BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tracking lost/stolen items via new IOS device- useful in Baja?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-9-2014 at 09:55 PM
Tracking lost/stolen items via new IOS device- useful in Baja?

After a traveller posted trip reports of a lost camera and a stolen motorcycle in San Felipe (happily, recovered with help of a reward payment) I was reminded of this device: the Tile.

http://www.thetileapp.com

I'm not a user or a seller. I'm just curious about new technology.

Cell service is becoming more widespread throughout the peninsula. I don't know how many nomads are Iphone users, but this sort of cell phone/community-based searching device has some interesting possibilities.

Unlike a Spot account that sends out alerts, location, and can communicate with basic messages, this tile simply sends out a GPS location to cellphones. Info is transmitted to people's IPhones only. (I suppose it could be used like a spot device also, to let people know where you are if you carry the tile on your person and give them access to your account.)

It appears you can set up a link to others in an area, who also use IPhones, so even if you are hundreds of miles away, their devices act as passive "transponders" when the tile is nearby, to let you know the location of the lost/stolen item the tile is attached to.

I'm trying to imagine how this could work. One possibility: if you leave it in your home in Baja attached to, say, a generator, and drive north on Business for a few days, then get an alert that the device is on the move, you could alert friends of a possible problem immediately vs waiting til you return home.

If local law enforcement is willing to investigate, you could send them GPS Information for the missing items (I know- big if)

No annual service payments. Just purchase for $20 and replace with a new device each year. Waterproof and small- could be hidden in boats, tackle boxes, camping gear, vehicles etc.

Interesting concept.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-9-2014 at 11:03 PM

There's also Android Device Manager:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/11/google-android-device-manag...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2014 at 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

Similar technology, but I think with a different purpose.

This is an Android app to help you find a lost/stolen phone or tablet device. I think iPhones and Macs have a similar system.

The Tile is a separate device that can be attached to anything. It is only compatible with IOS but can be attached to multiple types of objects.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 12:16 AM

Isn't it just a matter of time before thieves recognize this device the world over and make it a point to remove and discard it after the theft?

It's great for lost objects though. I lose my keys at least once a day.

It's a great invention anyway you look at it.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 12:21 AM

True. It's always a challenge to stay one step ahead of thieves.

These devices are small and designed be concealed pretty easily.

Here's another review/explanation of the tile: http://t.mensfitness.com/entry/view/id/23499

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 05:55 AM

the tile wouldn't work for stolen items in Baja...

someone else would have to have a tile
AND
there would have to be cell service to notify you

imagine...everyone would have to buy a tile...
not happening for 20 bucks a year

some people have trouble car insurance

its a great idea but the concept will be licensed to manufactures to install in their products and
the car industry already has something simular...it's called "on-star"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

Similar technology, but I think with a different purpose.

Oooops, you are correct. Sorry, I just re-read your original post. Must've been multi-tasking too many things when I first replied.

:-\

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 07:52 AM

Spot Trace:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
the tile wouldn't work for stolen items in Baja...

someone else would have to have a tile
AND
there would have to be cell service to notify you

imagine...everyone would have to buy a tile...
not happening for 20 bucks a year

some people have trouble car insurance

its a great idea but the concept will be licensed to manufactures to install in their products and
the car industry already has something simular...it's called "on-star"

Agree it may start to be integrated with other items perhaps as a choice at purchase. Sort of a LoJack system for hi end cameras, computers etc.

The Nomad network already works well to provide communication links to travelers and residents in need of locating lost/stolen stuff. Technology like this would add another option in the future.

Cell phone and GPS service is becoming ubiquitous in Baja. I had Telcel and MovieStar bars in pretty remote areas last month. As Early adopters (both travelers and residents) from the US begin to bring tiles with them, over time a network may evolve.

There are other similar options available. Spot has been mentioned. There's also Akio, a Bluetooth-based system. More will emerge as the technology becomes popular.

(See: http://www.akiosystem.com and http://www.stickrtrackr.com for starters.)

It's the natural evolution of consumerism: when you buy a lot of stuff you want to keep an eye on it.

[Edited on 2-10-2014 by Whale-ista]

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 01:27 AM

Whale-ista,
I appreciate your effort in bringing these locater devices to our attention....however , the "app" ones seem to be VERY limited to range but are good for finding your keys in the house.....but not realistic for my lost cameras/pack with goodies.....and $$$$$, posters, and Kiki found the motorcycle that was stolen.

The SPOT device is a contender for bikes, boat motors, etc that get ripped off as long as the unit has power and, more importantly, satellite reception.

The solution for my camera loss was to be more attentive in those situations of leaving an area......the solution for the opportunistic bike theft is $3 lock on a brake rotor, or to use the cable lock that I had on the bike......

It still blows my mind that I got my bike back.....worth the $15,000 peso reward :O :o :wow: .....:cool::biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 07:26 AM

Simply, this is a blue tooth device and will only track lost keys, phones etc., within about 100 feet or so. This is not a GPS tracking system

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 08:02 AM

Like Ed sez, you cant fix dumb....if you leave stuff, it goes away, we have all done it....I left for a 2-3 day trip when I had the big boat, got 30 miles down the SOC and realized I had left my camera bag on my truck hood..Got back, it was gone...A week or so later I went to the bar at the Serenidad and Don Johnson handed it to me...

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
...A week or so later I went to the bar at the Serenidad and Don Johnson handed it to me...

Yep,
People are the best locator devices :light: It's good to have honest ones around... :coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2014 at 11:40 AM

Thanks for all the feedback.

As I review the technology I realize most of these are "dense/urban" or household-level devices (except Spot) that work best when you are close to a missing object in your residence (where is that cellphone/keys-senior moment) and/or in a dense urban environment full of people who love new techie toys and tile-like devices.

In other words: not Baja.

I love the lo tech solutions: actually know your neighbors!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.