Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Serenidad Stories.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 09:03 AM
Serenidad Stories.

Bajabudda said it. Just about everyone has a Serenidad story.
I remember the first time I walked thru the gate into the courtyard after driving down from Bay of LA. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
About 1990, about eight of us in three trucks had driven to BofLA to fish. The year before had been my first trip, and I had gone down with a SeaBee dive team to fish BOLA. This year the fishing was lousy, and after coming in the first day, with almost nothing, we took a vote, packed up and drove, hell bent for leather for Mulege.
There had been some stories in Western Outdoor News about the great Dorado fishing, and the Serenidad Hotel, down at a place called Mule Gee. We pulled into town just around dusk, and asked around and found our way to the Hotel. Driving down to it we were skeptical as to what could be at the end of this potholed puddled road that would be worth our while. Well---we found it. Paradise in the desert. Beautiful tiled patio, pool, swim up bar, and a big triple room place waaaay out back for eight loud crazy guys. Fishing was great, the pool refreshing, the restaurant was wonderful, and the margaritas kicked your ass. What more could you want.
I sure hope someone revives the ol gal, and buenos swerte to the Johnsons who would make you feel like you were old friends. I'll never forget it.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 09:27 AM

I remember one evening sitting in the bar, which was packed with a large group of dentists who were doing a Flying Sams clinic. The power went out and all of a sudden everything went dark. That is until the dentists all put on their headlamps. Things got very psychedelic for about 45 minutes 😀😀

carpe diem!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 09:27 AM

My first family nite in Mulege was spent in a tent outside the back wall (now a home). Don ran a garden hose over the wall so we ,me, wife and 2 lil kids ,could have water. That was almost 40 years ago. So many good memories over the elapsed times .

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 10:31 AM

A few years back my two brothers and I stayed at the serenidad. While waiting for my margarita I went to the mens room and while in there the lights went out. I had to feel along the wall to find the door. Everything was dark as I carefully found my way back to our table. Lights came back on after several minutes. In our room the lights would come and go so my oldest brother went to the fuse/breaker box and tightened all the wiring, problem fixed. Everything had been flooded from a storm and the wiring had gotten loose.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 01:50 PM

With no money and after a week of beach camping. We would go to the bar for a beer and then sneak in to the showers for a hot shower. And dream of the day when we could afford to stay there. Years later we did and loved it.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 02:49 PM

I always wanted to stay there but It would be too late at night or early in the morning when I would pass by on my way to the East Cape.

One time we were going to stay at Mulege to fish. We arrived early with
great expectations of being present for the pig roast. As luck would have it
they had a fire that took out the kitchen and a room or two. How the place did not totally burn down is beyond me as the roof were palm thatch.
The group opted for less smoky habitations in Loreto
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 03:19 PM

I remember my parents talking about meeting Don Johnson on our trip in 1966 (he was or would be the U.S. Consul or sub-consul in Mulege), and discovering he used to live down the block from them in L.A. (before I was born).

See photo of Don with Larry Hahn (BajaDreams.com) and Capt. Francisco Muņoz at the Hotel Serenidad 40th birthday party: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=31396#pid3198...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 03:50 PM

Ya gotta read Lou ???? Book "One hell of a ride" to appreciate what Don Johnson, Jorge Yee, Saul Davis, and Lou contributed to the region. The guts, creativity and sheer audacity of those guys....David, help me out here with Lou's last name...

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 04:51 PM

Well, I'm not David, even though I respect him a lot, but the guys name was Lou Federico, and his book was called, "One Hell of a Ride".

You are right, even though a few have suggested that some of the tales may be a little far fetched or stretched. I think Lou Federico, Don Johnson, Lyle Alvarado, Jimmy Smith, were some real modern day heroes who had a real impact on what we know as Baja.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Ya gotta read Lou ???? Book "One hell of a ride" to appreciate what Don Johnson, Jorge Yee, Saul Davis, and Lou contributed to the region. The guts, creativity and sheer audacity of those guys....David, help me out here with Lou's last name...

Lou Federico
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 04:56 PM

Thanks guys...

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 05:41 PM

When we stayed there we quickly learned that you need to get a room far from the pool, which is noisy very late
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
When we stayed there we quickly learned that you need to get a room far from the pool, which is noisy very late

That's only if you don't like margaritas, go to bed at Baja Midnight (7:00 p.m.) or have kids. ( I KID, i'd want a room away from the pool now too....)
:lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 06:20 PM

We had some very relaxing times at the place over the years. After camping on the beach for 3-4-5 days it was always nice to hit the pool, have a margarita or three and if it was Saturday it was PIG out time. The very first time we stayed there I was rudely awakened in the early AM by 'someone' trying to break into our room from the roof. Peac-cks are nice when they are on the ground strutting, not so much when they are on the skylight in the bathroom scratching! ;D

Hope to stay there again sometime.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 04:33 PM

Quote:

That we got it straight: Lou Federico was the greatest idiot ever allowed to set his feet on Baja soil.
Overall a loser. Everywhere he went, he was chased off or jailed
When he ran out of options on Baja soil he wanted to enter an island in the pacific far south of CSL. And the first thing he did was shooting the goats on that island. He did it from the boat before landing. What an idiot!
Don Johnson was a nobody when he came to Mulege. A handout.
He quickly was engaged w/ a nice Mexican girl to get settled. But dumped her when he met Nancy with more money. @ that time Nancy's father was the tax collector in Mulege. Does that ring a bell?
Then Johnson followed Lou Federico in his footsteps to keep himself from drowning financially.
There are lots of Serenidad stories, of course.....................
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 05:08 PM

JC43 is the biggest loser, seems to think his initials give him the right to slander and insult people. I truly hope this POS moves to Mulege.

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 05:36 PM

I think we're being trolled...
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 05:49 PM

Another fond Serenidad memory was flying in to the strip on Screaming Airlines while 'chasing' the Baja 1000. Heading south we landed for a 'pit stop' run into town for tacos and then headed down to La Paz to watch the finish then back up the next day for some quality time at the bar / pool. Hand squeezed big ass margaritas and some tasty grub followed by a folklorico show. Good times for sure.

Viva Hotel Serenidad! :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 06:12 PM

Don't forget the belly dancers off the BIG boat, that showed up once in a while!

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
JC43 is the biggest loser, seems to think his initials give him the right to slander and insult people. I truly hope this POS moves to Mulege.

So do I
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.