BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  10
Author: Subject: New U.N. report out on climate change. Impact on Baja?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 11:58 AM
New U.N. report out on climate change. Impact on Baja?

“The atmosphere and ocean have warmed, the amounts of snow and ice have diminished, and sea level has risen,” the report said, adding that this has caused extreme weather all over the world. “It is very likely that heat waves will occur more often and last longer, and that extreme precipitation events will become more intense and frequent in many regions.”

"Pollution and climate change due to human influence is “clear,” and the observed effects are “unprecedented,” according to a report released Sunday by a United Nations panel. "

After this years hurricane season and ultra warm temperatures...I wonder. Most in our town agree the tides seem to be higher than ever. Because Baja is a peninsula are the changes more dramatic?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 12:07 PM

I do not doubt their findings at all....but it will not be long before the climate change "haters" (an adolescent term at best) will put the report down and deny it as another commie plot....

Perhaps the dengue outbreak in Baja is an outcome of climate change :light:

...As is the spread of other tropical diseases northwards.

No doubt, something is happening....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoKr9VDg3A

Don't believe everything you think....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 12:07 PM

Just a couple of many conclusions the report has that impact Baja California and BCS.

Global marine species redistribution and marine biodiversity reduction in sensitive regions, under
climate change, will challenge the sustained provision of fisheries productivity and other ecosystem
services, especially at low latitudes (high confidence)

Coastal systems and low-lying areas will increasingly experience submergence, flooding and
erosion throughout the 21st century and beyond, due to sea-level rise (very high confidence)

Climate change over the 21st century is projected to reduce renewable surface water and groundwater
resources in most dry subtropical regions (robust evidence,high agreement), intensifying competition
for water among sectors (limited evidence,medium agreement)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 12:15 PM

it just seems like self flagellation and to be so full of self loathing (redundant?) to think 150 years of human history is the only thing that causes glaciers to melt, like they've never melted before, in the history of the earth. humans are so important they made Jesus in their image to prove it!:light:

[Edited on 11-2-2014 by woody with a view]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

After this years hurricane season and ultra warm temperatures...I wonder. Most in our town agree the tides seem to be higher than ever. Because Baja is a peninsula are the changes more dramatic?

Arent we in a cycle where the moon is a closer to us than it usually is? I seem to remember something about a full moon in 2014 being larger because the moon travels on an elliptical path around the earth, rather than a circle. So, it gets closer and farther away by as much as 5%. I have no idea what the complete cycle of this ellipse is.

I also have no idea whether that could affect the tides or not. Just a possible explanation.

Does anyone really pay ANY attention to what the UN says? This is an organization that is helpless to do much of anything. The Russian occupation of the Ukraine, the US occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan and the Rwandan Genocide comes to mind.

I also suspect you are trolling for Giant Kierfish, aka Toyotus Magnificus. :lol:

[Edited on 11-2-2014 by Hook]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 12:45 PM

Sun spots are very active now. Woody is right and the U.N. wants more U.S. tax dollars is what their lies are about.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
I do not doubt their findings at all....but it will not be long before the climate change "haters" (an adolescent term at best) will put the report down and deny it as another commie plot....

Didn't take long :yes::yes: Science be damned.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Woody is right.

I'm glad we can agree on one thing!:lol::P:biggrin:

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 01:02 PM

Would offer ... The IMF, World Bank and a few others organizations which view the "topic" somewhat differently ... and they do have some degree of impact on area's of economic growth as it relates to environmental impact

Executives: Smart Carbon Pricing Policies Can Drive Investment in a Cleaner Future

http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2014/11/02/business...

This is not going away, any time soon ... it's Organic :lol::lol:

And we® all will be at the party together ... like it or not

[Edited on 11-2-2014 by wessongroup]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

I also suspect you are trolling for Giant Kierfish, aka Toyotus Magnificus. :lol:

you can make fun of david all you like....but he claims growing up as a boy the water level in his toilet was exactly the same height as it is today! you can't argue with that kind of logic! ;)
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 01:13 PM

I am running right out and buying a pair of those nifty white boots like the pangueros wear in expectation the sea will rise.

I suggest everyone do the same immediately.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 01:21 PM

Interesting theory about the moon since we see the impact of the moons effect on tides daily. I could not though, find any information that supports there is an effect beyond what happens daily. This is the closest I could find

According to NASA, the combination of the moon being at its closest and at full moon, should not affect the internal energy balance of the Earth since there are lunar tides every day. There is a small difference in tidal forces exerted by the moon’s gravitational pull at lunar perigee. However, they are too small to overcome the larger forces within the planet.

I am very much interested in what happens to our coastline...wonder when the next measurement of the Federal Zone is.

Quote:
Quote:

Arent we in a cycle where the moon is a closer to us than it usually is? I seem to remember something about a full moon in 2014 being larger because the moon travels on an elliptical path around the earth, rather than a circle. So, it gets closer and farther away by as much as 5%. I have no idea what the complete cycle of this ellipse is.

I also have no idea whether that could affect the tides or not. Just a possible explanation.

Does anyone really pay ANY attention to what the UN says? This is an organization that is helpless to do much of anything. The Russian occupation of the Ukraine, the US occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan and the Rwandan Genocide comes to mind.

[Edited on 11-2-2014 by rts551]
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

Didn't take long :yes::yes: Science be damned.

More than just science be damned, let's not forget mathematics, physics and astronomy......

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 01:51 PM

I'm sorry, but any reports from the United Nations just have to be taken with many grains of salt.

I marvel at what Al Gore had to say on the environment...and by doing so, made great fodder for the late night tv shows.

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

p.s. Another point on this subject of Climate Change. Birth Control as a solution...something none of our politicians will talk about. I guess votes for a party are all important.

[Edited on 11-2-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 01:56 PM

So what are you doing or going to do to help change climate change?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 02:17 PM

Wow that was really quick, not even a full page and we are into Al Gore, Communism, Toyoters and religion...There cant be any global warming , cuz its snowing here....We need to get Obama and George Bush into the mix...anyone?

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
So what are you doing or going to do to help change climate change?

TW, whether your question is a community one or addressed to me, I will answer for moi.

First, it is far from being proven that we (menaing humans) can or even should change the climate. First is educating yourself on the issue, second comes a rational decision as to what can be done.

The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives.

Some great ideas (to me anyway) might be:

Find a better way to generate electricity.
-with wind farming
-harnessing the ocean waves
-improving solar energy system
Also by
-developing alternate fuels-biofuels,etc
-nuclear power..end the scare.
-more experiments with water as a fuel..
-research, research, research..and then research some more.

And of course, harness our blustering politicians hot air.

[Edited on 11-2-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Quote:

you can make fun of david all you like....but he claims growing up as a boy the water level in his toilet was exactly the same height as it is today! you can't argue with that kind of logic! ;)

Hey, I really feel left out now. My toilets are the low flow kind. I guess water conservation is a hoax as well.
CaboSur
Nomad

Mood: Irrelevant

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 02:45 PM

What a HOOT !! Keep on rising !! Maybe in 200 years i will have beach front property and be able to dock my boat right in front of mi casa.

Unfortunately i don't believe a word that comes out of the UN
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 02:52 PM

We need to consider a few things :

1) Is the climate changing? [Y] [N]

2) Are human beings and their behaviours affecting this
change? [Y] [N]

3) Can humans change their behaviours that contribute to climate
change? [Y] [N]

My belief is "Y, Y, Y"

Let us differentiate the two issues....is it changing and are we affecting this change.

I think one can consider these questions without self-flagellation, but with some intelligent inquiry.

The issue is NOT the U.N., Bill Gore, or such side-show comments....

Get with the message, not the messenger :light:

[Edited on 11-2-2014 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1    3  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.