BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dirt Bike Trip Starting October 26th From San Felipe
bravnug

question.gif posted on 10-7-2014 at 09:55 AM
Dirt Bike Trip Starting October 26th From San Felipe

Hello Baja Nomads, 7 of us are traveling from Denver to ride motos in your neck of the woods starting October 26th from San Felipe.

Our route as planned now will go from San Felipe - BoLA - San Ignacio - Loretto - Mulege - San Ignacio - Tortugas - G.N. - Catavina - San Felipe. Was hoping you all could shed some light on the current conditions in these areas ???

I will continue to monitor this site.

Thanks and be safe.

Dan

[Edited on 10-7-2014 by bravnug]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 11:45 AM

Sounds like you're hitting some cool towns. How much time are you allotting for the trip? BTW: whatever time you've budgeted isn't enough.

bravnug

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 12:00 PM

We are riding for nine days, about 200 miles per day. Yeah, that's true, this will be my 10th time to ride Baja and it is never enough !

Dan
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 12:21 PM

If it's your tenth time you should have the answers to most of your Q's.....

Bottom line....: fresh tires, big tank, and watch out for the wet spots.

Bikes will get through some storm damage better than 4-wheeled vehicles.....but, again, you already knew that :biggrin:

http://motoged.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Geds-Vids/7338507_3qQMQr#!i=472506637&k=6dtvhqf

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 12:41 PM

You might see some Baja 1000 pre-runners from Coco's Corner on south...?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 03:36 PM

With this storm hitting Baja now I would not trust any road conditions posted. Keep your plans loose and have a great time!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 03:39 PM

This ^^^

Every rain storm changes the deal on driving in Baja! However major roads are repaired fast!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bravnug

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone, just looking to stay updated on conditions like motels, electricity, gasoline and of course cerveza. We don't camp and are all about the hot shower and some beers after the ride. I realize Baja is an ever changing environment just don't want too much hassle on the trip.

motoged, nice vid where was that at ???

I haven't heard much about Loretto, how did they fare in the last storm ?

I called BoLA and spoke with Victoria and she is open, GN Malarimo is open, Tortugas the Rendon was in good shape...hope it stays that with the current storm. I tried to call Ricardo in San Ignacio and the Serenidad in Mulege but couldn't get trough. I heard mountains between Mulege and Scorpion Bay got pounded so that might be tricky getting through there.

Any info is much appreciated !

Dan
Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 12:20 PM

Hola Dan. Myself and two buddies are leaving Nov. 3 for Loreto via Gonzaga, LA Bay, El Arco, San Ignacio, San Juanico, Loreto. We will be riding two WR-450's and a KTM-450. Keep your eyes open for us, we may cross paths.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bravnug

Dan

Dan,
That river crossing is on Pacific side " somewhere north of San Juanico"....A Lizard Lady track.....

It took us a half-hour to extract the 'Berg from quicksand at the water's edge.....a bit of panic :o.

The San Raymundo route from Ballena to Mulege is apparently only passable by horse was the report last week....I would imagine they will push a blade through there soon....

bravnug

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 01:25 PM

Enrique2012, we'll keep an eye out for you...happy trails !

motoged, I ride with a guy that knows the Lizard Lady fairly well, gonna have to ask him and see if he can get some tracks from her.

I just noticed you were from Kamloops, do you know a guy (I believe his name) is Al that has a place in BoLA ? Met him down there a few years ago with some guys from Denver that knew him.

Yeah the San Raymundo route has a lot of wash crossings, I imagine that's messed up ! We also usually go through San Juan de la Piles canyon over to Mulege and back the other. Any ST in that area ???

Thanks... Dan
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 02:20 PM

Quote:

motoged,

I just noticed you were from Kamloops, do you know a guy (I believe his name) is Al that has a place in BoLA ? Met him down there a few years ago with some guys from Denver that knew him.

Thanks... Dan

Dan,
Al Perrett, 75 years old and still racing Baja.

I know him well and ride with him at times up here.

He is in the Bill Nicols/Malcolm Smith category of riders and is a legend in some circles.

You can't swing a dead cat by the tail in Baja and not smack someone who has an Al Perret story..;.:biggrin:

http://www.gvmps.org/inductees/al_perrett.htm

bravnug

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 02:24 PM

How bout that, he seemed like a real genuine guy !

Thanks for the info.

Rode with Bill in 2013 and some guys from Durango, amazing he's in his 70's and still carries a ton of stuff on him and is still quick !

Dan

[Edited on 10-8-2014 by bravnug]
sarkmych

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

Dan

Dan,
That river crossing is on Pacific side " somewhere north of San Juanico"....A Lizard Lady track.....

It took us a half-hour to extract the 'Berg from quicksand at the water's edge.....a bit of panic :o.

The San Raymundo route from Ballena to Mulege is apparently only passable by horse was the report last week....I would imagine they will push a blade through there soon....

That's such a cool vid. You look like you were with some decent riders...
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 06:50 PM

Hotels fill up quick with Baja 1000 Prerun teams so have your hotels absolutely locked in as your trip is in the prime Baja 1000 prerun dates. It sucks when you roll into the hotel and it's full of prerunners...these guys already have reservations and it's planned out so plans. And those teams that don't have reservations send chase guys ahead to pay for rooms for that night ...

San Ignacio was hit very very hard .... and it's a prerunners haven so beware about that.

Enjoy!

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sarkmych

That's such a cool vid. You look like you were with some decent riders...

Hola, Marco.....yes very cool riders to do Baja with :lol::lol:

If you look closely you might notice that the bravest guy to cross the river first was a guy on a Yammie 450....and it was his first trip to Baja.....

Oh, yeah ....that was YOU :biggrin::cool:

And this year's ride has just morphed....we will talk in a few days....hopefully same plan for you and me with some changes....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.