Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: El Nino Info
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 12:54 PM
El Nino Info

No comments expected/wanted re: Al Gore, etc:

Just FYI..... http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/how-will-el-nino-impact-weather-patterns/28437/

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 01:01 PM

Interesting..thanks

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 07:27 PM

ged, one of the things my neighbor on the right and I agree on is the water is higher over the last couple of years, the weather has changed, and the water temps are warmer.

We are hoping for a great fishing season this summer!
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 06:54 AM

Thanks, ged.
One of the easiest to understand and clearly illustrated articles I have recently read on the subject.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 09:16 AM

Thanks Ged, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I find Dr. Gillham to be a small college meteorologist who just got his PHD three years ago. He seems to have a major interest in preparing "TV Weather Men" for media presentation of "weather forecasts". This doesn't make him wrong, but may explain his ability to simplify the explanation of El Niņo/La Niņa. This site: http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/forecast.html
is a well funded effort and contains links to forecasts, observations, and research methods they've utilized.

I did learn from Dr. Gillham that this year's (potential annual) El Niņo is graphically a blip on the sine wave's low point as seen over a period of decades of rising and falling sea water temperatures in the applicable regions. I don't remember seeing that before. Thanks.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 03:29 PM

Which one (El Niņo or La Niņa ) that brings all the rains to CA? It was topic of conversation the other night and was split down the middle.

We need the rain !!!

[Edited on 5-31-2014 by mrfatboy]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
Which one (El Niņo or La Niņa ) that brings all the rains to CA? It was topic of conversation the other night and was split down the middle.

We need the rain !!!

[Edited on 5-31-2014 by mrfatboy]

El Nino=Rains in CA

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 03:56 PM

Thank you for confirming. That's what I thought. Several people owe me a steak dinner. Viva El Niņo!
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 04:55 PM

where has the water been higher and by how much. no scientists are claiming that water levels have already risen, just that they will rise and by vary small increments. As far as temps, we have had El Nino's many times before. Long before man was heating up the planet.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
where has the water been higher and by how much. no scientists are claiming that water levels have already risen, just that they will rise and by vary small increments. As far as temps, we have had El Nino's many times before. Long before man was heating up the planet.

Nat Geo: Scientific research indicates sea levels worldwide have been rising at a rate of 0.14 inches (3.5 millimeters) per year since the early 1990s.

you can google sea level rise and find all kinds of info. Have not found any argument against the rise....only the cause.

For what ever reason, we have noticed it at the high tide line in front of our house.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

Nat Geo: Scientific research indicates sea levels worldwide have been rising at a rate of 0.14 inches (3.5 millimeters) per year since the early 1990s.

you can google sea level rise and find all kinds of info. Have not found any argument against the rise....only the cause.

For what ever reason, we have noticed it at the high tide line in front of our house.

David Kier swears sea level is the same based on his many adventures to Shell Island. So it's up to you on whom to believe:light:

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 07:42 PM

Interesting article Thanks!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 10:02 AM

More El Niņo info

http://sealevel.jpl.nasa.gov/science/elninopdo/learnmorenino...

I was splaining to my neighbor about they why to's and what for's on the weather pattern and his blank stare and slight look of doubt had me sending this link to him so he could look around and take it all in at his own speed.

Disclaimer - these are some of the same organization who put a man on the moon so take their observations with a grain of salt. :biggrin::saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 10:39 AM

They never went to the moon! It was all a Hollywood setup in order to get more money.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 10:43 AM

Folks---the sea level rise they're talking about in the article has to do with the warmer sea temps in the Pacific caused by the El Nino pattern and nothing to do with climate change--- water expands as it heats up---that's how they measure sea surface temps with satellites.
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 08:33 AM

US weather forecaster sees 70% chance of El Nino - @Reuters
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 08:48 AM

in places like Laguna Ojo de Liebre where it is so flat, it is very noticeable if there is even a small rise in water levels which has definitely been observed there. They had to move the camp sites up as they are now flooded at a high tide. My original camp from 25 years ago is underwater at high tide.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 09:15 AM

Quote:

Here is a good site to help clear-up any misunderstanding. I thought the stuff beginning on page 16 was appropriate to your contention.

http://www.cakex.org/sites/default/files/documents/NCA-PIRCA...

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 09:19 AM

"No comments expected/wanted re: Al Gore, etc:"

Come on Ged, you're taking all the fun out of it, how long can this post stay active with a limitation like that?
:lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:

El Nino=Rains in CA

I hope, I've never valued water like I do now. 70 temp
Ocean water here in May, not sure I've ever seen that
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.