BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Ideal camping trailor for Baja!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 09:35 AM
Ideal camping trailor for Baja!

A friend sent me this today. This would be a great setup for you off-road campers out there. Amazing design... The UEV 440 trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxvfDTaUVAo

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 10:35 AM

very cool indeed! especially the fold-able solar panels :yes:
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 10:52 AM

Superb! I haven't followed up on a trip to their web site. Do you know if these are imported to the U.S. yet?

That trailer is a HUGE improvement over the Conqueror (South Africa) we purchased in '99. I believe we had the second one in the states. Purchased it from Stephen Goetz who was importing them. We bought it right off the floor at the Off-Road Expo with the stipulation that I would tow it to two shows with Goetz (SEMA and another smaller one) to use for demos.

Ours had a rooftop tent that was a bit difficult to erect, plus the ladder to access was problematic—not to mention the difficulty of middle-of-the-night visits to the bush.

We sold that one to a friend in Santa Barbara (it recently re-sold at the estate sale of our friend after his death) and purchased another off-road trailer from Adventure Trailer. This was before they moved their business to Prescott AZ.

We liked that trailer. We towed it many places in Baja. But, once again, the rooftop tent proved to be problematic, although much easier to erect.

This Conqueror Australia just might be the ticket. I'll bet it's pricey. Heck, our Adventure Trailer cost $15K and that was several years ago.

I feel the urge to follow up on this Aussie version.

Thanks for posting.

Allen R.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 10:56 AM

Some cleaver concepts incorporated .... thanks

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 03:36 PM

This is really cool! I would love one of these. Wonder what the cost is and when/if they are bringing them to the US?
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 04:31 PM

They mention the cost near the end of the video, $58,000. I assume that is in Australian dollars, so add about 10% We just bought an E-2 off-road trailer Fleetwood Fleetwood which seems to be much more cost effective (although not quite in the same class), and it has an indoor toilet!

Sorry, that was not the video that mentioned the price. Here is the one with the price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpauUSmtJmA&feature=share

[Edited on 7-9-2014 by ncampion]
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 04:58 PM

Well, it's certainly cool but not that $cool.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 05:02 PM

Yeah I was all stoked on building an offroad trailer, then I realized I don't think it would be all that fun to get stuck in mud, have to make 3 point turns, etc etc etc with one of those things attached.

Still think a 4wheel pop up camper is superior...
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 05:44 PM

The brochure at the web site - in PDF format says the economical model is 49,990 Austrailian $ and the loaded model is 66,990 Austrailian $.

So the economical model is 47,000 not including delivery.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 06:25 PM

According to the current currency conversion, $50,000 Australian is about $47,000 US. You get what you pay for I guess.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 09:45 PM

Way Cool. BTW I have a 12.5 ft Porta Bote that was on the truck roof. My paddling days are over.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 11:22 PM

I had a hard time with 'trellar'.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Yeah I was all stoked on building an offroad trailer, then I realized I don't think it would be all that fun to get stuck in mud, have to make 3 point turns, etc etc etc with one of those things attached.

Still think a 4wheel pop up camper is superior...

We've had both off road trailers (the ones I mentioned above) and a 4WD camper (Flip Pac).

Although I pulled those trailers into some really serious off road situations all the way from the back country of Baja to the tundra (no not the vehicle) of the Yukon and NW Territories of Canada we never stuck. Only once, in Baja, did we find ourselves in a predicament where I had to disconnect the trailer, spin it around 180º, find a place to turn our large tow-vehicle around, and slip by to re-hitch.

For me (us, really) the advantage of a trailer is having a "base camp". When we arrive at a spot that we like and want to stay a few days, we enjoy being able to leave our camp and explore with our vehicle. With the Flip Pac we had to stow loose gear, lower the tent-top, and then set up again upon returning to camp. That's not a huge problem to overcome, all things to consider, and for some towing presents even more problems.

So, bottom line is it boils down to each one's preferences. One of these days I think I'll go through our travel log-books (fifty years worth) and tally up how many miles we've traveled with both set ups.

Allen R
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 09:21 AM

Yeah I hear you! I've got a truck with front and rear lockers, and assume I won't get stuck, but you never know.

Oh and yes, the flip-packs are great... (My buddy got one in 2003 and its great for what it is!!)...

But I am still talking about a pop-up 4wheel camper! We will put it on the jacks, drive the truck out and be able to explore while keeping it at base camp. Its lightweight, low profile. Low COG.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah I hear you! I've got a truck with front and rear lockers, and assume I won't get stuck, but you never know.

Oh and yes, the flip-packs are great... (My buddy got one in 2003 and its great for what it is!!)...

But I am still talking about a pop-up 4wheel camper! We will put it on the jacks, drive the truck out and be able to explore while keeping it at base camp. Its lightweight, low profile. Low COG.

now that sounds perfect! :yes:
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
...But I am still talking about a pop-up 4wheel camper! We will put it on the jacks, drive the truck out and be able to explore while keeping it at base camp. Its lightweight, low profile. Low COG.

BooJum, if you're talking about the brand Four Wheel Camper [Here][url=http://www.fourwheelcampers.com[/url], I couldn't agree more. Those are "sweet" (to use the jargon of those considerably younger), and I think the on/off advantage of jacks would even "sweeten" the pot.

The last slide-in camper we had was a 10' Lance, which my wife still considers the best camping unit we ever had, and it barely, no, that should be barely fit between the wheel wells of our truck. That made the on/off job more difficult when we off-loaded in campsites.

I thought I had a FW Camper purchased two years ago. Our truck is an '04 Dodge Dakota 4WD Quad Cab, and the bed measurements are weird. Unfortunately, that purchases never happened. Consequently we're giving consideration to simply ordering one from the factory in Woodland CA.

Allen R.
P.S. Ummmm, don't know what I did or didn't do to cause the link for FWC to show up. This forum has some strange idiosyncrasies.

[Edited on 7-10-2014 by bufeo]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 11:57 AM

One of the more enjoyable things to "think" about .... camping some place and what that can bring for some ...

Enjoy the discussion on "units" ... hard to find one that covers everyone's needs and/or wants in just one ... but, pretty darn close

Fun to look at and see others using them in the "field" ... thanks to all

The units available today are something to see ... when young, think the "tear drop" trailer was a big one for those who were Cadillac Camping ... my dad used a box trailer behind a 37 cheve coupe filled with our stuff ... the rear seat had been removed .. us kids stayed there with our pillows and blankets .. till we got to the destination, where we stayed for the entire week or two... driving all the way back to town for supplies just was not done by most ... in those days .. this was after WWII .. up on Bishop Creek above Parchers ... across Bishop Creek ... when you used to be able to drive across the creek and before they built the bridge

Great times ... I still have quite vivid memories ...

Think I need a DianaT fix ... of the Owens Valley .... or just about any place :):)

Must say, given my age and condition... $60,000 would go a long way on motels and/or cabin rentals ... :lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-10-2014 by wessongroup]

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
One of the more enjoyable things to "think" about .... camping some place and what that can bring for some ...

Must say, given my age and condition... $60,000 would go a long way on motels and/or cabin rentals ... :lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-10-2014 by wessongroup]

Our thinking too. We've become accustomed to country inns and hotels away from urban areas.

Allen R.

[Edited on 7-10-2014 by bufeo]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 12:25 PM

Beautiful design, if I was suitably endowed with wealth I might just try it but 60K is a little steep....guess I'll stick with my tent for now.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron....guess I'll stick with my tent for now.

Before we picked up this little 18' TT we now have I attempted to get my wife to re-kindle our enthusiasm for tent-camping. Our 40-year old tent is still in excellent condition after many, many days under the elements.

She admired the quality of this old relic, looked at me and with no hesitation said, "No!"

That was that.

Allen R.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.