BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: easiest place for FMM? SI or Otay? Or Ensenada?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 09:39 AM
easiest place for FMM? SI or Otay? Or Ensenada?

I need to refresh my FMM. San Ysidro new crossing seems good but Ive only been thru once, early AM, no traffic.

Otay can be a pain...

3rd option: I think I heard on the forum recently that Ensenada has gotten more user friendly and has a new location downtown.

So, which would folks suggest? at Border, or Ensenada?

Thanks!

[Edited on 6-11-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 09:44 AM

If you`re driving,TJ is as easy as it can be.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 10:22 AM

They won't issue FMMs in Ensenada unless you came in on a boat. Of course, you can always tell them, but... just get it at San Ysidro, it's super easy and the bank is open 24/7 unlike Otay.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 10:50 AM

I just went throught this rigamaroll in Ensenada to help some Nomads get their FMM's that they didnt get crossing the border. Of course they said NO, you cant get your FMM in Ensenada unless you came by boat and they would have to go back to TJ...period.

AFter alot of humming and hawing...shifting weight...I said the last time I helped some people, the officer gave them a small fine and gave them the cards. He asked how many of them there were...there were 10 so I guess it made it worth his while.

So he amiably filled out their cards, they paid for them at the little bank there and then he said he needed to see their car so he went outside and proceeded to charge them the 56 peso each fine...in cash outside the office...not discreetly either...and with a nod and a grin they were on their way...so one CAN possibly get the FMM in the Immigration office by the port...on a good day!

So....best to get them at the border.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 11:38 AM

I got a new FMM at the TJ crossing last week. It took less than 10 minutes and was a piece of cake...

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 11:44 AM

Yep, new TJ crossing is super nice. I just asked the Mexican border officers where to park and they pointed me over to a parking lot. Walked in to the office, and the bank was right there. Super easy!

For future reference, I tried getting an FMM in Ensenada about 4 years ago and they issued us them, but we had to pay a fine for not getting them in TJ. The nearest bank was a few blocks away and was a pain.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 12:17 PM

I know this thread is about TJ and Otay, but for TKT crossers, it's a snap also. The hardest part is finding parking for a Big Rig if you're towing, but there is a parking lot half a block east of the border....

The Émigré office is first big building right inside the main walking gate, and right next to it (border side) is a small kiosk that is solely for paying for your FMM, making it also a very convenient way to get the thing done, and on your way. It opens at 8 a.m.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 12:26 PM

Discover Baja Travel and Vagabundos also have them in their San Diego offices. Buy car insurance, travel books, and get free advice! Tio
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 12:34 PM
Yeah, But....

Get them at the border, you have to stop there for the stamp anyway, save the extra "handling" fees.

Buy car insurance from Bajabound on line

DK has travel books

Plenty of "free" advice on the Nomads board

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Discover Baja Travel and Vagabundos also have them in their San Diego offices. Buy car insurance, travel books, and get free advice! Tio

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 12:58 PM

Thanks everyone!

I did Tecate FMM in January, agree parking is tough.
Did Otay last year- a bit of a walk to bank, back to office etc.

So I look forward to the new SI process.

As for other recommendations:
Insurance: check
Discover Baja member: check
Travel/reading books/maps/Almanac: check

But getting the truck set up for 3 weeks of Baja summer fun vs. winter w/whales...in process.

This is my first summer trip with the truck, and the seasonal transition has been the slow part of this process. It's been a challenge to imagine what I will need/want for camping and kayaking on sandy beaches near coral reefs, vs. on cold windy lagoons with whales blowing offshore.

I'm even taking a hammock!

Hopefully all the planning will be worthwhile once I get outta town for the rest of June...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 01:19 PM

Don't count on seeing any grey whales. You may get lucky and see some blue whales, really lucky and get to see some orcas.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 02:10 PM

now that the new immigration offices in ensenada are 10 times the size of the old one at the port it wouldn't surprise me to see them start offering tourist cards. why not?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 02:38 PM

Thanks Udo- I did the gray whales/bundle up/cold Pacific in Jan-April. This is a snorkel/coral reef/kayak trip/sunblock to East Cape.

Would love to see a whale shark- that would be a kick!

Anyone see them around yet? Or is it too early in the year for them?

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Don't count on seeing any grey whales. You may get lucky and see some blue whales, really lucky and get to see some orcas.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 02:40 PM

That's what I thought.

I'll check out the office later this summer. For this trip I'll stick with SI.

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
now that the new immigration offices in ensenada are 10 times the size of the old one at the port it wouldn't surprise me to see them start offering tourist cards. why not?

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 03:08 PM

http://www.buysafesea.com/

Wife swims in the ocean most everyday. When there are 'agua malas' we slather on this stuff. Came in handy one October at Agua Verde. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 03:37 PM

years ago I got mine in Ensenada too but the guy was not happy about it....the walk to the bank is not convenient. bad idea all around.

TJ is easy.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 04:11 PM

they now have the bank right in the Immigration Office at the Port.

Have a wonderful summer trip Lori...watch out for stingrays. There were whale sharks at Coyote Bay near Mulege...ask the pangeros...they will know.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:06 PM

The new facility at San Ysidro is definitely a piece of cake. My only complaint is that you have to park a considerable distance from the building.

That said, the last two times we have obtained our FMM forms there, the IMM officer was able to handle the cash transaction saving us a trip to the bank. However, the bank is in the same building.

In any event, The SY port of entry is absolutely the way to go if you need to get your FMM.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:14 PM

Quote:

Where is the new office in Ensenada - same place as the old one?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:

Where is the new office in Ensenada - same place as the old one?
no, not even close, its on lopez mateos (think Desert Inn) but a half dozen blocks south, across from a pemex. not close to the ocean.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.