Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: VAQUITA NEARLY EXTINCT - 100 LEFT
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 09:44 PM
VAQUITA NEARLY EXTINCT - 100 LEFT

Hola Nomads,

Horrible news from the Alto Golfo. Here is the link to an AP story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/china-bladd...

Peace,
Aaron
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 11:08 PM

Super Suck :no:
This is so sad, can you imagine how long it took for them to adapt to the Northern Sea Of Cortez and in our brief history there.... WIPED OUT :fire:

Know your enemy !
The bladder of the totoaba is prized by Chinese chefs, who use it to make soups and other dishes. According to the Smithsonian Institution’s website, one totoaba bladder can attract a $5,000 payoff in the United States, and more than $10,000 in Asia.

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by BajaRat]

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by BajaRat]
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 11:59 PM

Gill netters... The Sea of Cortez is controlled by only one country: Mexico. Not many places on this planet where this happens. They could control it, close it down, patrol it if they wanted to.

But they don't...and it really is a shame.
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 09:49 AM

Hola BajaRat and redhilltown,

Your comments are right on the money. This incredible cetacean is in all likelihood about to go extinct on Mexico's/our watch. The females die in captivity and are only capable of giving birth every second year. The estimation of 25 female exemplars means that genetic diversity is for all purposes non-existent. The decline of the Vaquita and Totoaba have taken place in a marine protected area expressly established to protect them, the Alto Golfo Biosphere. Viva Mexico!

There is one more card to play and that would be a complete ban on fishing in the Alto Golfo. I am not confident that the key players are willing to take this step but hope springs eternal.

Finally, I would like to invite Nomads to attend a lecture I will be presenting on Saturday August 16 10am at the Tijuana River National Estuarine Research Reserve in Imperial Beach. The lecture title is: The Fall of the Sea of Cortez. The TJ Estuary is located at:

301 Caspian Way
Imperial Beach, CA 91932

http://trnerr.org/walks-talks/

Hope to see you there.
Peace,
Aaron
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 10:04 AM

we'll try to be there Aaron.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 10:07 AM

A few years ago we had a Whaler that we named Vaquita in their honor.
Most of the locals thought it meant little cow. When we explained what it was, they didn't know that they were in danger of extinction.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 10:31 AM
last 100

This past spring on the local FM (kpig) radio station were running adds about saving them...but they stopped running them for some reason ? I have never seen one..only pics...when will the sea of "cortez" get some protection ?? I have in my short life watched as the sealife disappear...sad!!:(
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 11:27 AM

I've posted this on other threads in the past; one thing must be considered when discussing the loss of marine life in the Sea of Cortez: the destruction of the Colorado River ecosystem.

It's taken a full 100 years now, but the damming of the C. River has completely destroyed the nutrient-rich effluence that made the Sea of Cortez what it HAD become for thousands of years. Granted, the introduction of man with boats, nets and long-lines has taken a huge toll as well. I don't refute that at all, but it's a proven stated fact that just the loss of the River nutrients and the complete annihilation of the Colorado Estuary Delta system has created a 30% loss of TOTAL MARINE LIFE across the board in the upper Sea, even greater in the northern reaches.

The original Delta estuary was home to millions of sea birds and a myriad of riparian life, with great flocks of even flamingos! Now, brackish salt grass, alkali and nothing living, compared to a mere 100 years ago. Early Spanish explorers could sail the river all the way north to almost current Las Vegas. Flows of 1 MILLION cubic feet per second have been estimated by the original river system.

There is NO turning back on that now. There's no changing it, even though recently they did a little 'push' of water down the lower river just to stir up the mud a little. Future plans? All parties involved, not just Mexico, but International fishing vessels all have to concede the current state of plight and blight, and set new laws, regulations and limits accordingly, and Mexico above all must enforce them.

To that, all I can say is, ROTSA RUCK.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 03:19 PM

Interesting reading. I have a place in Yuma and somewhat aware of the delta estuary. When the All American canal was constructed that caused a dramatic drop in water from the Col. River to Sea of Cortez. However, we do provide water to the estuary south of San Luis via a canal from the Welton area as I recall.
Sad to hear of the vaquito situation.

[Edited on 8-5-2014 by bacquito]

bacquito
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 03:52 PM

Both the American use of water and Mexican use of water produces some of the richest sources of year-round food and cotton supplies, in the Imperial and Mexicali valleys. The Colorado River does feed and clothe the world, and if it's use did cause species extinction, then it is not the first time nor nearly as dramatic as it the past when the river stopped flowing to the gulf all together (more than once) for many years.

Perhaps the vaquita is simply not in that region anymore or the shrimp netters are the cause of the population decline? The Hoover Dam is close to 80 years old and the vaquita wasn't even discovered until after it had dammed the river for 20 years...

I am not advocating anything more than to collect all the data and explore all the possibilities before blaming America (or Mexico).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 04:00 PM

Yes, David the American Patriot; we do. We use it ALL up. What little goes to Mexico is stopped for agriculture at the Morenos dam just south of the border. From there on, nada. A trickle, and highly polluted by all our run-off. In your wonderful State is the New River by El Centro, and it is the most polluted river in the country. Border Patrol will not enter the waters chasing illegals for fear of contamination and disease/poisoning.

Mass extinctions don't take minutes or days, sometimes years, even hundreds of years. In the 80 years of damn dams, the loss of life in northern Sea of Cortez is irrefutable and indisputable. Ain't like 'global warming' climate change you like to soap-box about. It's a done deal. Ain't Obammy's fault, or tree-huggers, or lib-tards, or Junior's. It's HUMAN'S FAULT. We grew too much.

Stick to maps and missions.

86 - 45*

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
I've posted this on other threads in the past; one thing must be considered when discussing the loss of marine life in the Sea of Cortez: the destruction of the Colorado River ecosystem.

It's taken a full 100 years now, but the damming of the C. River has completely destroyed the nutrient-rich effluence that made the Sea of Cortez what it HAD become for thousands of years. Granted, the introduction of man with boats, nets and long-lines has taken a huge toll as well. I don't refute that at all, but it's a proven stated fact that just the loss of the River nutrients and the complete annihilation of the Colorado Estuary Delta system has created a 30% loss of TOTAL MARINE LIFE across the board in the upper Sea, even greater in the northern reaches.

The original Delta estuary was home to millions of sea birds and a myriad of riparian life, with great flocks of even flamingos! Now, brackish salt grass, alkali and nothing living, compared to a mere 100 years ago. Early Spanish explorers could sail the river all the way north to almost current Las Vegas. Flows of 1 MILLION cubic feet per second have been estimated by the original river system.

There is NO turning back on that now. There's no changing it, even though recently they did a little 'push' of water down the lower river just to stir up the mud a little. Future plans? All parties involved, not just Mexico, but International fishing vessels all have to concede the current state of plight and blight, and set new laws, regulations and limits accordingly, and Mexico above all must enforce them.

To that, all I can say is, ROTSA RUCK.

Actually the Colorado River Delta has been subject to alternating cycles of flow and drought over the millenia as the river has often changed its course to drain alternately into the Salton Sink area (the last time it created Lake Cahuilla, that is, before we filled it ourselves in 1905 by accident) and the Sea of Cortez. Just a little factoid, none of which undermines the urgency to get the SOC back from the brink.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 04:03 PM

Mexitron, are you referring to the Salton Sea? That was a monumental flub by the Corps of Engineers under the Mulholland Plan in the original diverting of canal water (as you say, by accident). And yes, the Colorado has been diverting for millennia. All rivers have. 13,000 years ago was the end of the Pleistocene Ice Age, and all water flows in the American Continent were different.

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, David the American Patriot; we do. We use it ALL up. What little goes to Mexico is stopped for agriculture at the Morenos dam just south of the border. From there on, nada. A trickle, and highly polluted by all our run-off. In your wonderful State is the New River by El Centro, and it is the most polluted river in the country. Border Patrol will not enter the waters chasing illegals for fear of contamination and disease/poisoning.

Mass extinctions don't take minutes or days, sometimes years, even hundreds of years. In the 80 years of damn dams, the loss of life in northern Sea of Cortez is irrefutable and indisputable. Ain't like 'global warming' climate change you like to soap-box about. It's a done deal. Ain't Obammy's fault, or tree-huggers, or lib-tards, or Junior's. It's HUMAN'S FAULT. We grew too much.

Did you read my last line? "I am not advocating anything more than to collect all the data and explore all the possibilities before blaming America (or Mexico)."

Or are facts not at all important to you... I bet you believe in man made global warming and the sea levels are rising dramatically in our lifetime? I can remember the rock shelf road along Bahia Concepcion in 1966, and driving in the sea water on it at high tide in places... You know what? I can still drive on those parts of it at high tide, almost 50 years later... Why is that?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Mexitron, are you referring to the Salton Sea? That was a monumental flub by the Corps of Engineers under the Mulholland Plan in the original diverting of canal water (as you say, by accident). And yes, the Colorado has been diverting for millennia. All rivers have. 13,000 years ago was the end of the Pleistocene Ice Age, and all water flows in the American Continent were different.

So who do you blame or increase taxes on for those river changes?

Change happens, and it is natural.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Did you read my last line? "I am not advocating anything more than to collect all the data and explore all the possibilities before blaming America (or Mexico)."

Or are facts not at all important to you... I bet you believe in man made global warming and the sea levels are rising dramatically in our lifetime? I can remember the rock shelf road along Bahia Concepcion in 1966, and driving in the sea water on it at high tide in places... You know what? I can still drive on those parts of it at high tide, almost 50 years later... Why is that?

Because you ability to understand even simplistic science writing written for laymen is blinded by your politics. That's why!

Re waiting to collect and analyze more data,... There are only 100 individuals left, no time to delay.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The data has been collected. If you would take your head out of.... you would have been aware of this for quiet some time. The greed for water has taken precedent over saving these species.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I don't BLAME anyone, David. i'll leave that up to you, Rush, and Glenn Beck.

Stick to maps and missions. That's your mission.

Better yet, RUN FOR OFFICE AND STFU. GET ON A BALLOT.

DOOOOO SOMETHING. gawd.

86 - 45*

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 12:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Change happens. Well yeah, it did for millions of years. Problem being A) a huge percentage of people on DK's side believe the world is only a few thousand years old and B) this "change" never happened with seven BILLION people on this planet.

If you want to be on the side of Ken Ham and Sarah Palin go right ahead...but don't expect anyone to listen to you that still has a thinking brain...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 06:47 AM

Quote:

I am not advocating anything more than to collect all the data and explore all the possibilities before blaming America (or Mexico).

The facts are here. Data collection has been going on for years.

http://www.iucn-csg.org/index.php/vaquita/

The article indicates that Mexico has worked hard to save this species but the Chinese pay so much for them it's been a losing battle.

If you want to blame someone, it's the Chinese and their eating disorders that result in horrendous slaughters of marine species.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.