Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 09:33 PM

What a day, I ran the ipad battery down completely, I took over 100 photos. I even had to open up another photobucket account. Here is just a glimpse of this wonderful day.

BREAKFAST WAS AT THE CASA ROSADA HOTEL. BEAUTIFUL.

Here is a pic of a most unusual house:

the ladies on the left:

the ladies on the right:

AND MY FAVORITE, THE TOP

I WENT TO CHECK OUT THE ALLENDE MUSEUM. IT IS REALLY AMAZING SINCE IT SITS AND HAS ALWAYS SAT, IN FRONT OF THE GOTHIC CHURCH:

THE VIEW FROM THE FRONT DOOR

INSIDE

NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE PHOTOS OF THE ROOMS,WOULD NOT WANT TO SPOIL IT ANYWAYS:

THIS MORNING WAS SPENT AT THE BOTANICAL GARDEN. PROBABLY MY FAVORITE PART OF THE DAY!

I WENT TO THE CRAFT MARKET,HUGE, WHICH IS LITERALLY NEXT DOOR TO THE QUINTA LORETO

FOR A REAL CHANGE OF PACE, WE DECIDED TO SPLURGE AND WENT TO THE ROOFTOP OF THE 5 STAR ROSEWOOD HOTEL. IT IS SIMPLE ELEGANCE AND THE VIEW....SEE FOR YOURSELF:

NOTICE THE BAJA STYLE LOBSTER!

AT SOME POINT DURING THE DAY WE WALKED BY THESE ADS:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 10:13 PM

and that folks, wraps it up for San Miguel de Allende. The very end of the day was spent meeting up with the soulpatch family, a very interesting encounter since he knows my sister and her husband so well! He also studied Portuguese for a day with my best Brazilian friend in San Diego.

Tomorrow we head for Taxco and I heard today from a New Zealander that she has gone there five times since she loves it so much. Music to my ears.

To end this portion of the trip, I want to post some of my favorite random pictures:

This is a very popular door knocker and we found one for La Bocana!

What do you suppose she is thinking about?

rooftop garden

notice how Mexico is spelled, which explains the pronunciation in Spanish Meh he co:

this cactus is called the creeping devil and I would love to have one! Native to Mexico:

odd, odd, odd

Where the heck is MOM ????? but isn't she just the cutest?

found this in a VERY expensive Mata Ortiz store....

lizards

snakes

This is a mockup of the Atotonilco church we went to:

love the design on these doors, surely Moorish influence:

father and son, dad sells the crafts that his son makes:

this was something else! My lemonade had a frozen lemon in the ice at the ROSEWOOD HOTEL

NOTICE HOW THE TREES ARE ALL GROWING TOGETHER

THIS IS THE GARDEN IN FRONT OF THE QUINTA LORETO....BIRDS SING ALL DAY LONG AND IT IS INSPIRATIONAL TO WAKE UP TO

HASTA TAXCO EVERYONE!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 10:49 PM

Awesome! What a great job taking these pictures and a wonderful trip report!
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 07:44 AM

SO enjoying your travel pics, Blanca. Thanks for taking us along!
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 08:27 AM

WOW! This is an insanely gorgeous town! Blanca, you have a good eye for capturing snippets of just about everything to give us a broad sense of this place! I too, am so enjoying your reports, your pics are breathtaking!

Can't wait to see what's next!

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbup.gif posted on 7-2-2014 at 11:27 AM

Blanca-

You have taken quality photos of one of the most beautiful places in the world. You should get them printed into a book and write captions or extended text. If you could go back and live there for a month you would have many more wonderful stories. Onward!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 05:11 PM

Thanks all, I really loved being in San Miguel and I hoped the love came through in the photos and it did!

The charm is instantaneous but some of the joy is in pure luck. We met some folks from New Zealand who stayed the first 3 nights (they had prepaid) in a hotel with motorcyles revving engines all night long, all 3 nights. They were about our age and said they had not slept in 3 days. They looked horrible. Happy as clams about moving over to the Quinta Loreto.When Les met up with them the next morning, both of us refreshed and raring to go about the day, the lady asks Les if he heard the phone ringing all night. Again, they had not slept. We heard not a thing BUT, I have a system. We try to have background noise -a fan, an A/C - and that way if someone walks down the hall or a phone rings, chances are you will not hear it!

So, we were lucky. It was absolutely magic.

Come visit La Bocana

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 05:32 PM

Still loving your photos, and so much looking forward to Taxco-- another place I hope to see some day!
churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 08:24 PM

Love the photos! Please keep 'em coming!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 08:53 PM

Blanca, if you love the Mato Ortiz pottery as we do --- plan a trip to that village. Love our collection!

Soon, soon, we may head south on the mainland again. Meantime, we are loving your impressions.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 09:41 PM

Diane, we do have a mini collection of the all black pottery from there that we bought in Creel. It is really beautiful.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 09:45 PM

Another thought I think is important to share - many told us that San Miguel would be outrageously expensive and we did not find it to be true. Obviously, if you go to a posh restaurant, you pay posh prices. But there are plenty of good eateries at reasonable prices, there are plenty of arts and crafts that anyone can afford. Houses - pretty and well located ones - rent for $500.

So, all in all, SMA has many plusses and while at some point it may have been expensive, it ain't now.

Come visit La Bocana

mmacdonald1026

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 01:38 AM

When I look for a home in the center, where you, Bianca, said you stayed where you can walk everywhere, what is that called? I am confused by if its the center of Guanacoate or San Miguel de Allende?? There are so many vicinities when looking on craigslist, vrbo.com, and airbnb.com etc. I just want to get in the right neighborhood. I heard you can get lost on foot there and may never re-find a cute little tavern you had a great meal in ever again because there are so many different eateries etc. And are we Gringos allowed to take courses in the Universities there, even if only a language class? Is there a special street or interesection that would be your preferred place to live there?

Michelle
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 06:33 AM

Hi mm. We never went to guanajuato, we only went to san Miguel de Allende. I am sure you can take any class, anywhere! One of the universities is geared towards foreigners. If you have any sense of direction, you will be fine. I am notoriously without any sense of direction and the buildings are so distinctive that they guide you. The center is the area around CALLE HIDALGO if you can look at a map.

If you come and rent, you will easily find a rental. Perhaps more easily than by internet. You will get a better feel for what area feels right to you....they are different depending what street you are on. The whole town is walkable. The whole town is beautiful. Parts are noisier, you would not want to live on Calle Hidalgo. Too noisy.

And Mexico is Mexico - pay up and move in. Gotta love it!

Come visit La Bocana

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 11:08 AM

Outstanding series Blanca.....one of the jewels of Mexico and you captured it so very well. Thank you for sharing this outstanding travel log. There are so many Mexico's!

My twin brother and his wife live in San Miguel and they will soon be selling their home....at some point I will post a link...San Miguel is definitely a town where you can get your cappuccino in the morning!

Abrazos Forte Blanca
mmacdonald1026

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 05:52 AM

Yes indeed, look for a home upon arrival, not prior to. I defied the advice I was given to just that when moving into Rosarito. Sure enough, I am overpaying by a solid $300 per month, which I am stumbling over because everything else is pretty close to the cost of living in San Diego, believe it or not. Even though I like to have a home secured before I travel, I will for sure go into my discomfort zone to end up with more comfort this next move, as soon as my 5 more months committment expires. Are the gorgeous homes on vrbo and airbnb in SMDAllende for real? I mean, are they really as amazing as the photo's depict? Sometime's I wonder if there could be more beauty in one place than the images you encaptured...Thank you for your advise. It was heard. I have taken the cotton out of my ears.

Michelle
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 04:09 PM

Boy, sounds like a bad siztuation. Why not try to sublet til the 5 months are over? Or talk to the owners and ask permission to find a new renter?

I am glad you understand the get a feel for a place and then rent idea. The neat thing about San Miguel is that I believe I saw someone who can run errands for a fee. This is great to have as a backup if you get ill or even as a regular event should you decide to live far from a supermarket.

Please make sure to let us know how you fare once you move there. I would be very interested!

Come visit La Bocana

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 07:35 PM

After just returning from an Alaskan cruise I can tell you there's more bang for the buck in Mexico! I'm jealous. All I did was eat a ton of average food and get no exercise. Looks like you've done more than that!

Really enjoyed reading this, after finally getting home and having wifi.

Thanks, and say Hi to Les for us.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 11:11 AM

Ohhhhh Ateo, your Alaska pics were stunning. That is such another universe there and one day I hope to see it.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2014 at 09:19 AM

Still dreaming about San Miguel .....

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.