Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  15
Author: Subject: Tropical Storm Warning for BCS for Hurricane Norbert
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 02:00 PM
Tropical Storm Warning for BCS for Hurricane Norbert

TS Norbert seems to be content to stay a storm...no one is predicting hurricane status.

wed morning-

So much for that. Looks like Norbert will be a problem here.

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by bajajudy]

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by bajajudy]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
TS Norbert seems to be content to stay a storm...no one is predicting hurricane status.

i usually read the forecast discussion and avoid the graphics. the NWS NHC discussion yesterday said the current models are not reliable, and reading between the lines they basically say "stay tuned, we dont know how this storm will develop."

the 2 pm today discussion said: "Except for moderate northeasterly shear, environmental conditions appear favorable for strengthening for the next couple of days. Intensity guidance is a bit higher than 6 hours ago, with the HWRF now calling for Norbert to become a hurricane."

still a chance it may turn northward, probably wont know that until thursday. if the highover mexico decreases later this week, could see it turn north into penninsula....

anywho, the hurricane force winds should kick up some good surf for the north county san diego and OC crowd that is carpetbagging down south, squabbling over breaks, introducing their negativity to the peace and love vibes of lore
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 03:06 PM

Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 04:19 PM

Watches and warnings
--------------------
changes with this advisory...
The government of Mexico has issued a tropical storm watch for Baja
California sur from La Paz southward around the southern tip of the
Baja California peninsula northward to S
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 08:06 PM

So much for no hurricane

Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 08:30 PM

Watch out - he may just head right up the SOC.

Edited to change gender (but they are all finicky)

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by Katiejay99]
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 09:48 PM

So we have Norbert again, it was around baja a few years back. At that time it wasno big thing, hope it stays the same this ime around.
Katiejay99
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 05:28 AM

List of things to get done early today:
Put up Hurricane shields
Get dog food
Get people food
gas up vehicles
get batteries
fill my garrafones (water containers)
Charge my phones

This ones gonna knock us here in Todos Santos around a little bit. The ground is already saturated from excessive rain on Monday.
I'll report as I can.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 06:48 AM

Good idea Katiejay....all of you down south...please be safe and prepared especially for flooding. I had a bad feeling September would be an a$$ kicker.

Please keep reporting on weather as long as you can before your power goes out so those north of you have an idea what is coming.

We had a long discussion with Tomas who is the new director of the Proteccion Civil here in Asuncion about the need to keep lookey loos and daring do's away from the big waves at the beach and here at the blowhole. It only takes one bigger wave to drag people out or bash them on the rocks.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Katiejay99
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 08:49 AM

I will keep reporting either by my computer or my smartphone (I can keep it charged in my truck). Unless the cell towers go down, I'll report. I just looked at NHC and eebmike and YIKES!

The storm that hit on Monday I noticed that as soon as it passed a whole bunch of people showed up on the beach. I asked a friend of mine why and he said it was the fishermen handlining and that right after a storm was the best time to catch fish from the shore.

Everyone keep safe.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 08:55 AM

GFDL predictions have over the years come closest.

If they are correct Asuncion may be in for a doozy :?::?:

norbert.gif - 27kB

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 09:00 AM

often when the predictions say it is headed here...the dang thing gets sucked over to the gulf side and has it's way with Mulege...so be prepared for flooding all. As mentioned much of baja is already saturated so flooding will be worse. If we do get rain and another big swell, the new highway at the entrance to Asuncion will flood and more of the town sand bank will get eroded away.

looks like a problem for this weekend's fishing tournament here! By the way, the yellowtail bit is voracious right now

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 09:15 AM

Overcast, no wind
Hot and humid
Getting our storm shutters up, gassing up, beering up, fooding up, watering up, lashing down
Already checked the generator

Norbert took a little jog to the west which makes the track a little better for us...
Hopefully for all of us!

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
often when the predictions say it is headed here...the dang thing gets sucked over to the gulf side and has it's way with Mulege...so be prepared for flooding all.

...yes that's my concern as well...some projection models I've seen show that as a possibility but one can 'almost' be sure at this point that Mulege will receive significant precipitation.

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by micah202]
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 09:20 AM

Oh, where's hell's fire when ya' need it? Dry up this thing!

Stay safe, Everybody.
Have a plan and work it -- ahead of time, which would be now.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 09:25 AM

WTPZ44 KNHC 031444
TCDEP4

TROPICAL STORM NORBERT DISCUSSION NUMBER 5
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP142014
800 AM PDT WED SEP 03 2014

Norbert has become significantly better organized this morning.
The central dense overcast has become more symmetric with more
prominent banding around the center. Microwave images also show
that the inner core is becoming better defined, with the likely
first stages of a primitive eye. The initial wind speed is set to
55 kt, at the top end of the subjective Dvorak estimates, although
the latest objective numbers are higher. With the improvement in
the inner core, light-to-moderate shear, and very warm waters,
future strengthening seems quite likely. In fact, rapid
intensification is a distinct possibility, with the SHIPS-RI
showing about a 1-in-3 chance of Norbert becoming 30 kt stronger in the next 24 hours. Considering the environmental factors and the low bias of the deterministic guidance so far, the new NHC intensity forecast is raised considerably from the previous one, about 5 kt above the highest guidance through 48 hours. After that time, cooler waters and a more stable atmosphere are expected to weaken the cyclone. The NHC forecast is blended with the previous forecast and the intensity consensus at long range.

With recent microwave and visible imagery, it appears that Norbert has been moving westward over the past few hours. However, a more representative long-term motion is 295/8. Mid-level ridging is expected to weaken later today over northwestern Mexico, which should cause Norbert to turn more to the northwest. While all of the reliable guidance keeps the center of the storm offshore of Baja California Sur, Norbert should come close enough to bring tropical-storm-force winds to the state. The models have shifted somewhat
southward since the last cycle, and with the recent westward motion, it makes sense to adjust the NHC forecast a little farther south for the first day or so. There hasn't been much change to the guidance beyond day 3, so the new forecast is basically an update to the previous one.

[img]http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/EP14/refresh/EP1414W5_NL+gif/151130W5_NL_sm.gif[/img]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 09:52 AM

...something of a 'read' on Norbert from a reliable california based sort...warns to boat owners (and doctors) in Ensenada

The NHC has been well behind the curve with Tropical Storm Norbert. At first the models were forecasting a Tropical Storm through day five. Curious given the moderate shear and very warm SSTs. Now the shear is relaxing, 29'C SSTs are available to the system and rapid intensification should occur. Category 5 Hurricane Marie was also underdone on the forecast consistently and IMHO the same will be true of Norbert. Norbert should become a hurricane very shortly and based on what I see should become yet another major hurricane by tomorrow as it scrapes by Cabo and heads generally parallel to the Baja Peninsula. Much warmer than normal SSTs are the rule along the path until about half way up the Mexican coastline but by that time Norbert may very well have intensified to a point where he impacts for Southern California early next week. IS it finally time for the long overdue tropical wash down we have been talking about since May? I don't know but the models are a mess and in my estimation unreliable beginning over the weekend. If you have a boat in Ensenada this one is worth watching. Further up the coast the chances are more remote that a true tropical cyclone will impact us here in SOCAL but we'll have to see what Norbert decodes to do as we get to the weekend.
Katiejay99
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 10:35 AM
TS Norbert Reports

I thought it would be a good idea to have a special topic just for our reports.

It is overcast with a light breeze in Todos Santos today.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 10:58 AM

Same from Loreto

92 degrees in the shade with the wind picking up a little bit.

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by Howard]

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 11:01 AM

Sun is out. Wish I had done a load of clothes!
My guy is here putting up the storm shutters on our office and store.
No wind, 85 on the porch.

Pages:  1    3  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.