Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Legal gun ownership in Mexico
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 11-15-2014 at 07:35 PM
Legal gun ownership in Mexico

I have been doing some research on purchasing and registering a few guns in Mexico. My research shows that it is legal to own guns for home defense.

Has anyone one on this board went thru the process?

Quote:
The Mexican Constitution says:

Article 10 - The inhabitants of the United Mexican States have the right to possess arms in their residences for their security and legitimate defense with the exception of those prohibited by federal law, and those reserved for the exclusive use of the military. Federal law will determine the cases, conditions, requisites, and places in which the bearing of arms by inhabitants will be authorized.

“The inhabitants of the United Mexican States” means Mexican citizens and, as defined in other laws, foreign citizens who hold a valid immigration status beyond FMM.[/quoute]
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 11-15-2014 at 08:09 PM

Here is a link to Rolly's website all about the rules that have to be followed...

http://rollybrook.com/guns.htm

I hear the whales song
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2014 at 08:42 PM

Thanks, that site is where the quote comes from. I'm interested in if anyone has actually registered a gun at a base.

saludos
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-15-2014 at 09:54 PM

Weapon has to be purchased from the military, or from a person who has already had it registered.

Cannot be imported from the US (unless you were involved in Fast and Furious - that is another matter)

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 08:14 AM

True on the registered gun statement. If you know someone who belongs to one of the gun/shooting clubs [the Sinaloa Cartel is not a shooting club] that's a good place to start. These people have lots of guns and will thin out there inventory. After that the process is fairly simple and fast.
A fee to the government is first paid at the bank, just like an FMM, but a mere 40 pesos, .......then the weapon along with the receipt in the hands of the registered owner are taken to the military base where they do the paperwork. Took an hour for that part.
Then, with your new permit you can legally transport the weapon to your house where it must stay.
With your new permit, you are also able to purchase ammo in Mexico.

I realize there are lots of unanswered questions here, but you'll have to take them up with the military.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 08:22 AM

One more important detail....on the fee application, I had to supply a CURP number that is on the Perm Res card. It was stressed that the number had to be correct. I'm assuming that is mandatory, but who knows?

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 08:59 AM

Sure you can get a permit to own a gun in Mexico, but you may as well kiss your a$$ good bye if you ever shoot a Mexican national with it.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 09:09 AM

That is why they invented dumpsters

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Sure you can get a permit to own a gun in Mexico, but you may as well kiss your a$$ good bye if you ever shoot a Mexican national with it.

aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 09:37 AM

Thanks for the all the info.

Seems straight forward and it's good to know that my wife can legally store a weapon in the house. The restricted calibers look sufficient.

saludos
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 12:02 PM

Quote:

Not so if he/she presents a threat. The weapon is permitted for in-house use and if necessary used just for that purpose. If someone, even in your house, wasn't a threat, why would you shoot him anyway? That would be like....murder.

aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Not so if he/she presents a threat. The weapon is permitted for in-house use and if necessary used just for that purpose. If someone, even in your house, wasn't a threat, why would you shoot him anyway? That would be like....murder.

Once I was upstairs with my wife in our bedroom. The oldest called out my name to come quickly. As I descended the staircase, the armed robber fled the house as he had our boys at knife point. Now as the boys are older and not in the house as much, mi chaparita is alone in the house more and more. I want to provide a means of protection, that's it.

No debate, no feeding the trolls. Just the simple right to protect ones family and home.

For the record I have never shot anyone, I hope not to and go to my grave from eating too much carnitas, pulling on a big fish the day after mucha chacachaca con mi esposa.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Meanwhile, you'll be cooling your jets in a Mexican jail, living in filth, and fending off sicarios and other assorted lowlifes until some corrupt judge decides whether or not it was justified, as the scumbag's family's attorney parades endless witnesses into court testifying to what a boy scout and family man he was before you cruelly gunned him down.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 12:43 PM

Quote:

Meanwhile, you'll be cooling your jets in a Mexican jail, living in filth, and fending off sicarios and other assorted lowlifes until some corrupt judge decides whether or not it was justified, as the scumbag's family's attorney parades endless witnesses into court testifying to what a boy scout and family man he was before you cruelly gunned him down.

Can't allow fear of the unknown to leave us vulnerable.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Can't allow fear of the unknown to leave us vulnerable.
:lol:I think I'd first consider the dumpster approach.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 01:49 PM

Quote:

:lol:I think I'd first consider the dumpster approach.

Everything must be considered....before, and after the fact.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.