Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Nomads who lost Windows XP
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:03 PM
Nomads who lost Windows XP

Right after Easter my tech guy will come over to download Windows 7, get rid of Outlook and secure my computer best he can. Am I the last Nomad to do this? Those who didn't have to upgrade by buying a new computer; what problems have cropped up if any?

I've been using my computer to write books and stories, store pix and do research. I don't use it for music or big files and in several years I've only used about 12% of my original gigs so I don't see a good reason to buy a new computer yet. What say you geeks?
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:18 PM

Hey osprey, I use firefox with XP, Avast sent an email last month sayin to read this link it said if you have service pack 3 and XP you are still good to go?? and the techy forums mentioned if you want to make sure your safe when doing banking stuff use gchrome, so that's what I do now, from what I have been reading most peeps with SP3 are holding on to XP, I am just waiting a bit because I'm gettin a laptop soon with windows 8 I guess, then I will update:coolup:
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:21 PM

Nuthin wrong with 7....love it

sold out and got out !!!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:27 PM

Going to 7 next week.....

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:31 PM

Hey you 7 guys, can you still use firefox,malbytes and Avast like on XP???
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:34 PM

If you are thinking about going to Windows 8, please try before you buy. My brother picked up two Dell machines for his place and about 3 to 4 hours into playing with Windows 8, he told me that he was not sure he would ever figure it out.

Turns out that one of the keyboards was bad so he was fighting both hardware and software problems. I showed him how to get around a bit and reorganized his tile interface so he could get to the desktop easily. Once all that was done, he told me that if he spent a lot of time with Win 8.1 he might get it figured out.

Once you get Win 8.1 update 1, you should be able to boot directly to the desktop which would have helped him a lot.

Make sure that you boot the machine and figure out how to get to things like the control panel and file manager.
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwolfmt
Hey you 7 guys, can you still use firefox,malbytes and Avast like on XP???

Sure can. 7 is great. I'm not even bothering with 8. Microsoft has a history messing up every other OS. That's why XP and 7 are solid.

[Edited on 4-19-2014 by mrfatboy]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 06:16 PM

don't go 8....

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 06:43 PM
windows 8.1

my laptop took a beer and stopped working so I shopped around and bought almost the same Toshiba c-55 (15.6 screen) satellite for $278.oo on sale (new) and spent the better part of a day to reconfigure it....widows 8 is a whole new ballgame !!! and no more support (new) is avable for windows 7 ......of course # 9 is probly on the drawing board.. after MANY changes its fine...and you can always download back to windows 7 if you want.......K&T

[Edited on 4-19-2014 by captkw]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 06:58 PM

actually, win7 is still being supported..... it's XP that is in the realm of hackers and the non-informed. don't use XP anymore....

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 07:01 PM
windows 7

Hola,I read in "WIRED" magazine that no "NEW" stuff is coming from windows for 7 that's just what I read !!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 07:12 PM

that could be. keep in mind XP was issued in +/- 1997. win7 was issued in +/-2008 so i bet they will support it for a few more years.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 07:18 PM
Win 8

Got two new Toshiba 15.6" Win 8 laptops from WOOT (http://www.woot.com/)

Had both set up by the local Punta Banda computer guru, Cyberbug Bobby

Transferred all data from an old Win 7 machine and all data from an XP netbook.

Apparently there is an application that makes Win 8 look and work like Win 7........both are up and working great

susaninlapaz
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 06:42 AM

well, never being one to go with a new trend, I just bought a used notebook with xp on purpose because I've never liked windows 7 as well, and you couldn't pay me to touch 8. all this agitation about "new" security issues reminds me of y2k hysteria. I am a total luddite and will repost on this thread when I need loans from you all cuz my bank account was hacked...as for xp not being "supported" I have NEVER gotten any real help from Microsoft in my life.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 06:46 AM

i'm talking patching known holes, updating software, etc.... not "help".

wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 08:03 AM

Before you dump XP, take a look at what you might loose. Last year we sold our home and moved about 85 miles away. The realtor offered to email me documents that I would fill out and then I scanned and emailed them back.

In this process I found out that 2 flat bed scanners and 1 film scanner did not have Windows 7 drivers. I also found out that 2 of the printers that I was using did not have Windows 7 drivers. Granted these are old devices but they still work just fine. I got down to one old XP machine that could scan and another one was connected to the only printer that would work.

I have moved all my personal data over to Windows 7 but I plan to keep one or two XP machines around to run the old peripherals.

Most new printers now days, come with a scanner so when my best old printer lost a pixel in the color head, I decided to purchase a new printer rather than a new head. The cost was less than $10 more for the new printer than the old head. The new printer comes with Airprint which allows us to print directly from Apple and Android devices. Actually the Apple software works well and the Android software works some times.

Any hacker that thinks there is anything of value on my old XP machines will waste a lot of time.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 08:39 AM

If anyone is interested, Costco.com is still selling Toshiba and HP laptops with Win7 Professional. Many also ship with 8.1 CDs but they are pre-loaded with Win7. That's the route I am going. My XP machine of seven years is finally dying. It has been the workhorse computer for the whole house for many years.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 11:23 AM

Wiltonh makes a good point. Whenever you upgrade your OS the driver issue often comes up. It can be a pain after that.

At my job we upgraded to Windows 7. They resolve all these issues. At home I'm holding to the XP as long as possible.

Windows 7 is a fine, reliable operating system.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 12:22 PM
win 8.1 and older periphery

Quote:
Originally posted by wiltonh
Before you dump XP, take a look at what you might loose. Last year we sold our home and moved about 85 miles away. The realtor offered to email me documents that I would fill out and then I scanned and emailed them back.

In this process I found out that 2 flat bed scanners and 1 film scanner did not have Windows 7 drivers. I also found out that 2 of the printers that I was using did not have Windows 7 drivers. Granted these are old devices but they still work just fine. I got down to one old XP machine that could scan and another one was connected to the only printer that would work.

I have moved all my personal data over to Windows 7 but I plan to keep one or two XP machines around to run the old peripherals.

Most new printers now days, come with a scanner so when my best old printer lost a pixel in the color head, I decided to purchase a new printer rather than a new head. The cost was less than $10 more for the new printer than the old head. The new printer comes with Airprint which allows us to print directly from Apple and Android devices. Actually the Apple software works well and the Android software works some times.

Any hacker that thinks there is anything of value on my old XP machines will waste a lot of time.

I am with you. My xp machines [desktop and laptop] are both old and needed replacement, I bought a new HP desktop with 8.1 installed, got office 2013 and IE 11 all built in. Now the new HP does not "pair" up with the older XP machines on my home network. The other 2 XPs still talk to each other. I was able to transfer files from my old XP desktop and my Carbonite subscription to the new HP using the network some how - but my work horse HP laser B&W only printer does not have drivers for 8.1 so I will use both my XPs as side jobs needed and only the new HP for internet connection. I put MacAfee on all 3 machines due to a special that came with the new HP. I think I can safely go on line occasionally with the XP machines with MacAfee in place as internet security.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 05:43 PM

I still have XP with no problems and plan to keep it as long as possible also.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.