BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SENTRI-fication and new fast route to Otay!
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2014 at 09:52 PM
SENTRI-fication and new fast route to Otay!

So almost exactly three months to the day after I submitted my new car for SENTRI-fication, I got the conditional approval. The first thing I noticed is how soon I could get an appointment—got the notice on Friday, there were appointments for the following Monday and Friday.

I only waited about 10 minutes past my interview time. There was no interview—the officer just handed back my car documents, my driver's license and my SENTRI card and told me to pull the car around.

I did that and popped the hood and trunk as told to do... and the inspection officer went to go ask some knucklehead who was blocking the emergency gate to move his car. The guy got really loud and up in the officer's face. Just dumb—how you gonna be rude and confrontational to the guy who's about to save you untold hours of agony crossing the border?

I went across after my inspection and got a cup of coffee at Das Cortez and quesatacos at Tacos Salceados, knocked around a bit, then headed back to SD.

I came back through Otay—they finally, finally finished the cut-through from Ermita Norte (where Tacos Salceados is) up and over and onto the new Vía Rápida Alamar to Lázaro Card##as. It took just five minutes to get from the Hipódromo to the Otay crossing. Beautiful!!

This was Friday night around 7 p.m. It took me 20 minutes in the SENTRI lane, but there were so few people in the general lane that the cars that drove through had to weave around the vendors who normally demarcate the lanes. It was crazy!

Oh, and the road south from the Otay crossing is all tore up. Definitely know your East Tijuana byways if you're trying to get somewhere besides the airport or Blvd. 2000.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2014 at 08:49 AM

Thanks for the update! Tacos Salceados is special IMEO. Just checked the map for your route and that looks like a quick return indeed. Cant wait to give it a go.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2014 at 08:25 AM

SENTRI Lane from Ermita Norte:

Regular Lanes (for Ready Lanes keep left) from Ermita Norte:

[Edited on 8-26-2014 by dasubergeek]
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-26-2014 at 08:41 AM

I don't understand. Were you allowed to use the SENTRI Lane without your card?

It took a week for me to get my card after my interview and car inspection. Do they allow you to use it immediately as long as your paperwork is complete?

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2014 at 09:30 AM

I added my car; I already had the SENTRI card. As soon as your new car is inspected, you can take it through the SENTRI lane. There's no delay.

If you are getting your SENTRI card for the first time, you have to wait until you get the SENTRI card in the mail 7-10 days later before you can go through the lane (though you can use Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check immediately).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.