Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Otay Mesa Immigration
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 10:54 AM
Otay Mesa Immigration

We went down to Otay Mesa this morning (Sunday) to pick up our FMMs for our upcoming trip. Unfortunately, they no longer sell them on the weekends except at the airport or at El Chaparel. Oh well, at least the pedestrian line crossing back was only a few minutes.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 11:02 AM

bummer..... no FMM's on weekends? another Mexism!

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
We went down to Otay Mesa this morning (Sunday) to pick up our FMMs for our upcoming trip. Unfortunately, they no longer sell them on the weekends except at the airport or at El Chaparel. Oh well, at least the pedestrian line crossing back was only a few minutes.

Bad news good news.
Bad=strikeout on the FMM's
Good=you are going on a trip!

Have fun and safe travels!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 02:35 PM

I am glad to hear you at least tried to get the FMMs before your trip.

We did the same thing in 2012 and reported it here, (got them successfully on a Sunday)...

Of course the next barrage was from the 'letter of the law' Nomads who said the FMMs are only good for the one trip (ie. that day we got them stamped in Tijuana) and using them 5 days later for our big trip was 'illegal', since that was a second trip across the border with the same FMM.

The plain truth and what works in real life is the FMM is valid from the date they are stamped at the border for the period of time written in (up to 180 days). The cost is the same for 8 days or 180 days. Airplane travelers have to surrender theirs when they depart Mexico, but no such system exists for land (auto) travelers. A mailing address was provided by Discover Baja Travel Club for you to mail it back by the expiration date, but no address is on the FMM.

If you want to get one issued for each separate trip (if you go more than once in a 180 day period, then you could have the days written in reflect the duration of your trip and not the full 180 days.

Have a great time Zac and Tracy, your kids are so lucky! I know taking mine to Baja when they were small had a positive affect on them loving Baja and the Mexican people they met there.

In the Matomi Movie by El Camote is a scene showing Bajaboy (Zac) and my daughter Sarah (10) hiking the sulfur mine in 2001 during our Amigos de Baja group tour. Christopher is shown asking if the fumes from burning sulfur will kill you, when some is lit... typical boy question! That was a great trip!

Enjoy the times with your children, while they are still children!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

huesos
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 05:12 PM
confusion

Mine says 'multiple entry' clearly at the top.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 06:21 PM

huesos, I have a copy of my last FMM and it says:
FORMA MIGRATORIA MULTIPLE (FMM )
which translates to:
MULTIPLE MIGRATORY FORM
meaning the form is used for more than a tourist permit, not multiple entry...
Just turn it over and read what it states under the word IMPORTANT on the upper right side.....
DAVID refuses to read that sentence and keeps advising Nomads to break the rules of Mexico, ultra nomad my a** .........

I hear the whales song
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper
which translates to:
MULTIPLE MIGRATORY FORM
Just turn it over and read what it states under the word IMPORTANT on the upper right side.....
DAVID refuses to read that sentence and keeps advising Nomads to break the rules of Mexico, ultra nomad my a** .........

Reread my post and the OP (original post)... :rolleyes: You are also missing the obvious reason I replied here. Zac, like nearly every seasoned Baja traveler takes his FMM (and FMT before) a second (or more) time across the border.

EDIT: I only used my FMM for ONE vacation AFTER I got it. Nobody should break any laws... and the speed limit is 50 mph on most of Hwy. 1 too, :light:

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I am glad to hear you at least tried to get the FMMs before your trip.

We did the same thing in 2012 and reported it here, (got them successfully on a Sunday)...

Of course the next barrage was from the 'letter of the law' Nomads who said the FMMs are only good for the one trip (ie. that day we got them stamped in Tijuana) and using them 5 days later for our big trip was 'illegal', since that was a second trip across the border with the same FMM.

The plain truth and what works in real life is the FMM is valid from the date they are stamped at the border for the period of time written in (up to 180 days). The cost is the same for 8 days or 180 days. Airplane travelers have to surrender theirs when they depart Mexico, but no such system exists for land (auto) travelers. A mailing address was provided by Discover Baja Travel Club for you to mail it back by the expiration date, but no address is on the FMM.

If you want to get one issued for each separate trip (if you go more than once in a 180 day period, then you could have the days written in reflect the duration of your trip and not the full 180 days.

Have a great time Zac and Tracy, your kids are so lucky! I know taking mine to Baja when they were small had a positive affect on them loving Baja and the Mexican people they met there.

In the Matomi Movie by El Camote is a scene showing Bajaboy (Zac) and my daughter Sarah (10) hiking the sulfur mine in 2001 during our Amigos de Baja group tour. Christopher is shown asking if the fumes from burning sulfur will kill you, when some is lit... typical boy question! That was a great trip!

Enjoy the times with your children, while they are still children!

We spend on average two months per year in Baja. We get our permits two times a year as such. It's often a hassle but we try to respect the laws.

David, great memories on our first encounter. I still have nothing but the utmost respect for you despite the fact that you watch Fox News:P

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 07:28 PM

I interpreted Bajaboy's post to be about permits no longer being available on the weekend. GOOD INFO bajaboy.

DK why did you think this post was about you?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 11:09 AM

It's about FMM being valid for a second Mexican trip following the one you validate them on. Try not to fascinate on my replies so much. Have a nice day.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
I have a copy of my last FMM and it says:
which translates to:
MULTIPLE MIGRATORY FORM
meaning the form is used for more than a tourist permit, not

That is the ONLY CORRECT interpretation, Mex Imm is granting the Tourist ONE ENTRY INTO MEX, for x number
of days. Never has been mulitiple entries. What one
chooses to do with it is another matter, keep it for more
than 1 entry, fine. But that is not the intent of the fmm. What is with the statement 'letter of the law'? I don't know
who was granted permission to manipulate, bend,
regs/laws to fit their personal taste, in this case it is
all about saving $24
for another fmm within 180 days, it's that simple. That sure
is poor by the Otay Imm, what if a tourist crosses Otay
on a weekend, looking for an fmm. Are they going to tell him
to cross back over and go thru San Ysidro? I'm sure they
could not answer the ? whether one could get an fmm in
Ensenada, at least they could issue the fmm with the
pay the fee at a bank down the road. Sounds like they
don't trust the Imm Officers will turn the fees, or the
guy with the rubber stamp has the weekends off

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by sancho]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
which translates to:
MULTIPLE MIGRATORY FORM

Nobody should break any laws... and the speed limit is 50 mph on most of Hwy. 1 too, :light:

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by David K]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

And that's what you drive in places such as Valle de los Cirios?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 07:47 PM

I love cirios, but I call them by their pet name, "boojums"!

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 09:20 PM

Otay Mesa is a commercial entry which might explain why they don't cater to tourists on the weekend.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-3-2014 at 07:50 AM

When flying to Mexico via an airplane, one is asked to fill out a form which is exchanged at the INM kiosks for FMT 's at the arriving terminal. The issue it for 180 days.
However, upon departure, from Mexico, one surrenders that issued FMT.
I interpret that as meaning your FMT was only good for as long as one was in Mexico and is to be surrendered upon departure.

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
which translates to:
MULTIPLE MIGRATORY FORM

That is the ONLY CORRECT interpretation, Mex Imm is granting the Tourist ONE ENTRY INTO MEX, for x number
than 1 entry, fine. But that is not the intent of the fmm. What is with the statement 'letter of the law'? I don't know
all about saving $24

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2014 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
When flying to Mexico via an airplane, one is asked to fill out a form which is exchanged at the INM kiosks for FMT 's at the arriving terminal. The issue it for 180 days.
However, upon departure, from Mexico, one surrenders that issued FMT.
I interpret that as meaning your FMT was only good for as long as one was in Mexico and is to be surrendered upon departure.

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
which translates to:
MULTIPLE MIGRATORY FORM

The airlines are charged with the responsibility to collect the FMM forms. Does anyone recall the days of yore when at an airport in Mexico, you had to pay an exit fee in cash in order to get to the boarding area?

Anyway, unless and until the Mexican government perfects their computer system to allow them to track these "visas", and makes it easy for one to surrender them when crossing the border, I see no real reason (especially since we all cannot even agree on whether it is a single or multiple pass) not to use the FMM for as many times as you can within the 180 window.

Geez. If many of the Nomads travel South multiple times every month, that could add up if you have to pay $24 each entry.

all about saving $24

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2014 at 05:21 PM

We normally get our permits before heading down and we make this clear to immigration agents. They don't seem to have an issue with it. Thus, I infer that it is okay to use the permit for multiple entries. If one chooses to buy one with each trip, feel free to do so. There are plenty that choose not to get one at all...which is no bueno in my book.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2014 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
We normally get our permits before heading down and we make this clear to immigration agents. They don't seem to have an issue with it. Thus, I infer that it is okay to use the permit for multiple entries. If one chooses to buy one with each trip, feel free to do so. There are plenty that choose not to get one at all...which is no bueno in my book.

This! :light::yes::cool:

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 6-3-2014 at 05:42 PM

Quote:

Ditto, and have fun for us........... Pics please to make us all homesick ;D
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2014 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Quote:

Ditto, and have fun for us........... Pics please to make us all homesick ;D

10-4 amigo

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.