BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Residente card and automobiles
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 05:26 PM
Residente card and automobiles

I just had a conversation with the guy who processes my Residente card application. He is an immigration officer by day and runs a processing business in his off hours.

I asked him about residente cards and the requirement for Mexican drivers license and driving a US plated car. He said if you have a Residente card you are required to have a Mexican drivers license. If you have a Mexican drivers license, you cannot drive a non-Mexican plated car. He said it makes no difference if it is a temporary residente card or permanent residente card - the requirements are the same. I asked how anyone is going to know. He said there is talk in the immigration office that all non-Mexican citizens are going to be required to carry their papers on them at all times! He said he is concerned that the police are now going to require "foreigners" to produce papers when pulled over in a traffic stop. Immigration reform retaliation?

Currently, I drive a California plated car with a California drivers license. I am going to monitor this situation closely. My immigration buddy will keep me posted on increased surveillance. The time is approaching when I will need to import my car.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 05:42 PM

Can you hear the Carpenter's Tune in the background....?

"We've only just begun..."

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 08:45 PM
Nothing definitive, but...

I was just in the Aduana office in Sta. Rosalia this afternoon. This particular office does not handle permanent import, i.e. nationalization, of vehicles they did not venture to offer an opinion yea or ney with regards to my car and my particular situation.

The Aduana offices in La Paz, Ensenada and Tijuana are the only offices on the peninsula that can answer these questions definitively.

An importer located in La Paz: Agencia Solis, 612-122-0635 or 612-128-9469.

[Edited on 2-11-2014 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 09:12 PM

It's pretty simple

If you get pulled over, you don't give them your Perm Resident card. I have never been asked for my card, ever.

In Mexico, it is nearly impossible for the country to keep track of most everything, and everyone is worried about the plates on an auto?

Hardly anything to keep me up at night.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
It's pretty simple

If you get pulled over, you don't give them your Perm Resident card. I have never been asked for my card, ever.

I agree, I have never been asked for I.D. either. But that MAY be changing. If you don't produce a Residente card you might be asked to produce your tourist visa.

Quote:
In Mexico, it is nearly impossible for the country to keep track of most everything, and everyone is worried about the plates on an auto?

I agree. I'm not saying this is definitely going to happen, I am just giving a "heads up" that the Government has been discussing it in official circles. They have been noticing all the South Dakota plates too.

Quote:
Hardly anything to keep me up at night.

Finally, I agree, but forewarned is forearmed.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 11:29 AM

Thanks for the info oxxo. This will greatly impact us also. I think our main vehicle is still too "new" to import.

Do you have to forfeit your US plates when you import your vehicle to Mexico?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 12:05 PM

Did some research on importing my regular cab no frills standard shift 1998 SD registered 4wd 2.7L Tacoma. I am guessing that it may cost $2,000 USD (best info available, but not at all certain of this amount); the vehicle has a blue book value of $5,000 USD. If I have to drive it to the border to import it, that's another$700 USD for the round trip. The question is, when should I start the process?

I am waiting to hear of several reliable first hand witnessed reports with specific information and knowledge of actual current confiscations in the Baja before I consider importation of my truck. I am just hoping it won't be me who experiences the confiscation.

One alternative is to take the truck back to USA and sell it in southern California after I switch the registration from SD to Calif. I think that I can get $7000 to $8000 USD. BUT, and this is a big BUT, don't know if I can purchase a comparable and validly registered Mexican Tacoma for said $7,000 USD (my Tacoma only has 135,000 miles and drives like new).

[Edited on 2-11-2014 by MitchMan]
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 12:23 PM

I have imported all my vehicles over the years, it makes life easier with Mexican plates for me.
Last year I imported a 2001 Toyota 4wd crew cab, it was under $1200 usd and completed in 1 day in Tijuana, for another $500p I received nacional plates instead of frontera.
My liability insurance is about $2100p and covers the USA also.
Do some research before choosing an importer, there are some bad ones that produce forged documents, I believe only the aduanas and camino federales can verify what is real?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 12:29 PM

If one were to believe the the rantings of some nomads, you would be unable to drive the same vehicle under the same plate and license from California to Baja and back having a temp or perm residency would only be an impossible burden.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 12:51 PM

Unrant the ranters gnukid. What say you about plates, and licenses?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 01:03 PM

Can't believe nomads still whipping this horse. If you insist on asking aduana over and over and over this same question it eventually is going to get the attention of someone with the power to do something about it and you're gonna get the answer you're looking for. It really peees me off cuz your meddling is going to affect a bunch of people, and not in a good way. Stuff it back in your briefcase and wait instead of prodding the dragon. Geez us chrest.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Can't believe nomads still whipping this horse. If you insist on asking aduana over and over and over this same question it eventually is going to get the attention of someone with the power to do something about it and you're gonna get the answer you're looking for. It really peees me off cuz your meddling is going to affect a bunch of people, and not in a good way. Stuff it back in your briefcase and wait instead of prodding the dragon. Geez us chrest.

Uhhhhhhh, my amigo in the immigration office brought it up to me, I didn't bring it up to him. The dragon is already out of the bottle. I'm sure if we ignore the obvious, it will just go away.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
I just had a conversation with the guy who processes my Residente card application. He is an immigration officer by day and runs a processing business in his off hours...The time is approaching when I will need to import my car.

I believe Immigration deals with people, not cars.

Aduana is the office that deals with the law regarding cars.

A couple of thoughts:
Your "processing guy" knows all this above.

It seems a conflict of interest to hire an immigration officer to process your Mexican visa.
He is already being paid by the government to do so. Why do you pay him, too?

If he advises you to import your car will you hire him to process that transaction, too?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 09:14 PM
who better to hire

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
A couple of thoughts:

It seems a conflict of interest to hire an immigration officer to process your Mexican visa.

If he advises you to import your car will you hire him to process that transaction, too?

He is not paid to process your Mexican visa. He is paid by government during day to follow their rules, by night you get the benefit of knowing what will be approved.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
A couple of thoughts:

He is not paid to process your Mexican visa. He is paid by government during day to follow their rules, by night you get the benefit of knowing what will be approved.

Fair enough statement. Whoever wishes to hire someone to act as their representative in the immigration office has the right to do so. There are no restrictions as to who can act in this advisory position, anyone can do so. Hiring someone is optional.

However, at the immigration office each applicant is given an itemized list of requirements which he has to fulfill; the federal employee on duty verbally advises the person seeking the visa of each and every requirement that must be fulfilled. An application will not be accepted until these requirements are met-- yes, they do check the paperwork before submitting it for processing. This list is also available on-line. It's no secret.

Additionally, Aduana not Migracion, is the separate and distinct agency that handles the importation of cars. Yes, the federal government creates the rules, but the rules of automobile importation are reported to Aduana.

apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 10:32 PM

The more people bug the authorities about this the more likely it is that they'll realize that maybe they should be cracking down on it.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
The more people bug the authorities about this the more likely it is that they'll realize that maybe they should be cracking down on it.
Ahha, my point is in your statement. The "authorities" on the topic of this thread, I believe, is the office of Aduana, not Migracion.

I wouldn't go to Aduana to get my visa nor would I go to Migracion to import my car nor go to the electric company to pay my water bill.

stanburn
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 05:48 AM

Those of us living on the mainland have already been through this. Resident temporales can drive a foreign plated vehicle. Permanente can not. Federales here always ask for your visa and will confiscate the car. But that is here on the mainland, Manzanillo area to be exact.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pacsur
I have imported all my vehicles over the years, it makes life easier with Mexican plates for me.
Last year I imported a 2001 Toyota 4wd crew cab, it was under $1200 usd and completed in 1 day in Tijuana, for another $500p ...My liability insurance is about $2100p and covers the USA also.

so who did you use last year that takes ONLY one day
and who is your insurance with that covers mexico AND the USA

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Tacodawgtim
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 06:32 AM

It seems that this is a bigger problem on mainland Mexico.. Becoming a problem in Baja Sur, and not much of a problem at all in Baja Norte. I think it relates more to the fact that in Baja Norte a visa is not required..because of the tourism near the border.
I just got my permanent residence card last year. I was told that it was ok to drive my us plated vehicle but if I went on to become imagrado, then it required a Mexican drivers license and Mexican plated vehicle.
I would think that the recent changes in the visa program is leading to this confusion..
Who really know for sure. Even getting the permanent residence card requirements vary depending on where you are living...
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.