BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Do you get ROAD RAGE more in the US or in BAJA?
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 07:52 AM
Do you get ROAD RAGE more in the US or in BAJA?

I think the driving in Tijuana is a organized free for all but for me, it seems to flow okay. I don't remember feeling rage in Tijuana or in the rural areas of Baja.

I've had rage at times while driving in California but I've driven many more years in CA so maybe it's a proportional thing.

I think there is something about the Mexico state of mind vs. the American attitude that makes for different fuse lengths.

What causes the difference?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 08:37 AM

I have gotten upset in TJ a few times, most recently while trying to find the Sentri lane. Just an overall anger at there never being any signs and the cluster&*% that is the border crossing.

Yesterday, after taking the Blvd 2000 to go to Otay for the Sentri crossing, I entered the wrong line behind the car wash and found myself in the regular lanes, on a holiday weekend. Fortunately it was 11AM and there were only 6 cars.

Now, in the USA, I will get angry when people are in the fast lane going 60 MPH.

[Edited on 4-21-2014 by Ateo]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 08:49 AM

Road Rage is bad.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 09:07 AM
Otay SENTRI

For best results turn before the car wash, not after......:lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
I have raged in TJ a few times, most recently while trying to find the Sentri lane. Just an overall anger at there never being any signs and the cluster&*% that is the border crossing. It's my fault for not knowing every street in TJ. I don't blame Mexico, it's their country.

Yesterday, after taking the Blvd 2000 to go to Otay for the Sentri crossing, I entered the wrong line behind the car wash and found myself in the regular lanes, on a holiday weekend. Fortunately it was 11AM and there were only 6 cars.

Now, in the USA, I will get angry when people are in the fast lane going 65 MPH.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 09:12 AM
Mega road rage

Back in the 80s I flew into LAX on the red eye from DC, picked up a rental car and headed out to my meeting in San Bernardino.

Coming out of the airport there are 2 left turn lanes onto Century Blvd and 1 straight ahead lane. I was in the number 2 left turn lane and a guy in a Mazda truck was next to me in the go straight lane.

When the light turned green he punched it and chopped in front of me. Without thinking I honked the horn and flipped him off. So he slammed on his brakes, opened his door and got out with a baseball bat in his hands.

There was no one in the number one lane next to me so I punched it to go around him. He saw me coming and jumped back in the truck but left the door open. As I passed him I caught the door and knocked it completely off the hinges. I watched to door skidding down the road in my rear view mirror and just kept going.

When I returned the rental car the next day there was minor damage to the front bumper and right fender but nobody said anything and I was never billed for the damage. However I worried for weeks that someone had taken down my plate number and that the police would track me down and charge me with hit and run.

Bob Durrell
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 09:18 AM

Never road rage but in the U.S. drivers tend to pee me off more often. I think it's because bad on no driving skills are expected down here and in the U.S. I know they know better. :yes:::yes:
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 09:29 AM

More road anger in the US. I guess because I feel at home. In Mex I'm on vacation and it's not my country. I try to be a good visitor. At home...I'm a crappy host.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 09:29 AM

I think JP has the right description.
However, every time I head south, some new move by a Mexican driver appears in front of me.

I fail to be surprised any more.

My attitude is "ONLY IN MEXICO"

In some instances, I am now imitating them.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 09:37 AM

How can a person get road rage in a country that has thousands of cars knocking and smoking and chugging at 15 mph? Mexico and Type A don't mix too good. Best for hotheads to stay in Cantcun or Cabo San Loco and rave at Juan, the bartender, fugitive from Santa Ana.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Back in the 80s I flew into LAX on the red eye from DC, picked up a rental car and headed out to my meeting in San Bernardino.

Coming out of the airport there are 2 left turn lanes onto Century Blvd and 1 straight ahead lane. I was in the number 2 left turn lane and a guy in a Mazda truck was next to me in the go straight lane.

When the light turned green he punched it and chopped in front of me. Without thinking I honked the horn and flipped him off. So he slammed on his brakes, opened his door and got out with a baseball bat in his hands.

There was no one in the number one lane next to me so I punched it to go around him. He saw me coming and jumped back in the truck but left the door open. As I passed him I caught the door and knocked it completely off the hinges. I watched to door skidding down the road in my rear view mirror and just kept going.

When I returned the rental car the next day there was minor damage to the front bumper and right fender but nobody said anything and I was never billed for the damage. However I worried for weeks that someone had taken down my plate number and that the police would track me down and charge me with hit and run.

I try to control my road rage but how come I love this story. The idea of the door sliding down the road makes me smile. I think it is called "justice".
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 10:04 AM

Jimmy Buffett

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I think JP has the right description.
However, every time I head south, some new move by a Mexican driver appears in front of me.

I fail to be surprised any more.

My attitude is "ONLY IN MEXICO"

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I under stand the move that I admire most is the one where when the light changes the guy or more often gal in the far right lane charges ahead and turns left in front of everyone. I just cant work up the courage to try that one.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Yeah...that happens. Seems like you'll never reach your destination unless you drive like a selfish me-me-me-first a-hole.

Ohhh well...when in Mexico..............!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

I try to control my road rage but how come I love this story. The idea of the door sliding down the road makes me smile. I think it is called "justice".

you call that justice?

i think that's a tale about 2 hotheads, one buttcrack got punishment, one buttcrack got away.

the one that got away never learned his lesson, as he still thinks it's funny he flipped the bird, initiated a fight and then hit-and-run his opponent.

:(:(
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 10:37 AM

Not road rage, but when I enter Mex, my ears get
big, head on a swivel, radar on, etc., perhaps needless anxiety.
Hwy driving SOB doesn't effect me that way. I only feel at ease only when I get to turn off the igintion
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
you call that justice?

i think that's a tale about 2 hotheads, one buttcrack got punishment, one buttcrack got away.

the one that got away never learned his lesson, as he still thinks it's funny he flipped the bird, initiated a fight and then hit-and-run his opponent.

You fail to comprehend the essence of "Stand your ground." The a-hole's lucky he didn't gain a few grains of weight in the process. :cool:

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 11:44 AM

The only time I get road rage in MX is driving in the fustercluck that is the DF... particularly once you pass the exit for the Circuito Exterior headed west in Edomex. Everywhere else, including GDL, I'm pretty laid back, and in Baja I just let it all roll by me, even in Tijuana.

I "chat" constantly with the other drivers in California though. They're all named Stu... Stu Pididiot.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
you call that justice?

You fail to comprehend the essence of "Stand your ground." The a-hole's lucky he didn't gain a few grains of weight in the process. :cool:

which a-hole? there were 2.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 12:07 PM

My favorite maneuver is what we call the third world, third lane, left hand turn. The car is in the shoulder on the right side of the road but just before the light turns green, the driver races into the intersection to turn left in front of all the people who are actually in lanes. In some case there is a left turn lane, you know the one on the left side of the lanes.

I forgot...no rage involved, amazement maybe but no rage!

[Edited on 4-21-2014 by bajajudy]

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 12:08 PM

According to a cousin visiting me a few years ago, American drivers are very polite compared to their European counterparts.

He said a 4 way stop, so common here, would never work in Europe and would result in one giant fustercluck, since everyone would try to beat the other guy to the intersection.

And road rage is very common, with lots of incidents.

And no ALTO "suggestions" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.