BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Don't rent a car from EUROPCAR!
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 09:57 PM
Don't rent a car from EUROPCAR!

Just got back from a great 10 days in Cabo. Everything went well until we turned in our Europcar rental car at the airport.

We had thoroughly checked the car for dents, etc., and even took pictures before we left with the car. I never thought to check the inside, nor did the employee who inspected the car with us.

As we were driving out of the lot, my daughter in the back seat, said, "Mom, there's a stain on the seat". I was so excited to start my vacation that I didn't pay too much attention to her.

Anyway, when we brought the car back today, they told us that we had stained the back seat and would have to pay for it. My daughter (11), insisted that the stain was there when we left, and the rentors insisted that they would never have let a car leave their lot with a stain! I should mention here that the place where the key goes to open the trunk was obviously damaged previously, and they knew this and still rented the car to us!

After about 20 min. of back and force arguing, and worrying about catching the plane, I finally asked what I would have to pay...they said that there was no bargaining since the company set the price and they couldn't do anything about the price. Well, they charged me $70 US for the stain! (You and I know that the whole fleet could probably be cleaned for 70 bucks in Mexico!)

The ridiculous part is that the price to rent the car was $5/day + $20/day insurance, thus the stain, which was already there cost the about the same as an extra 3 days of car rental!!!!

Needless to say, I will never rent from EUROPCAR again, and I urge the rest of you to avoid them as well. (I told the guys, that I thought were very nice the first time I met them, that I would get on my social media and try to drive away some of their business....it's not like there isn't competition!)

Of course I am finding it very hard to get a phone # to give them a call or to get someone to answer the phone, but will keep at it until I register my complaint!

All right, the trip was great, lots of time with the in-laws; beach, ranch, carne asada, pitayas, mangoes, more beach, more cousins, Pez Gato, Canadian friends, sleeping under the stars, etc.!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 10:36 PM

.....yeh,,a not too rare ploy of shifty rental agencies,,,certainly not limited to mexico....locally a consumer detective show came up with records for multi-claims on the same dents and stains......glad you got it out of the way now--enjoy the rest of your memories!:)
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:04 AM

One rental agency by the airport had a great scam. $120 added to your credit card for missing floormats. Did you notice floormats when you rented? Were they there when you turned it in? Did you check? Can you prove they were there? TOTAL LEGAL DEADEND FOR THE RENTER.
Pittsburgh

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather
Just got back from a great 10 days in Cabo. Everything went well until we turned in our Europcar rental car at the airport.

We had thoroughly checked the car for dents, etc., and even took pictures before we left with the car. I never thought to check the inside, nor did the employee who inspected the car with us.

As we were driving out of the lot, my daughter in the back seat, said, "Mom, there's a stain on the seat". I was so excited to start my vacation that I didn't pay too much attention to her.

Anyway, when we brought the car back today, they told us that we had stained the back seat and would have to pay for it. My daughter (11), insisted that the stain was there when we left, and the rentors insisted that they would never have let a car leave their lot with a stain! I should mention here that the place where the key goes to open the trunk was obviously damaged previously, and they knew this and still rented the car to us!

After about 20 min. of back and force arguing, and worrying about catching the plane, I finally asked what I would have to pay...they said that there was no bargaining since the company set the price and they couldn't do anything about the price. Well, they charged me $70 US for the stain! (You and I know that the whole fleet could probably be cleaned for 70 bucks in Mexico!)

The ridiculous part is that the price to rent the car was $5/day + $20/day insurance, thus the stain, which was already there cost the about the same as an extra 3 days of car rental!!!!

Needless to say, I will never rent from EUROPCAR again, and I urge the rest of you to avoid them as well. (I told the guys, that I thought were very nice the first time I met them, that I would get on my social media and try to drive away some of their business....it's not like there isn't competition!)

Of course I am finding it very hard to get a phone # to give them a call or to get someone to answer the phone, but will keep at it until I register my complaint!

All right, the trip was great, lots of time with the in-laws; beach, ranch, carne asada, pitayas, mangoes, more beach, more cousins, Pez Gato, Canadian friends, sleeping under the stars, etc.!

I suggest you send a letter to the person listed below (it is a link which gives the address). You might get a little relief. If you do some searching you might be able to figure out the email patter the company uses and send the letter in an email directly to him. Most companies use the same patter for all email addresses of all employees.

Roland Keppler
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
One rental agency by the airport had a great scam. $120 added to your credit card for missing floormats. Did you notice floormats when you rented? Were they there when you turned it in? Did you check? Can you prove they were there? TOTAL LEGAL DEADEND FOR THE RENTER.

....and you're usually rushing for the plane
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 10:20 AM

There were no floormats!

We checked thoroughly outside, but didn't even think to check inside the car!

Oh yea, and the guys said well, I can tell you got the seats wet...duh...why do you think we rent a car in Cabo...to go to the beach! He said he would never let his kids get in his own car wet....when do you treat a rental car like your own car??

Just called customer service who said they couldn't do anything, so ready to send some emails!
Pittsburgh

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
There were no floormats!

We checked thoroughly outside, but didn't even think to check inside the car!

Oh yea, and the guys said well, I can tell you got the seats wet...duh...why do you think we rent a car in Cabo...to go to the beach! He said he would never let his kids get in his own car wet....when do you treat a rental car like your own car??

Just called customer service who said they couldn't do anything, so ready to send some emails!

Here is a webpage with some information. Who knows if it is good information. You can use the email pattern to try to contact some other people in the company.

http://elliott.org/contacts/europcar/

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/sn...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 10:51 AM

Quote:

$25/day including insurance - that is a very cheap rental! i guess the rental agency's biz model is to rent below cost, and at end of contract seek some additional fees.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 11:14 AM

So, $25 per day plus $7 per day.... still, $32/day is a great price for a rental car in Mexico including insurance.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 12:48 PM

Site lists car rental as $5/day....I said "wow", when I saw it, but knew we'd have to throw in some insurance.

Bob H, it's when the $288 quoted and calculated price jumps to $348 for a stain that had already been there when I get irate!

Here's the other thing...as we pull in to return the car there is a little abuela with a bowl of water and a rag cleaning the inside of the cars....I know no one is paying her $70 /car!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Site lists car rental as $5/day....I said "wow", when I saw it, but knew we'd have to throw in some insurance.

Bob H, it's when the $288 quoted and calculated price jumps to $348 for a stain that had already been there when I get irate!

Here's the other thing...as we pull in to return the car there is a little abuela with a bowl of water and a rag cleaning the inside of the cars....I know no one is paying her $70 /car!

...methinks Bob's point is that even $35/day isn't bad.

...and the 'abuela' is probably being paid $5/car to -make- stains,,,,a nice solution of invisible ink--only shows up an hour after the car's been rented :O
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 01:51 PM

It's rare that I return a rental car in Mexico without some kind of issue; not sure why but something always crops up. The exception would be Fox Rental Car in Loreto. Reading through this post makes me realize that I also need to inspect the interior of the car (I usually don't). Sorry for your misfortune Heather but at least we have all learned something from it.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 02:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up about this Agency, Heather! We plan to rent a car in Cabo. I don't usually check over the inside of a rental car with a fine tooth comb, but I do on the outside, but I most certainly will now!!

Sorry this happened to you!

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 04:18 PM

They did the same thing to me, said there was dog hair on the seat = $100. Thieves!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 08:03 PM

try FOX rentacar!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 09:42 PM

Team Europcar!

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Team Europcar!

. ....''we're so happy with EuropCar,,we decided to ride our bikes this time!!'' ;):tumble:Text

[Edited on 7-18-2014 by micah202]
GregN
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2014 at 07:57 AM

They ripped me off last year in Loreto, charging me much more than the quote. Never did get satisfaction, and just gave up.

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2014 at 10:55 PM

I use National... they seem the least awful. The rental cars in Mexico are absolute sh*te, though. Our car in GDL last time popped open the trunk lid every bump we hit... and you know what roads in MX are like! But they replaced it with no complaints.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2014 at 09:15 AM

Hertz in Mexico city was GREAT. We expected headaches but the hardest part was finding them when we wanted to return the car. They are in the parking garage and NOT where all the other rental agencies are. A tad confusing. Kudos for them for not making anything up!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.