymoon road trip to Baja as my quest for some Baja romance continues :bounce::tumble::?:

I'll let you know how it goes...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 12:14 AM

I like your picture DavidK. I'm assuming that's you and BajaAngel at Shell Beach.
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 08:50 AM

I sailed to Ensenada last summer and my special friend arrived on a bus and came to the boat to see a sign "?quieres ser mi novia?" She said "!Si!" and after several days in the cabin we sailed south. We now live in Playas and we are planning to drive to Loreto / Nopolo for Semana Santa and look for a place where we can retire, sail and fish every day, build a house, and we can be happy together.

We are very happy together.

We had many dates before the sailing vacation but she was waiting and waiting for me to ask her something very important. When she saw the sign she was so happy.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I like your picture DavidK. I'm assuming that's you and BajaAngel at Shell Beach.

No, look again and see that I quoted Bajaboy with that photo, in which HE describes how he got married in Baja. The beach is one I have been to, south of Todos Santos (Elias Calles) used to be a tiny resort called 'Cocina Pacifica' and next door lived Nomad 'Bajabus' (Max). I have not been to Shell Beach, but close, at Punta Chivato, in 1973.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 10:35 AM

I feel that our most romantic spot is equally divided between three places:

Shari's Dolphin room
Our bedroom in the house in BA
and
The Polynesian room, at Poco Cielo in La Mision.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 03:56 PM

My most romantic memory in baja occurred probably at San Francisquito in october of 1983.

After a horrendous drive getting there we parked my van on that beach next to the resort, side windows facing the cortez. Each morning we would draw the curtains at sunrise and watch the sun rise from the horizon. Then I would slide the side door open and we would step down on to the cool sand and walk to the waters edge. It was great to be alive and watch and feel the sea and sand between our toes. Then I would go back to the van and start the tea kettle boiling. We liked to while away our mornings like that reading paperback books, interrupted with long looks at the peaceful scene that stretched forever. We had been married a year by then.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 04:21 PM

Honeymoon with wife #1 was in Baja (1985) to the tip. Favorite spots were El Requeson in Bahía Concepción, and Punta Conejo... The Santiago Zoo was fun too as you could get real close to the critters. The Misión hotel in Loreto was a break from camping and the pool area bar made great Peña Coladas.

Some photos from that vacation:

About 7 years later, we returned to Baja with our two babies (Chris and Sarah):

[Edited on 2-7-2014 by David K]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.