Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tecate CPB Complaint
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 09:55 PM
Tecate CPB Complaint

So just got back from five weeks in Baja...epic trip...absolutely perfect except crossing at Tecate today...not a big deal but at the same time it really peeed me off...

Here is my letter I hastily submitted online:

This afternoon I crossed at Tecate, CA port of entry at approximately 1:40pm. I provide the female agent with two passports for my wife and myself and two original birth certificates for my children ages 4 and 6.

The officer told me I was out of compliance and issued me a warning because I didn't have passports for my children. I asked when the regulations changed and she said 7 or so years ago. I explained that I cross at least 5 times per year and have never had an issue with the birth certificates. The officer said maybe her co workers were not doing their job.

The officer went on to lecture me that the long border waits are due to people such as us who do not follow the proper protocol. I was not very pleased with the lecture but kept my mouth shut. She gave me a form explaining my mistake...which was not applicable.

So I wanted to clarify my mistake and this is what I found on your website:

Children: U.S. citizen children ages 15 and under arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate.

I am sick and tired of being treated like an idiot by Customs and Border Patrol personnel. How is it that I know the regulations better than the agent? This is not the first time something like this has happened to me.

Please advise your personnel at Tecate that children do not need a passport.

Thank you,

Zachary Johnston

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 10:04 PM

Please share the response to your complaint. I am getting the popcorn and beer ready.!!

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 10:15 PM

I'm not holding my breath.....

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 10:26 PM

The last time I drove across the border we were sent to secondary and I got a lecture because the agent in the booth failed to put our paperwork under the windshield wiper.:?:

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
So just got back from five weeks in Baja...epic trip...absolutely perfect except crossing at Tecate today...not a big deal but at the same time it really peeed me off...

Here is my letter I hastily submitted online:

This afternoon I crossed at Tecate, CA port of entry at approximately 1:40pm. I provide the female agent with two passports for my wife and myself and two original birth certificates for my children ages 4 and 6.

The officer told me I was out of compliance and issued me a warning because I didn't have passports for my children. I asked when the regulations changed and she said 7 or so years ago. I explained that I cross at least 5 times per year and have never had an issue with the birth certificates. The officer said maybe her co workers were not doing their job.

The officer went on to lecture me that the long border waits are due to people such as us who do not follow the proper protocol. I was not very pleased with the lecture but kept my mouth shut. She gave me a form explaining my mistake...which was not applicable.

So I wanted to clarify my mistake and this is what I found on your website:

Children: U.S. citizen children ages 15 and under arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate.

I am sick and tired of being treated like an idiot by Customs and Border Patrol personnel. How is it that I know the regulations better than the agent? This is not the first time something like this has happened to me.

Please advise your personnel at Tecate that children do not need a passport.

Thank you,

Zachary Johnston

Zach:

They are out of control and have been for years.

I posted this:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74565

Over on off-track today about the abuses documented.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 11:00 PM

.....I'd be a bit concerned about them tagging your file after submitting that complaint--sad but true :no::no:
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
.....I'd be a bit concerned about them tagging your file after submitting that complaint--sad but true :no::no:

She told me that they monitor this site...looks like you might be going to Secondary now...sorry
:o

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

She told me that they monitor this site...looks like you might be going to Secondary now...sorry
:o

I have been in their face since the changes made by the Patriot Act and the inclusion of Homeland Security. They know me well.

Video and audible recordings made (which makes them crazy) unwillingness to submit to search of person or vehicle except at ports of entry, everything documented.

And it will only get worse. That is a long but interesting article I posted on the other side if you have time. Dali-Dali had a question about my experience at that interior site east of Yuma around Christmas that I answered then also.

They deputized the CBP so they can write tickets for the Yuma county people to make money on, it's a cash cow.

Fly low and keep your head down, I'm already in the system and very aware of it so expect secondary on a regular basis.

Appreciate the FYI though.

[Edited on 7-17-2014 by Cisco]
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 11:32 PM

We are not talking rocket scientists here...it's not like those of us who get pulled into secondary don't have a history...that is the ENTIRE fickin point...we DO...and yet they continue to do it. Doesn't give you much confidence.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 06:45 AM

BB, you mentioned you cross the border at least 5 times a year, and this is your first hassle with the rent-a-cops? I'd say you've had it made so far! I got a long lecture about joining the NRA and protecting my gun rights because being from New Mexico it was turning Blue instead of Red and when I told him I don't play with guns any more since Vietnam he told me, "Yeah, but YOU lost that war....". Nice guy, huh. I average about 30/30/30%, the good, the so-so, and the super ugly.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:00 AM

If you frequently travel to Mexico, why not get your kids passports? What if you need to fly? You will need a passport. Regardless of USA law, Doesn't Mexico law require kids to have a passport?

I agree with the cbp comment that the lines would be shorter if people traveled with passports. I am sure it adds time to process people showing paper birth certs,... They are not easy to verify, have no chip to scan, etc.

While there is no good excuse for rude guards at border, I bet border crossing guards can tell a lot of stories about rude gringos they have dealt with at the border! :lol::lol:

I bet Mexicans xing the border are much more polite, as they perceive risk of getting flagged and losing visa privileges, eh?

Would be interesting to have a cbp nomad here to tell stories about some of the people they have to deal with at the border, eh?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
I average about 30/30/30%, the good, the so-so, and the super ugly.

I just close my mind, and my mouth, grin like a masturbating baboon, and let them do what they have to do and be what they have to be.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I just close my mind, and my mouth, grin like a masturbating baboon, and let them do what they have to do and be what they have to be.

Fine for you but not everyone is a republican. :coolup:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner

Conservative!!!.........please. :biggrin:

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:49 AM

I previously posted my 2 negative encounters at the SY border crossing both of which were with female agents. 2 out of 1400 crossings in 3 years. 2 out of 1400 are bad stats but 2 bad encounters and both were females is a problem.

I sent a 2 page complaint to CBP internal affairs over 2 years ago and have not received an acknowledgement, request for more info or a notice of findings. The Gestapo operates without oversight. Each chance politicians get to strip our rights and freedoms, we have to endure more Gestapo treatment.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Conservative!!!.........please. :biggrin:

Okay, conservative, I respect your right to be what you want to be.

But is it possible to conserve the past or should we adjust to the present and maybe guess at the future?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I concur, Big D. Wuz born in the night, but just not last night. I was taught about the law enforcement "Personality Test" when 15, and abide by it always.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 08:09 AM

Quote:

But is it possible to conserve the past or should we adjust to the present and maybe guess at the future?

How many cases of beer did that one take to formulate? :lol:

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
If you frequently travel to Mexico, why not get your kids passports? What if you need to fly? You will need a passport. Regardless of USA law, Doesn't Mexico law require kids to have a passport?

I agree with the cbp comment that the lines would be shorter if people traveled with passports. I am sure it adds time to process people showing paper birth certs,... They are not easy to verify, have no chip to scan, etc.

While there is no good excuse for rude guards at border, I bet border crossing guards can tell a lot of stories about rude gringos they have dealt with at the border! :lol::lol:

I bet Mexicans xing the border are much more polite, as they perceive risk of getting flagged and losing visa privileges, eh?

Would be interesting to have a cbp nomad here to tell stories about some of the people they have to deal with at the border, eh?

I was legal fair and square. She got a bit peeved when her passport reader could not read my passport and she had to type in the numbers.

Thus, I don't necessarily agree with your statements about passports. I'm sure I fit my profile as I came to the gate.

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 08:35 AM

Get your precious kids their passports, if your family was involved in an incident where you needed to extract them out via emergency air flight i.e. Med-Jet, LifeFlight, Aero Med-a-Vac ... it's mandatory for the injured to have a passport to be flown out in an emergency ...

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.