BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: I am officially SENTRIfied... card has been activated...
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 05:09 PM
I am officially SENTRIfied... card has been activated...

I know others have had, well, challenges with SENTRI, but here's how my morning went:

Had interview today- checked in right on time, appointments were going smoothly early in the day. Lady at check-in desk reviewed paperwork and suggested I add Global Entry for air travel - free of charge, so did that also.

Agent came out right away, we went back for a chat and fingerprint scan a few minutes later, I paid the fee and had both cars inspected (very grateful for a friend who drove 2nd vehicle down with me), including truck w/Callen shell on back: both approved in short order.

Checked in: 945 am. All done: 10:30. Amazing!

Didn't realize what a relief it is to have that done until I got the email notice that all is approved.

It only took about 2 months for a renewal- I submitted application Information May 2, got notice letter June 16, and made appointment ASAP.

Wow- 2 months and a few days... Is that normal? Or maybe because I had been in system before?

Now- just waiting for new card to arrive- they said 7-10 days, and then... I get to relax and enjoy the ride again, instead of dreading hitting the wall. Those unpredictable wait times get old...

Realized later I forgot to ask:
- what's the rule on non-SENTRI passengers? Do they still have to be dropped off and walk across vs. ride in vehicle if they are not in the program?

- can SENTRI-approved folks ride along in any SENTRI-approved car?

- any special restrictions on pets?

- could someone remind me how to enter the TJ SENTRI lanes? I seem to recall seeing notices re:confusing or no signs and construction lately. Has that improved? Or is Otay a better choice?

- Any other SENTRI tips from experienced folks are much appreciated!

Looking forward to returning to a SENTRIfied lifestyle!

[Edited on 7-14-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 05:21 PM

NON-SETRI passengers are a NO-NO. Yep, drop them off and have them walk across.

Yes, I believe any SENTRI person can cross with any SENTRI approved person in a SENTRI approved vehicle.

No pet restrictions that I'm aware of.

San Ysidro SENTRI directions have been updated and are posted somewhere here. Maybe try a search or go to Bajabound website for video directions.

Have fun!

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 05:43 PM

My parents have Sentri and we ride in each others Sentri approved vehicles all the time.

Technically you are not supposed to be 'dropping off' anybody and we were told if they see you doing that it is a big no-no. Also you should only have your own possessions in your vehicle or those of a Sentri approved passenger.

If we were going to have passengers walk across we would elect to go to Otay and have them exit the vehicle just before the Sentri road turns back to where an agent might be able to see you. Of course we would never break the rules (are you listening NSA?). I will note that when we have been in line at Otay we have seen many folks pull up close to the border and let people out and continue driving across.

Getting to Sentri in SY is easy peasy and it is well marked with signs. Basically have to get your self to Padre Kino and then its a straight shot. :dudette:

My bro in law came home today and had a ten minute Sentri wait at SY and then had to wait 1:45 minutes for his friends to walk across :mad::lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 07:22 PM

Thank you Ateo and Gato- I appreciate your help.

I didn't realize you could not drop someone to walk across. What's the problem with that?

I was once criticized by an agent for picking someone up at the SENTRI parking lot who had walked across. But He had a leg injury so I guess they took pity on us.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista

I didn't realize you could not drop someone to walk across. What's the problem with that?

I think they're worried the NON SENTRI person could be smuggling drugs in your car without your knowledge and just getting out and bailing? Or they just wanna make sure that your vehicle has only been occupied in the most recent history by a SENTRI approved person. Who knows?!?

DocRey
Nomad

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 07:59 PM

When your new card comes in... make sure you ACTIVATE it on-line!
I could have sworn I did. After several trips across I was sent to secondary because my card wasn't activated! When I tried to re-activate it, I was unable to because my time to activate it had expired.
Still just a big mess for me. I'll eventually take of it, someday.:?:
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 07:44 AM

Here's a link to one way to get to SENTRI lanes:
http://bajadock.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/san-ysidro-sentri-c...

However, I've found it easier to just go the same way I always did and do a U-turn into the SENTRI. Its illegal but there isn't anyone ever there, and if there is, you just do the round about at Kino.

It is much easier to access then previously IMO. Also much longer lanes so if/when it gets overloaded you don't have to circle in TJ (which I somehow always get lost in somehow).

Seems like they are being much faster with approvals now. 2 months sounds about right from a few friends recent experiences. Of course it took me 6-7 months from application to interview, about 3 years ago! :/
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 09:18 AM

Welcome to the Sentri club!

Keep in mind that the rules are rules but the BPO can interpret them as they wish so be prepared and always be polite and friendly. Sntri is considered a privilege and can be revoked at their whim.

Pets: they can ask for the immunization records so keep them with you.

Passengers: make sure your non-sentri passengers take their luggage with them. you cannot cross with other people's belongings.

Secondary: you will get passed to secondary quickly for your first inspection after you get sentri then likely every 3 months with random inspections thrown in. Keep your registration, insurance and license ready. As with all inspections and stops by officials, in the appropriate area, turn off your engine and place your keys on top of the dash and place your hands with fingers visible on top of the steering wheel until the officer approaches the vehicle. provide the docs when asked for and not until then. The keys and the hands is a professional courtesy and shows them that you are aware of the dangers of being an officer and they in turn will provide you a speedy inspection and let you be on your way.;)

Make it a Great Day!!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 11:26 AM

When approaching the CBP booth, take off your sunglasses and turn your vehicle radio off.........it makes life easier

Quote:
Originally posted by Genecag
Welcome to the Sentri club!

Keep in mind that the rules are rules but the BPO can interpret them as they wish so be prepared and always be polite and friendly. Sntri is considered a privilege and can be revoked at their whim.

Pets: they can ask for the immunization records so keep them with you.

Passengers: make sure your non-sentri passengers take their luggage with them. you cannot cross with other people's belongings.

Secondary: you will get passed to secondary quickly for your first inspection after you get sentri then likely every 3 months with random inspections thrown in. Keep your registration, insurance and license ready. As with all inspections and stops by officials, in the appropriate area, turn off your engine and place your keys on top of the dash and place your hands with fingers visible on top of the steering wheel until the officer approaches the vehicle. provide the docs when asked for and not until then. The keys and the hands is a professional courtesy and shows them that you are aware of the dangers of being an officer and they in turn will provide you a speedy inspection and let you be on your way.;)

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 11:36 AM

thanks for the additional tips/directions.

I got in the habit of removing sunglasses for the MX stops while driving to/from east cape last month- will continue it going forward w/Sentri.

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
- what's the rule on non-SENTRI passengers? Do they still have to be dropped off and walk across vs. ride in vehicle if they are not in the program?

They cannot come with you unless they are a trusted traveler. (Global Entry is okay, so is NEXUS, besides SENTRI.)

Quote:
- can SENTRI-approved folks ride along in any SENTRI-approved car?

Yes.

Quote:
- any special restrictions on pets?

None other than the usual proof of vaccination.

Quote:
- could someone remind me how to enter the TJ SENTRI lanes? I seem to recall seeing notices re:confusing or no signs and construction lately. Has that improved? Or is Otay a better choice?

It's easiest from 10th/Juan Sarabia/Independencia. Head east over the river, go straight through all the traffic circles until the last one, then left on Padre Kino. Follow signs.

Otay is always easier for me, especially if I'm coming from Rosarito or anywhere south.

Quote:
- Any other SENTRI tips from experienced folks are much appreciated!

Always declare absolutely everything you have, even "dirty laundry in my suitcase". Better to over-declare, though if they're in a hurry they'll usually cut you off with "OK, you're good to go." (Stop talking at that point.)

Passenger drop-off for SY is at the van turnaround near Av. Ferrocarril and Av. Frontera, just east of the bridge over the northbound lanes. They'll walk down the steps to the pedestrian line.

Passenger drop-off for Otay is on Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz. If you look on Google Maps you'll see a cutover where the two roads join, just south of the border. That's where all the taxis drop off, and it's a much shorter, easier walk through for your passengers. Depending on line length, you can either cut over at that point, or head back down S.J.I.d.l.C. and make a funky right-hand U-turn to join the SENTRI line from Bellas Artes (i.e., the car wash).

The issue they have with passenger drop-off has nothing to do with needing to see you not have people with you. According to the FSO I talked to about it one day when he was chatty, it's because then you cut back into line and disrupt the flow of traffic.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 05:37 PM

Great Information -thanks uber.

Anyone know if there are dedicated SENTRI lines for pedestrians? If I ever need to walk over, can I use my SENTRI inside where they check, as well as in outside lanes?

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Great Information -thanks uber.

Anyone know if there are dedicated SENTRI lines for pedestrians? If I ever need to walk over, can I use my SENTRI inside where they check, as well as in outside lanes?

In SY, the pedestiran SENTRI line is on the far right. There's a sort of rope line the separates SENTRI and Ready Lane from the regular line, until you approach the front, then Ready Lane and SENTRI split into two separate lanes. Just stay in the far right lane. It's well marked as you approach the building.

At OTAY, the SENTRI line is the middle lane (at least the last time I crossed) and Ready Lane in on the far left.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 06:55 PM

Yes you can use your sentry inside.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 06:13 AM

What they said. You'll need to sort of push your way past people at SY, but there's never, ever a line for SENTRI pedestrian. The longest I've ever had SENTRI be for a pedestrian is 3 people.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2014 at 12:18 PM

The mail arrived today and 1 week after the interview/car inspection I now have my newest SENTRI card (and it has been activated).

I went to the travel wallet to sort it all out and came up with quite a collection of federal paper and plastic identifying paraphernalia:

Passports (1 current, 2 expired)
Passport card (1, no priors)
SENTRI cards (1 current, 2 expired)

So- time for reading up on which works where, when, and how...

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 10:10 AM

Expired things work nowhere at all.

WALKING

SENTRI: Works in SENTRI lanes, Ready Lanes and regular lanes.

Passport card: Works in Ready Lanes and regular lanes.

Passport book: Works in regular lanes.

DRIVING

SENTRI: Works in SENTRI lanes and in US-bound (but not Canada-bound) NEXUS lanes, Ready Lanes, and regular lanes.

Passport card: works in Ready Lanes and regular lanes.

Passport book: works in regular lanes.

BOATING

SENTRI: no benefit (no SENTRI lanes at marine inspections)

Passport card: Works when coming back from Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean

Passport book: Works anywhere.

FLYING

SENTRI: no benefit (though membership gives you Global Entry access, you still need your passport book with you). Also gives you access to TSA Pre-Check if you remember to put your PASSID in the airline reservation at least 3 days in advance.

Passport Card: not valid

Passport Book: valid.

[Edited on 7-15-2014 by dasubergeek]
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Expired things work nowhere at all.

Actually, an expired passport is a valid proof of US birth. That would work in the regular lanes...

Proof Documents for U.S. Citizenship and Identity
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 11:28 AM

CBP cannot deny an American citizen entrance to the United States. That doesn't mean an expired passport is a good idea, especially since Whale-ista has a valid one, which they will know about as soon as they look at the record for the old passport. (Expired passports have holes punched in the ID page.)
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 11:30 AM

I was told by a state department official that one of the reasons they punch holes in them and give them back to you is exactly for that purpose - even expired they are a legal form of proving US birth...

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.