BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: RESOlLVED NOW. Back to normal, previous....another nail in the tourism coffin...bancomer no longer allowing foreign ATM...
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 03:50 PM
RESOlLVED NOW. Back to normal, previous....another nail in the tourism coffin...bancomer no longer allowing foreign ATM withdrawals

"As of today, Bancomer will not be accepting any credit cards or debit cards from the United States or Canada. To obtain money you will need to use your Bancomer card. The bank stated that they will not accept any other Mexican bank card ..... only Bancomer. This may be a temporary restriction. If you have any questions, please contact Bancomer."

announcement today on Loreto Community Group.
since changing US dollars became almost impossible in Loreto, and Banamex left town...I have no idea how many of us, without Bancomer (the only bank in Loreto now) accounts and dependent on ATMs, will obtain pesos.
am sure that this will significantly impart other communities, too.

hopefully this is temporary insanity...

[Edited on 6-12-2014 by rhintransit]

[Edited on 6-12-2014 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 03:53 PM

Screw BANCOMER. While other banks here charge 25 Ps to use their machine, Bancomer charges 85.
So does Banorte. I think Slim owns that one. Screw him too.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 03:54 PM

just heard on another group that this is a temporary problem, hope it's just local, but who knows...

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Screw BANCOMER. While other banks here charge 25 Ps to use their machine, Bancomer charges 85.
So does Banorte. I think Slim owns that one. Screw him too.

Carlos Slim is not involved with Banorte.. Bancomer is the only remaining branch in Loreto, but this is tied to the new Federal regulations coming out of Washington DC for expats...
"The cards are dropping"..first Banamex..now Bancomer...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta

Carlos Slim is not involved with Banorte..

Screw him anyway. I don't like my internet service or the hoops they make you jump through when their cheap Chinese modems quit, which is occasionally.
I just don't like monopolies.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:06 PM

Wow, big problems for tourists! And local businesses, too.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:07 PM

Great....
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:12 PM
Banamex transfers

I talked to a international banking representative from Citibank yesterday.

Concerns were about Citi cutting ties with Banamex and no more international transfers.

This representative told me there is no plan to cut ties with Banamex as recently reported.

Transfers from Citi are good to go for accounts held by the same person.

No longer will transfers be made to anyone, other than the owner of the Banamex account.

Joe cannot transfer money from Citi to a payee at Banamex named Julio, either to his account or at the teller window.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:13 PM

so how far do you have to go to get peso's?
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
so how far do you have to go to get peso's?

Three blocks

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:22 PM

What does that have to do with Bancomer?

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:31 PM

Hmmm....banks sure make alot of changes...awhile back I was told at Bancomer that you couldnt deposit US Dollars into our peso accounts anymore...had to open a dollar account...so I did. Now once again, you can deposit dollars to peso accounts...sheesh!

I cant imagine that this is true for the long term...maybe just a glitch. I guess I will be seeing more action at the Bank of Bondy...hahahaha. I have been known to work a deal with our guests and friends...they paypal me money and I give em cash...when I have it.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali

Concerns were about Citi cutting ties with Banamex and no more international transfers.

This representative told me there is no plan to cut ties with Banamex as recently reported.

No longer will transfers be made to anyone, other than the owner of the Banamex account.

Joe cannot transfer money from Citi to a payee at Banamex named Julio, either to his account or at the teller window.

This maybe correct for simple transfers from a Citibank to a Banamex account.

I just completed a wire transfer from my Citibank to the Banamex account of my Mexican contractor in La Paz. No problem at all, charges were $26.00 for the international wire transfer. Got off the phone with Citibank this moment, and they verified the transaction.

Karl

[Edited on 6-12-2014 by Fernweh]
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
What does that have to do with Bancomer?

They both start with a "B"...both are banks and they are in our neck of the desert.
Can you live with that?

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernweh
Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali

This maybe correct for simple transfers from a Citibank to a Banamex account.

[Edited on 6-12-2014 by Fernweh]

Your right....wire transfers are a whole different deal.
I was referring to fee free transfers from my Citi to my Banamex.
At any rate, I am glad you got the money sent successfully.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 06:26 PM

As all 'quick' decisions in Mexico, I'll bet it will only take a few weeks of havoc on the economy and everything will revert back to normal (whatever the hell that is). For the last decade it was made difficult to trade cash for pesos, and the ATM kiosks have sustained and even enlightened Baja economy. Once the $$'s stop coming in, the howling starts, and the banks will give in. They can't afford NOT to have ATM services for the gringo tourism; it'll break the entire economy, and the pesos we take from those machines go into local economy directly, and are deposited by the Jefes of local business; we'll see what's up by the first of October and the fecal material strikes the rotary oscillator.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 06:46 PM

In a practical sense: How will this effect use of ATM's by us touristas?

Are Banamex ATMs also refusing US debit cards? Which banks are still accepting them??

If needed, I will plan on carrying lots of dollars and pesos instead of using ATMs along the way...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
"As of today, Bancomer will not be accepting any credit cards or debit cards from the United States or Canada. To obtain money you will need to use your Bancomer card. The bank stated that they will not accept any other Mexican bank card ..... only Bancomer. This may be a temporary restriction. If you have any questions, please contact Bancomer."

This happened in Mulege about 10 days ago. We asked the manager and he said things would be back to normal the next day and they were. USA cards worked.
Today there was a Banamex trailer by the mission, soliciting new accounts. Maybe we will have 2 banks in Mulege.

[Edited on 6-12-2014 by willyAirstream]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
In a practical sense: How will this effect use of ATM's by us touristas?

Are Banamex ATMs also refusing US debit cards? Which banks are still accepting them??

No.....I just yanked pesos out of a Banamex ATM machine today using a US bank card.

susaninlapaz
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta

Carlos Slim is not involved with Banorte..

Screw him anyway. I don't like my internet service or the hoops they make you jump through when their cheap Chinese modems quit, which is occasionally.
I just don't like monopolies.

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA! not sure how giving him your dough equals screwing him--he prolly feels bad about your perspective all the way to the bank...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.