Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Observation from my recent trip as far as Loreto
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 06:22 AM
Observation from my recent trip as far as Loreto

OK so I've been away for a few years BUT in my recent travels and in talking to lots of folks along the way I seem to feel that unlike decades ago when most everyone was going down there to camp and fish, now a days most of the travel by vehicle is for off roading purposes. Bikes, quads, sand buggies, big high lift 4X4s, etc.
Years ago you'd even see flat bed trucks, set up with a garage full of fishing stuff INCLUDING full size freezers and generators to run them for the catch! Yes, I saw that in BOLA during yellowtail season 30 years ago.
What say you?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 06:25 AM

Yep, you are right, all the fish are gone, so now they get to tear up the desert.

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 11:06 AM

Fishermen may be gone but some fish still survive:-)
Most now ARE tearing up the desert.
Pescador-I need to fish with you someday :-)
JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 04:16 PM

Jeez, it must have just been a mirage the freezer I saw in the back of a pickup in BoLA not long a go.

Btw, here's the view from La Gringa after ridding my bike up it a couple weeks ago.

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 05:41 PM

good photos, thanks.

bacquito
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 07:05 PM

Jz. Incredible pics.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 07:15 PM

Times change. Sometimes our memories do as well. I bet back in the day there was a mix of surfers, fisherman, and explorers. I would guess there are more dirt bike/off-roaders these days but not by much. What do I know, I'm a newbie since 1983.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 07:41 PM

Could be but I do remember seeing lots more flying their own airplanes to go fish and driving down with the same idea. Few motorcycles and off roaders were seen by me and as I never went to the Pacific side I never saw surfers (of course they were a lower class when I was in high school. One didn't associate with them unless you wanted your reputation to suffer:-)
This trip the vast majority of observations were looking at were off roaders and their equipment
Just my casual observation and no scientific poll.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 08:07 PM

might be because off-road equipment is more available and the Hwy makes it easier to bring them on down although 30 years ago is not all that long ago....

[Edited on 5-23-2014 by rts551]
neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 10:20 PM
Well, in Calif, at least....

... it seems like the whole damn desert is closed off to riding, these days... that's a big change from 30 years ago.... maybe that's why there's more off-road activity (in Mex.) now.

something I (still can) love about Baja.. if you want to ride your 2-stroke desert sled w/uncorked expansion chamber down the beach, well, if you don't run anybody over or irritate'em too bad, go for it!

Viva Baja Libre!

Neil

... wishing he still had the DT-1 and the Maico.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.