BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Stolen Boat - heading north from Punta Chivato ?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 03:50 AM
Stolen Boat - heading north from Punta Chivato ?

From the email inbox:
--

Subject: Stolen Boat
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014

A friend recommended you (Baja Nomads) and I was hoping you could help us.

We have a house in Punta Chivato near Mulege and were alerted to the fact that our boat was stole and heading north. It is a white 25 ft Mako with a 300hp Yamaha motor. It is called Bandit (written on both sides in black and grey) with a large white tuna tower...total boat height it 15.5ft so it should be easy to spot.

We were hoping you could spread the word through your network. We were unable to access the chat room/forums.

We have reported this to the authorities, so if you see it, please notify the federal police.

Thank you for your help.

Kim and Steele

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 05:04 AM
UMMM?

Not to be rude,have you ever heard of a VHF marine radio ?? They work really good and you can always ask for relays and spread the word on the water !!! that's your best bet...and You should get someone that is a local guy with time on the water/radio !! talking about a stolen boat here is a waste of your time !!!wish you luck and remember there is only a few places to get gas on the water !!! A good pic and big cash reward is your only hope !!!start NOW !!! ASAP !!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 06:33 AM

Capt KW...geez

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 07:49 AM

Can we assume that this was stolen by water and not by land?

It's probable they want it for the engine, especially if it is a four stroke. The boat is too difficult to hide for long. Certainly a shrimper/sardinero from Sonora would be visible towing it.

So, the most likely thing is to check locations where the engine could be lifted off the boat and see if people have been observed doing this. San Bruno, San Lucas Cove, Santa Rosalia, around San Marcos.

Of course a shrimper/sardinero could use a hoist to remove it just about anywhere. The best chance at finding it is if some local crack heads stole it and dont have a hoist on the water. They might need to get to shore to remove the engine.

I would expect to find the boat adrift very shortly. Hoping that they dont sink it but that is a very real possibility, too.

Too bad the law enforcement infrastructure is so poor in Mexico. :rolleyes: One feels completely helpless when things like this occur.

[Edited on 3-6-2014 by Hook]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 08:12 AM

I saw that boat in Palo Verde, and I think it was at the llantera. I believe it was last Friday when we were on our way for a gig at Los Chibatos restaurant.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Not to be rude,have you ever heard of a VHF marine radio ?? They work really good and you can always ask for relays and spread the word on the water !!! that's your best bet...and You should get someone that is a local guy with time on the water/radio !! talking about a stolen boat here is a waste of your time !!!wish you luck and remember there is only a few places to get gas on the water !!! A good pic and big cash reward is your only hope !!!start NOW !!! ASAP !!

Good reading in depth. The boat was taken from their house and nothing was ever said about being in the water. There is a road going out to Chivato and the boat is on a trailer.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 08:15 AM

It a long shot but I just reported this on our cruiser's net. In the outside chance that a shrimper is towing it, it helps to have the sailing community watching for the boat.

I wish I had thought of this before my first post. There are cruisers' nets in the Mulege/Chivato area at 8am. I hope they were alerted. It's a decent fishing day, today, and lots of people will be out and about.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 08:17 AM

Quote:

Waste of time? This boat could be on land. I would say stick to what you know....but you think you know it all.

Spread the word everyone.... Pescador thinks he saw it on the road ...ie in a llanetra.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 08:34 AM
boat

Excuse ME,,,I'm sorry that I'm soo stupid !!:lol:
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 08:53 AM

I asked some questions of some people in the know. The boat was sold to two guys in partnership. That did not work out so well, apparently, so it appears the partner without the boat is trying to exact some revenge ( my opinion). The partner with the title for the boat and trailer has the boat. So it would appear that the boat has not been stolen. Those are the facts that I have received. It appears this a dispute between partners.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Excuse ME,,,I'm sorry that I'm soo stupid !!:lol:

you should be sorry

Derek
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 09:00 AM

But I agree with the stupid part..

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 09:01 AM

Ahh yes, the all too common 'partnership' issue.

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I asked some questions of some people in the know. The boat was sold to two guys in partnership. That did not work out so well, apparently, so it appears the partner without the boat is trying to exact some revenge ( my opinion). The partner with the title for the boat and trailer has the boat. So it would appear that the boat has not been stolen. Those are the facts that I have received. It appears this a dispute between partners.

[Edited on 3-6-2014 by 55steve]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 10:07 AM

I missed the part where it was stolen by land, too Boats can head north by water. I pictured the owners last seeing it headed north past Muertos.

I have a vivid imagination, sometimes..................

I think I'll recommend the boating community "stand down" over here. The disputed ownership sounds pretty likely. "Stealing" a boat by driving it out the Chivato road? That's pretty stupid, unless you have a claim of ownership.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 01:35 PM

When I saw the assumption that it was taken by sea, I wrote back for clarification. Here's the reply I received:
---------------------------------

"...the boat is on a trailer heading north by land. We believe it is being pulled by an F150 truck so it may not make it far."

"Please post Steele's phone number... 562 243-1745... and email address: kimliptak@hotmail.com"

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I think I'll recommend the boating community "stand down" over here. The disputed ownership sounds pretty likely. "Stealing" a boat by driving it out the Chivato road? That's pretty stupid, unless you have a claim of ownership.

IMHO, if the party(s) with boat and trailer have title and proof of ownership in hand, the other bereaved party is S-O-L. Far's notifying the authorities is concerned that'll be like peeing on a forest fire. I've not known them to do a damned thing yet, unless well-greased.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
When I saw the assumption that it was taken by sea, I wrote back for clarification. Here's the reply I received:
---------------------------------

"...the boat is on a trailer heading north by land. We believe it is being pulled by an F150 truck so it may not make it far."

"Please post Steele's phone number... 562 243-1745... and email address: kimliptak@hotmail.com"

The F150 seems to be what I remember. At this age I sometimes stand in front of the refrigerator and wonder if I am putting something away or taking it out. Anyway, It was a F150 that I saw and did not pay much attention to the whole deal because it was at the llantera.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 09:27 PM

So, has the guy contacted the other owner?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ

I totally missed seeing this post until now.

:!:

grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote:

Pretty rude there Captain (6 pak)

The harder I work, the luckier I get
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.