BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RV parks in Puerto Penasco?
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 07:23 PM
RV parks in Puerto Penasco?

A few of us are thinking of going to Puerto Penasco after our January Quartzite trip. Any suggestions on what RV parks to use? I know it's winter but close to the water would be great

Also if the road from El Golfo to Puerto Penasco is complete and if so, what is condition?

Any other tips?

[Edited on 11-8-2014 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 08:21 PM

The road to Puerto Penasco is complete and El Golfo even has a nice Pemex Station there now. No problem with this road at all. A Good R.V. Park is right next to Penasco Del Sol Hotel on Calle 13. When you get to the middle of town area you will see the Calle 13 sign when you turn right going toward the Ocean. You will cross over the railroad tracks and just keep going to the very end of this street it dead ends into the Hotel and you can't miss the R.V. Park plenty of parking and easy to move your trailer in and out. Just across the street is Max's Restaurant a must for breakfast and night specials just great food there. The Hotel bar is nice also and they have a small shopping mall right there by Max's so you can get goodies for your trailer. Never had any problems in the 8 years I have been riding down there and it is safe enjoy. Take Care & Travel Safe----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 11:21 PM

Also, day trips into the Parque National El Pinacate are wonderful in winter. Incredible lava flows, calderas, desert flora and fauna including the local rare antelope are within an hour or two; used to be, you could camp and cruise at your leisure. Since the advent of drug running, it's now one of the hot-spots of where NOT to get caught alone overnighting, same as Organ Pipe Natural Monument. The main Park entrance is just off the main Sonoita-P.P. highway, well-marked. There are also tours and guide service in P.P. If you like volcanism, it's some of earth's youngest (Hawaii first!). The U.S. Apollo program trained there on the northwest area (very outback).

I have very fond memories of sitting on the crest of Cerro Rojo, watching the sun set (you can actually see Picacho Del Diablo by San Felipe from there), and the full moon rising on the eastern horizon, and the Sonoran Antelope to our southwest grazing in the twilight. We were van camping in an '84 GMC Vandura, circa mid-80's.

Say howdy to JJ's Cantina, be sure to get a 'NO SNIVELLING' license plate and a t-shirt. Too bad Arturo's Bar (I think?) is long-gone. The show started at around 10 PM, went on till almost sun-up; whole different time, whole different town. But, what ain't these days?
:coolup:

[Edited on 11-8-2014 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 05:27 AM

There is in RV park right on sandy beach. Not sure it is still open or what condition it is in since they have been working on the cruise ship port. Might be a huge dust bowl there by now.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ehall
There is in RV park right on sandy beach. Not sure it is still open or what condition it is in since they have been working on the cruise ship port. Might be a huge dust bowl there by now.
Last time I was there, about 6 years ago, Sandy Beach still had a small area for RV camping... I wouldn't suggest it for two reasons; it's always been known for a heavy rip-off area, and Sand Mountain right next door to the west is a hornet's nest of small ORVs from daylight 'till dark, and I mean by the hundreds at a time; there are several rental shops for the little beasts all over PP, and the road out and back is a non-stop mayhem of them racing out and back. I used to camp on the rocks to the west of Sandy Beach, but no more; all fenced off and closed to access. I'm sure a little internet search of PP on Google or Yahoo would yield the parks that are closer into town, contained, and safer camping.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 07:00 PM

Lol. All very true. I was quite a bit younger when we camped there.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 10:42 PM

We did 18 days at Sandy Beach, two winters ago, all on the Dry camp side. We enjoyed it until we saw the hoards of off road machines being hauled in just before we left (in February). The beach still hadn't had the rock work started. Not being used to not having space about us, some parks in PP did not look inviting to us. We did the road from 5 down to El Golfo and on to PP, a very nice drive once we found the connection toward El Golfo, had locals drive ahead and show the way. No security threats were noticed during the trip.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 10:42 PM

double post...

[Edited on 11-9-2014 by daveB]
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 04:42 PM

Playa Bonita..right on the beach...Old Rocky Point near Mannys

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.