BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Juanico in Danger again.....
StraighouttaOside

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 06:13 PM
San Juanico in Danger again.....

Just thought that I should share this. I wish that I could make it to the meeting this Wednesday but just can't swing it. Bajanomads show up in force if you can!!

http://www.savethewaves.org/news/update-phosphate-mining-thr...
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 06:22 PM

good luck. Its an uphill battle..and some feel that Mother Nature can take care of herself.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 06:30 PM

Love the name StraightouttaOside!

Thanks for the link. Not sure where I stand.

[Edited on 11-4-2014 by Ateo]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
good luck. Its an uphill battle..and some feel that Mother Nature can take care of herself.

She will....in the form of another hurricane running up the west coast of Baja..laying waste to an offshore rig.

Wait for her. She is coming. All good things take time.

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 07:37 PM

It's Mexico money talks, talk to the rich surfers?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 07:59 PM

Straight

I live in Abreojos and have not heard any about this. To help me along, what evidence (factual studies) do you have that this dredging will impact the ecosystem...especially to your North...the Estuaries for the whales and the coast lines of lobster and Abalone.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 08:18 PM

Quote:

The project proposes using marine dredges to a) dredge phosphatic sand from the ocean floor and b) prepare it for transport using a desalination barge. The work area is located 12 miles from the nearest point to the coast and adjacent to the fishing area called San Juanico.

All things being equal, I see this as an alarmist posting that doesn't deal with the reality of a dredging/barge operation. And as this type of operation is weather sensitive, it certainly won't be conducted 24/7. Let's focus on reality rather than reactionism.....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 09:43 AM

I emailed josecarlos.cota@semarnat.gob.mx to express my views.

Their EIA states, among other points:
No testing to remote coastal areas has been determined. Due to the water depth and environmental considerations, there is minimal vegetation in this area.
[So too are the flats of Florida. Barracuda, shark, rays, crabs, halibut, etc, etc. require minimal vegetation.]
Seabed sediments are removed by a process similar to a vacuum cleaner . . and removed sediments to a depth of 30-60 cm. repeated dredging . . . can result in a lowering of the seabed by 5 m or more.
The direct impacts of dredging on the seabed include potential impacts on seabed organisms. Few if any of the seabed organisms that are removed in the path of the draghead are likely to survive the dredging process. 60-80% of the benthic fauna are removed.
[How can this be a good thing?]
Once the cargo hold is filled, overflow from spillways enters the water, in a dispersing plume below the surface where plankton occurs.
[And flows where? Into what current? Taking deposits where? To settle on what distant ecosystem?]

I only read a few pages. By any interpretation, it is a drastic disturbance to a BAY - most of the bay - which is a special geographic consideration on its own.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 09:50 AM

but it is 12 miles from land! I highly doubt that the currents flow right into 3rd point from 12 miles out.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater
Quote:

The project proposes using marine dredges to a) dredge phosphatic sand from the ocean floor and b) prepare it for transport using a desalination barge. The work area is located 12 miles from the nearest point to the coast and adjacent to the fishing area called San Juanico.

All things being equal, I see this as an alarmist posting that doesn't deal with the reality of a dredging/barge operation. And as this type of operation is weather sensitive, it certainly won't be conducted 24/7. Let's focus on reality rather than reactionism.....

actually, these large dredges do operate 24/7/365 without a care for weather. only a hurricane or maintenance would cause them to stop for a few days.

full scale seabed mining of phosphate has not been done. people have proposed this in namibia and new zealand, and got shut out by local opposition. now they are trying to trick mexico into allowing their environment to be guinea pig.

the miners will tell you the sea floor is dead zone. it's actually an ecosystem with sparse macroscopic fauna and flora, it is still an ecosystem, despite the apparent sparseness of flora and fauna.

the dredging will in fact destroy the seabed ecology at the dredging locations. the plume of sediment from dredge output will make local water column hostile to pelagic sea life. the effects on the environment are very large. one has to really consider if the economic benefits of mining outweigh the ecosystem destruction. the miners are hoping that being far offshore at depth makes their ruins "invisible." they are right, out of sight, out of mind.
i hope the fishermen are vocal and powerful enough to win against the power brokers in DF.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 10:18 AM

NEVER EVER take the word of a radical extremist on either side of an issue.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 11:30 AM

Facts are facts.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2550065-local-government-fis...
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Facts are facts.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2550065-local-government-fis...

Could be, but when it wants me to register to keep reading....see ya!!

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 11:56 AM
Sand Wars

Watch this:

https://www.knowledge.ca/program/sand-wars

Don't believe everything you think....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 12:06 PM

52 minutes?

can you summarize, Ged?

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
52 minutes?

can you summarize, Ged?

Okay, Woody.....since you haven't taken your Ritalin this morning....:lol:

The planet has a limited storage of resources. Unlike Walmart, when the shelf is empty, there is no resupply truck around the corner !

Sand is being dredged around the planet for various reasons (e. g. tourist beaches and mineral extraction). It is causing significant damage to the ecology around the planet. Some folks see the inherent dangers in this short-sighted and "greedy" practice.

Get a 6-pack of some nice Indian Pale Ale and watch the video with some friends.....it's worth an hour of your collective time.

A well-made documentary that tells us stuff that we likely were unaware of.

P.S. The T-shirts fit and are way cool :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 03:11 PM

WECOME to the club, straight.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaspuds
Junior Nomad

Mood: dum spiro, spero

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 06:34 PM

Don Diego sounds like a bad idea in any language

this story link goes to the la paz news site:

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/don-diego-un-proyecto-de-mineria-m...

... dripping w/ chubasco sauce
merlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 07:11 PM

I'm going. At the very least, I'm hoping to learn something.

12 miles out is way too close!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 07:36 PM

Looks like Oside threw a pork chop in the middle of a pack of poodles and split..:lol::lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.