BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Questions about Villa del Palmar
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 04:21 PM
Questions about Villa del Palmar

http://bookvip.com/hotel_details?id=77&pid=203&arriv...

Friends of mine are interested in the attached offer from Villa del Mar.

It is extremely inexpensive for what you allegedly get and I warned them about being in the middle of nowhere but it is still intriguing.

Has anyone actually stayed there under the same or similar plan that they are offering? Do they hound you in their presentation after telling them no the first time? How was the food and were the free drinks easy to obtain?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 05:00 PM

Inasmuch as you are a part time resident of Loreto, I would have thought you were more up to date on that property.

Fact is that the Villa Group, which operates timeshares in a number of Mexican resort town, seemed to have taken a leap of faith in going ahead and developing there.

There are a number of obstacles. One being that the resort they built is far out of town. The other being that there is very little airline service to Loreto and what there is is quite expensive.

That said, their properties are really first class. Top rate rooms. Great food. The only issue would be that if your friends decide to take this opportunity, they WILL be subjected to a major timeshare sales presentation, that will probably take almost three hours. I'm fairly certain that for anyone who actually agrees to take them up on those offered rates. they will be obliged to attend the timeshare fun time. Or, their rates will be raised.

So, as long as your friends are capable of not falling prey to the timeshare presentation, the offer is really super good.

They do have a shuttle to go into town, but if I was to stay there, I would rent a car at the airport.

And I guess you don't want them staying with you.:lol::lol:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 05:13 PM

howodd doesn't know whats he's talking about. there's ONE NINETY MINUTE presentation, thats it. no obligation. I was blown away by how beautiful this resort is, thats a screamin' deal!!! who knows maybe they'll really dig it and decide to buy in, time shares aren't a bad thing, I bought one at the melia in cabo back in the eighties and its one of of the best decisions I ever made!
tell em to book it!:yes:

[Edited on 6-10-2014 by willardguy]

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 05:20 PM

They could stay with me but I am lacking a swimming pool, a 24 hour bar and as far as the meals, they would have to like hamburgers and hot dogs. :biggrin:

Yes I spend a lot of time in Loreto but Villa del Mar is 1,000,000 miles away as far as I am concerned. Not my thing.

I was wondering if anyone actually has experienced this deal and how quick you can ditch the salespeople after the first presentation and you give them a polite but firm NO.

I was hoping someone has done this promotion or one like it to give first hand info.

George Bernard Shaw

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 05:56 PM

I did it. My wife brought me along so a "hairdresser friend's daughter" could get a commission for our listening to the lecture. We rode the bus . . . sat with what turned out to be our sales person. I said no thank you after about 40 minutes, and inquired if in fact the bar across the way is where I get my free margarita. It was a damn good one!

typoedit

[Edited on 6-10-2014 by bajacalifornian]

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Travelinleah
Junior Nomad

Mood: Waiting.....

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 03:52 PM

I did the timeshare tour in Sept 2013, it was quite pleasant, included free breakfast buffet and a few margaritas, they kept it low key and was done in 90 minutes. The setting is impressive, I did not mind at all the distance to town. Was lucky to get free airfare from a Facebook promotion, on Alaska from LAX to LTO. I would jump on this deal if I wasn't heading there for the winter and trying to save my Pesos! I did not do the all Inclusive so don't know about the free drink situation, but the food is very good, and staff friendly.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
howodd doesn't know whats he's talking about. there's ONE NINETY MINUTE presentation, thats it. no obligation. I was blown away by how beautiful this resort is, thats a screamin' deal!!! who knows maybe they'll really dig it and decide to buy in, time shares aren't a bad thing, I bought one at the melia in cabo back in the eighties and its one of of the best decisions I ever made!

It's only 90 minutes if you are absolutely firm and say no again, and again, and again.

Having been to time share presentation all over Mexico, I can tell you that it often extends out to three hours and more. I know what I'm talking about.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
They could stay with me but I am lacking a swimming pool, a 24 hour bar and as far as the meals, they would have to like hamburgers and hot dogs. :biggrin:

Yes I spend a lot of time in Loreto but Villa del Mar is 1,000,000 miles away as far as I am concerned. Not my thing.

I was wondering if anyone actually has experienced this deal and how quick you can ditch the salespeople after the first presentation and you give them a polite but firm NO.

I was hoping someone has done this promotion or one like it to give first hand info.

As has been mentioned, my name sake, if your friends are steadfast in their ability to say no, again and again, the property is quite magnificent, and they will have a great time.

That said, inasmuch as they are so far out of town, they would likely prefer to take the shuttle, or have a rental car so they don't have to pay the outrageous prices to eat there.
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 05:04 PM

All inclusive, drinks and meals.

"5 Days In A Luxury Upgraded 1 Bedroom Suite
Includes Unlimited Meals, Drinks & Alcohol
Rated As Loreto's #1 All Inclusive Resort "

George Bernard Shaw

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

It's only 90 minutes if you are absolutely firm and say no again, and again, and again.

Having been to time share presentation all over Mexico, I can tell you that it often extends out to three hours and more. I know what I'm talking about.
I don't think that you do! what part of travelinleah's report (who was there and attended the presentation) didn,t you understand? maybe timeshare sales people just see you as an easy mark?:?:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 05:11 PM

Quote:

:rolleyes: why would anyone actually take the time to READ the offer?:lol:
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 06:22 PM
Not at all Mexican resorts

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

My wife booked us for a week at the all inclusive Mayan Palace at Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) for less the $300/ week.
At check in they presented us with a $300 certificate good for anything not included in the all inclusive package such as golf, use of an indoor pool, unlimited drinks at all bars, spa services and a fancy restaurant. Sure enough the fine print stated that both husband and wife had to attend a time share presentation in order to validate the certificate.

I refused to go but my wife said she would go just for something to do. When she arrived at the conference center the guy at the door said she couldn't go in until I got there and she said that I wouldn't be coming. Then he asked for our room number and he called another guy over that was the sales rep for the section we were in. He told her that if she would meet him for a tour the next morning he would validate the certificate without her attending the presentation.

So she had a massage every day, we used the indoor pool every afternoon because of the wind and we drank as much as we wanted and had great dinners every night at the fancy restaurant. and used up the whole $300.

Bob Durrell
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 06:23 PM

:rolleyes: I don't get the whole "mooch" idea.

Why bother? It isn't really free, if something about it peees you off.....

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 07:08 PM

I make an annual trip to Mulege and thought I'd combine this with it. (Time share sales don't scare me.)

So I booked online for November and at the end I was instructed to call an 800 number within 15 minutes to confirm the reservation.

They explained that I was required to attend the "90" minute presentation the morning after arrival. (Okay with me) and gave an age restriction of something to 70. What does "BajaBill74" tell you about me? I didn't qualify.

I use this ID because next year I'll still be 74.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBill74
I make an annual trip to Mulege and thought I'd combine this with it. (Time share sales don't scare me.)

So I booked online for November and at the end I was instructed to call an 800 number within 15 minutes to confirm the reservation.

They explained that I was required to attend the "90" minute presentation the morning after arrival. (Okay with me) and gave an age restriction of something to 70. What does "BajaBill74" tell you about me? I didn't qualify.

I use this ID because next year I'll still be 74.
:lol: how many years since you needed a fake ID!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 04:59 PM

Quote:

It is a really great property.

The Villa Group makes really good places. If you want to get an idea of that go and walk into there Hotel Santa Fe right at the entrance to town by Salvatierra. Every time the Villa folks build a new time share resort, they also build an adjacent hotel that is designed to accommodate their people while construction is in progress, and to be able to hit other guests up for a time share presentation. The Santa Fe is just across the street from Domingo's Place. Just saying that if you want to get the feel for their infrastructure, check it out.

My only personal problem with this particular hotel is that is a 1/2 block away from a wonderful family owned hotel called Hacienda Suites, which must be hurting from the corporate competition.

They have built similar hotels all across Mexico where they have been developing their resorts. There is one in Cabo on one of the up streets above the main drag.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 04:49 PM

I am reminded that Villa Group is not alone with a white elephant in the realm of time shares. The parent company of Mayan Resorts (Mayan Palace, Etc.) Built a huge facility at Rocky Point several years ago. They have been scrambling to fill rooms there, let alone sell time share units.

There is no commercial air access to the town. They have, on occasion, offered free shuttle service from the Phoenix airport (weirdly called Sky Harbor), but fundamentally they must rely on drive in business.

The facility itself is stunning. But, in my opinion, the surrounding area is very arid looking and unappealing to me. Much as I feel about San Felipe. I know I have probably po'd a bunch of San Felipe fanatics. So be it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.