Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Observations on Walking Into Tijuas, July 27, 2014
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 08:00 PM
Observations on Walking Into Tijuas, July 27, 2014

I needed to run across and pick up a bottle of membrillo for a friend of mine, and because my car is not yet SENTRIfied, I parked on the U.S. side and walked over. (On a hot, humid, close day, too. Sigh.)

I noticed a few things as I was wandering from Border Station into Tijuas.

1. There is now a very large sign saying "U-TURN TO USA" on the freeway. It's just past the canopy where the CBP stand when they're examining outbound vehicles, right where the Jersey barriers that create the lanes are. They U-turn right into the tope-ridden slalom at the exit from customs. Good luck if you're a long vehicle, but at least it's there. It seems like that must have been in response to the jailed Marine.

2. They've made accessible ramps for every slope as you walk into the INM building. The only issue is getting through the revolving MEXICO gate. (There's a door, but it's locked.) No more searching for elevators or trying to get down stairs.

3. They aren't bothering with the traffic light anymore. I walked toward it and got a curt, "Pásele, adelante."

4. They've forced taxis not to wait in the old SENTRI turnaround anymore. You either have to walk up the hill toward Ferrocarril or you have to walk over the freeway and use either the taxis económicos (fine for 10 pesos if you're going downtown, expensive otherwise) or turn right for the taxis libres.

5. Taxis libres have dropped their prices for some reason. I took one to go to La Cacho from Mercado Hidalgo and it only cost me 40$. (I took taxis de ruta everywhere else, except a calafia back to the border.)

6. There was a marathon in Tijuana today that tied up traffic, plus the usual Sunday ciclovía. Made getting around a little challenging. There was literally not a single tourist in the mercado de artesanías at 11 a.m. There was one old gringo on the bridge over the river who wanted to know how far a walk to the border it was, and one gringo family shopping in Tavo's Liquors on Revu and 7th, but that was literally it. It did mean that I got chased by a desperate hoar all the way to the arch. ("Ya te dije, soy buen católico. ¡Lárgate!") Businesses are getting a little desperate.

7. The northbound line for general public (passport books) was so long today that it stretched all the way down to the hill, then U-turned like a Disneyland ride, all the way back to the pedestrian bridge, up the stairs, and a good fifty meters onto the bridge. The Ready Lane was all the way back to the duty-free store. I've never been so happy to have a SENTRI card in my life—I was second in line.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 10:49 AM

Any good restaurants within walking distance?
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Any good restaurants within walking distance?

Depends how you define walking distance. The only place I eat along the border lineup is Bol Corona for the burritos. There's usually decent street food across from Plaza Viva Tijuana in Col. Federal, and there's a good cremeria there, too, Quesos Sta. Brigida. Once you get out of Col. Federal (over the river) and head downtown, the choices improve. There's Fonda Santa Fe on Revu/7th where you get three courses for 60 pesos ($5): soup, entree, tortillas, dessert.

If you want fancy, there's El Colegio and Caesar's facing each other across Revu/5th. If you want menudo, there's a place on the street on 4th and Ocampo. Seafood truck Mariscos Ruben on 8th and Quintana Roo, or La Cahua del Yeyo on 8th and Sirak Baloyan. By the time you're that far over, though, you should consider Tacos El Franc on 7th and Sánchez Taboada, Tacos Fitos for tacos de birria on Fco. Javier Mina across from Mercado Hidalgo, or some of the fondas in the market itself, like El Rincón del Oso.

And, of course, if it's late enough, there's Kentucky Fried Buches on Coahuila. Deep-fried chicken necks with tortillas and tomato salsa. It's addicting and awesome.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 03:25 PM

Fried neck bones. One of my favs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dke84YMCFs0

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.